Sign in to follow this  
cv91915

Where are You Staying and How are You Paying? 2019 Edition

Posted (edited)

Tonight: Courtyard DFW North.

When I booked this our corporate rate was solid ($154) compared to booking direct, but if I reserved the same room now I could stay for $84.

I'll pay with my Amex SPG.  I still have trouble saying Vonboy.

955VpkN.jpg

Edited by cv91915

I’m going to San Francisco in the beginning of September for the Metallica concert.

Any recommendations for somewhere decent near the new Chase Center? I’d like to be close to the arena, but a 20-30 minute Uber would be fine if I can get better quality or lower cost.

I’m looking for something nice but the friends I’m going with are on a tighter budget. Is it possible to get something in the sub $250 per night range in that area? 

On 2/23/2019 at 4:04 PM, cv91915 said:

I second-guessed this reservation an ultimately canceled it due to logistical issues, and I am really glad I did.

I booked an Econo Lodge in a different town about an hour away instead, which is much closer to the nursing home where my grandparents are (visiting them is the purpose of this trip).

I am really glad I did, because the weather is atrocious and this choice limits the amount of driving that will be required over the next 24 hours before I leave for San Diego.

There was freezing rain when I landed in Omaha around 9 this morning, and it's been downhill from there...

5cQbdn7.jpg

I've stayed at this Econo Lodge a few times before.  It's really basic lodging, but what it lacks in style it makes up in cleanliness.

N3WX8kx.jpg

Not the best view, however...

IlUadez.jpg

And I'm generally not a fan of places that assume I am going to steal the hangers.

UtjKiyM.jpg

Since I canceled my Sapphire Reserve earlier in the week, the next best choice to pay was my US Bank Altitude Reserve (for 4.5% back on the ~$74 stay).

Instead of earning a Choice Privileges points I opted for AAdvantage miles, and thanks to a current promotion I will bank 1,500 miles for this stay.  

I've been consistently getting about 1.7 cpm for AA miles,  so that's the equivalent of about $26 back in my pocket.

I just booked the same Econo Lodge for another trip to visit my grandparents at the end of the month.

Rather than book directly for $82 a night, I booked through hotels.com for $86.  I will get 4% back from TopCashBack, plus 10% of the room price toward a future hotels.com redemption.

Last time I booked directly and selected AA miles instead of Choice points for the stay, but the AA miles never posted. 

8 hours ago, cv91915 said:

And I'm generally not a fan of places that assume I am going to steal the hangers.

As compared to stealing neighbors' mail order goods?

Really sweet jacket.  Is it your mom's?

I just booked three nights at the Ritz-Carlton Tysons Corner in suburban DC for three nights in September.  Conference rate is $249.

I reserved with my Amex SPG/Vonboy, but I will probably pay with my US Bank Altitude Reserve for 4.5% back.  

On 7/13/2019 at 4:57 PM, cv91915 said:

I just booked the same Econo Lodge for another trip to visit my grandparents at the end of the month.

Rather than book directly for $82 a night, I booked through hotels.com for $86.  I will get 4% back from TopCashBack, plus 10% of the room price toward a future hotels.com redemption.

Last time I booked directly and selected AA miles instead of Choice points for the stay, but the AA miles never posted. 

New recliners!! 

Y97alIO.jpg

On 7/13/2019 at 4:57 PM, cv91915 said:

13 hours ago, cv91915 said:

New recliners!! 

Y97alIO.jpg

3AIXDOb.jpg

Going to spend a long weekend in San Antonio in a couple of months after getting an invite from the Hyatt Residence club down there.  $230 all-in for 4 days/3 nights, of course have to sit through their 90 minute spiel about how wonderful timeshares are.  I can't believe those people can sell those things with a straight face.  Getting a bonus 10K hyatt points which is worth around $140 give or take, so $90 net, plus get the 3x URs on the CSR which is worth at least another $10, so $80 for 3 nights, not too shabby.

Posted (edited)

JW Marriott Minneapolis, 9/5-6, paid with my annual free* night certificate from my Amex Vonboy. 

This is a 35,000-point-per-night property, so I maxed this card benefit.

Cash price for a 1 King Bed room = $267.99 ($234 pre-tax).

If I had booked this for cash I would have reserved a 2 Queen room for ~$241 ($210 pre-tax) instead, and then asked for a different room type at check-in.

sIkQjjy.jpg

* "Free" in exchange for the card's $95 annual fee.

Edited by cv91915

Posted (edited)

The Scottsdale Resort at McCormick Ranch, 9/3-5.  

Work function, rooms are prepaid.  

Standard room rate appears to be in the $100 range, which likely means this photograph is.... flattering.

RPguG9Q.jpg

Edited by cv91915

On 8/7/2019 at 12:30 PM, cv91915 said:

The Scottsdale Resort at McCormick Ranch, 9/3-5.  

Work function, rooms are prepaid.  

Standard room rate appears to be in the $100 range, which likely means this photograph is.... flattering.

RPguG9Q.jpg

So f-ing hot there hasn't been a soul at the pool, day or night.

rIgsvE6.jpg

On 8/7/2019 at 2:19 PM, cv91915 said:

JW Marriott Minneapolis, 9/5-6, paid with my annual free* night certificate from my Amex Vonboy. 

This is a 35,000-point-per-night property, so I maxed this card benefit.

Cash price for a 1 King Bed room = $267.99 ($234 pre-tax).

If I had booked this for cash I would have reserved a 2 Queen room for ~$241 ($210 pre-tax) instead, and then asked for a different room type at check-in.

sIkQjjy.jpg

* "Free" in exchange for the card's $95 annual fee.

Sometimes the glamour is just overwhelming.

wANhPVH.jpg

Tonight is night 1 of 2 at the Comfort Plus in Ely, MN.  I used two "free" nights + $53.99 on the US Bank Altitude Reserve for 4.5% back.

If we hadn't splurged 😛 on a suite, these two nights would have been free (the value of a "free" night is the average amount paid for the 10 paid nights that earned the reward).

4SX3k2K.jpg

HEsYy7j.jpg

Edited by cv91915

1 hour ago, cv91915 said:

Tonight is night 1 of 2 at the Comfort Plus in Ely, MN.  I used two "free" nights + $53.99 on the US Bank Altitude Reserve for 4.5% back.

If we hadn't splurged 😛 on a suite, these two nights would have been free (the value of a "free" night is the average amount paid for the 10 paid nights that earned the reward).

4SX3k2K.jpg

HEsYy7j.jpg

I like to camp too!

2 hours ago, cv91915 said:

4SX3k2K.jpg

HEsYy7j.jpg

First time I've ever had a decent view of the entrance to a root cellar.

kLHTXyx.jpg

Edited by cv91915

Econo Lodge Myrtle Beach. Ocean front for the next 4 nights. 

Choice Privileges Visa. 

Its quiet here. Tourist season is over for the most part as of last weekend.

Was supposed to pay about $250 for 4 nights. At check in, Patel told me the elevator was out until tomorrow, and knocked the total down to $125 for 4 nights with no effort on my part.

No damage from Dorian here. A lot of people had knee jerk reactions and canceled. Patel was grateful for the business. 

33 minutes ago, hegemony said:

I'm sitting on almost 300K hyatt points and it looks like I'm using them to book NYC

YrO7hNE.png

That's a great hotel and for 30K points it's a real bargain.

On 7/17/2019 at 2:36 PM, cv91915 said:

I just booked three nights at the Ritz-Carlton Tysons Corner in suburban DC for three nights in September.  Conference rate is $249.

I reserved with my Amex SPG/Vonboy, but I will probably pay with my US Bank Altitude Reserve for 4.5% back.  

I haven't objectively evaluated these options in a while...  

Better to take 6X Marriott points on the Vonboy American Express card or 4.5% cash on the Altitude Reserve Visa?  

We do get decent value from Marriott points, particularly when the fifth reward night is free and we're traveling internationally (we did these types of redemptions twice in the past two years -- at the Mira Hong Kong and the W in London).

Also, good morning from Tysons Corner.

Vel4vUe.jpg

Edited by cv91915

17 hours ago, hegemony said:

I'm sitting on almost 300K hyatt points and it looks like I'm using them to book NYC

YrO7hNE.png

It's sooo worth it!  We did this in April of this year.  I converted UR points to Hyatt, and then bought some points too to get one more night.  We did six nights at the Park Hyatt, and then a couple nights at a cheapie (but clean and new) place in Queens, just to make the trip to JFK at the end a bit more bearable (and I had run out of points).

The Marriott or whatever is in the way of the Central Park view, but it's whatevs.  Everything at the Park Hyatt was perfect for us. :)

Tonight:  Courtyard Santa Ana Orange County.

I'm paying with my US Bank Altitude Reserve for 4.5% back toward future personal travel.

I have a meeting nearby for most of the day tomorrow.  

After I arrived I decided that I couldn't bear the thought of eating dinner with some work people who are also staying here, so I'm currently eating a two-day-old bagel from Vons that I had the wisdom to shove into my bag before I left San Diego...

Tomorrow checking into a Sleep Inn in Richmond VA for a couple of nights.

Paying with Choice Privileges Visa.

10 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Tonight:  Courtyard Santa Ana Orange County.

I'm paying with my US Bank Altitude Reserve for 4.5% back toward future personal travel.

I have a meeting nearby for most of the day tomorrow.  

After I arrived I decided that I couldn't bear the thought of eating dinner with some work people who are also staying here, so I'm currently eating a two-day-old bagel from Vons that I had the wisdom to shove into my bag before I left San Diego...

Drippy morning.

Even more annoying is the design flaw in this room.  The bathroom door closes automatically unless you prop it open.

gsTdE79.jpg

kFfKM8H.jpg

1Mgu2a8.jpg

okay I'll play,

i'm objectively bad at this, I tend to pay with ... whatever is handy or whatever brand card I have for the hotel, and I almost always book through the hotel website (but sometimes hotel.com and sometimes I remember to activate ebates/Rakuten) but here goes: 

Next two weeks:

Best Western, Woodbury NY - probably will pay with one of the AA cards.  Nights 1-2 are $103, night 3 is $94.

MC Hotel, Autograph Collection, montclair, NJ - using points.  

Best Western Plus, Brooklyn NY - chosen because of its proximity to MIL's house.  Probably will pay with one of the AA cards.  Rates are $135, $140, $144.  

Sheraton Nigara Falls - will pay with the Marriott card.  $98/night.  I am most excited about free parking for the car that I will not have.

Renaissance Westchester Hotel - AAA rate.  Will pay with the Marriott card.  $135/night.

Early December, I have a room booked at the Four Points by Sheraton Chicago O'Hare Airport where I will pay with the Marriott card.  $107 corp rate.  Moving to another hotel for the 2 nights after that, booked through hotels.com but not by me. 

There's more coming up, but I'm tired and have a meeting 😂