Where are You Staying and How are You Paying? 2019 Edition

28 minutes ago, TheVig said:

South Carolina again next week.

Quality Inn

Choice Privileges Visa

Dinning and grocery will go on Amex Gold

Citi DC for everything else

Mr Rebates portal 6% CB

I think I’m gonna start my own thread since Choice Hotel properties will be my main focus for hotel stays in 2019. Highlight the points earning of the program.

Great idea.

From February 14-19 TAD and I will be staying at the Mira Hong Kong, across from Kowloon Park.

I paid for our room with 140,000 Marriott points (35,000 x 4, with the 5th night free), earned from credit card sign-up bonuses and paid Marriott/Starwood stays (mainly from business travel).

The-Mira_54_990x660.jpg

50797344.jpg

When she found out about our trip Mom decided that since she's never been to Hong Kong, she'd like to tag along.  After reminding her that this is no great distinction because she hasn't been anywhere, we agreed. 

I booked a second room for five nights for her, for the equivalent of  ~$1,050.  Her room rate comes with a free wifi hotspot that we can use anywhere in Hong Kong. 

I'll put the second room on the US Bank Altitude Reserve for 4.5% (3x points) back.

Dad is going to stay home and smoke cigars and do crossword puzzles, and of course worry that none of us will ever come home alive.

On 2/10/2019 at 7:08 PM, cv91915 said:

From February 14-19 TAD and I will be staying at the Mira Hong Kong, across from Kowloon Park.

I paid for our room with 140,000 Marriott points (35,000 x 4, with the 5th night free), earned from credit card sign-up bonuses and paid Marriott/Starwood stays (mainly from business travel).

50797344.jpg

When she found out about our trip Mom decided that since she's never been to Hong Kong, she'd like to tag along.  After reminding her that this is no great distinction because she hasn't been anywhere, we agreed. 

I booked a second room for five nights for her, for the equivalent of  ~$1,050.  Her room rate comes with a free wifi hotspot that we can use anywhere in Hong Kong. 

I'll put the second room on the US Bank Altitude Reserve for 4.5% (3x points) back.

Dad is going to stay home and smoke cigars and do crossword puzzles, and of course worry that none of us will ever come home alive.

This wasn't obvious to me from the photo I found online and posted above, but that's the bathroom enclosed in clear glass walls in the background.

Fortunately there are blinds, which are powered by electric motors and operated by a switch on the wall.

Since we can't share this moment on Facebook Live, here is a still image from my morning routine from the current vantage point.

EJH6q3K.jpg

I ended up putting Mom's room and the incidentals for ours on the SPG for 6 Marriott points/dollar, although I suppose I could still switch to the Altitude Reserve (the original plan) before checkout.

Edited by cv91915

39 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

This wasn't obvious to me from the photo I found online and posted above, but that's the bathroom enclosed in clear glass walls in the background.

Sounds like a nightmare for anyone with paruresis  

1 hour ago, cv91915 said:

Fortunately there are blinds, which are powered by electric motors and operated by a switch on the wall.

Since we can't share this moment on Facebook Live, here is a still image from my morning routine from the current vantage point.

EJH6q3K.jpg

I ended up putting Mom's room and the incidentals for ours on the SPG for 6 Marriott points/dollar, although I suppose I could still switch to the Altitude Reserve (the original plan) before checkout.

That looks similar to the set up I have seen in a lot of Hyatt room pictures in Japan... excepting the green chair and quantity of mirror. 

How's mom enjoying Hong Kong?

On 2/3/2019 at 3:04 PM, cv91915 said:

I just decided to make a stop to visit my grandparents on the way from Mudland to San Diego toward the end of the month.

I just booked one night at the TownePlace Suites in Sioux Falls for $84 (with 8% back from Mr. Rebates). 

I reserved - and will pay - with the Amex SPG (6x/$ on Marriott stays). 

I couldn't part with any Marriott points for a hotel stay that's practically free... plus I love it when a bug-eyed human stomach hands me two fists full of cash.

MrRebates_SmBlackGrn3.gif

I second-guessed this reservation an ultimately canceled it due to logistical issues, and I am really glad I did.

I booked an Econo Lodge in a different town about an hour away instead, which is much closer to the nursing home where my grandparents are (visiting them is the purpose of this trip).

I am really glad I did, because the weather is atrocious and this choice limits the amount of driving that will be required over the next 24 hours before I leave for San Diego.

There was freezing rain when I landed in Omaha around 9 this morning, and it's been downhill from there...

5cQbdn7.jpg

I've stayed at this Econo Lodge a few times before.  It's really basic lodging, but what it lacks in style it makes up in cleanliness.

N3WX8kx.jpg

Not the best view, however...

IlUadez.jpg

And I'm generally not a fan of places that assume I am going to steal the hangers.

UtjKiyM.jpg

Since I canceled my Sapphire Reserve earlier in the week, the next best choice to pay was my US Bank Altitude Reserve (for 4.5% back on the ~$74 stay).

Instead of earning a Choice Privileges points I opted for AAdvantage miles, and thanks to a current promotion I will bank 1,500 miles for this stay.  

I've been consistently getting about 1.7 cpm for AA miles,  so that's the equivalent of about $26 back in my pocket.

Spending tonight at a Holiday Inn Express in my home town of CLT for free. A while back I had to meet an employee who was staying here. While waiting in the lobby to take him to the airport, I dropped my business card into the community fish bowl to win a free night. Free night good for this hotel only.

10 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

CV you might will be stuck in Omaha for a couple days.

My flight is scheduled to leave from Sioux Falls at 6 p.m.  

This seems to be the far western fringe of the storm, so I'm not ready to give up yet.

As of 4:55 a.m. the morning is not looking good at FSD, however...

1z3b7tg.jpg

It doesn't look like much snow accumulated during the night, at least where I am.  

Windy, though...

Iek9prD.jpg

Edited by cv91915

With the roads in the condition that they were in, driving to the airport today was the most ill-advised thing I've done so far in 2019...  but I made it, and I'm en route from FSD-PHX.  :wave:

4G60X0y.jpg

Edited by cv91915

Posted (edited)

I have to go to Tucson on business next week.

Monday and Tuesday nights will be spent at the Westin La Paloma Resort.  Negotiated rate is $209/night.

Chase Freedom is paying 10x on hotels (up to $2,500) for the month of March, so that card just went into my wallet for the first time in as long as I can remember. 

This is the only photo of the hotel I could find that didn't make it look depressing. 

tuswi-exterior-9880-hor-feat.jpg  

Edited by cv91915

51 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

Monday and Tuesday nights will be spent at the Westin La Paloma Resort.  Negotiated rate is $209/night.

Chase Freedom is paying 10x on hotels (up to $2,500) for the month of March, so that card just went into my wallet for the first time in as long as I can remember. 

This is the only photo of the hotel I could find that didn't make it look depressing. 

Damn Chase offer.

Looks like I'll pay with the SPG.

On 3/1/2019 at 4:31 PM, cv91915 said:

KecMGZV.jpg

0npexQY.jpg

I'm staying every night in my house and each and every one of you is paying for that.  Thank you all very much!

4 hours ago, PotO said:

I'm staying every night in my house and each and every one of you is paying for that.  Thank you all very much!

You're welcome, and thank you.

7 hours ago, mec said:

You're welcome, and thank you.

It's I who should thank you!

And I must especially thank cv91915.  Every nickel of his share of the contribution goes directly into my account at the glorious Navy Federal Credit Union.  🤣

Posted (edited)

Sunday-Wednesday you can find me at the Courtyard Dallas Downtown Reunion District... $200/night.

Looks like the last four Coutyards I've stayed in.

nll3Etf.jpg

Meetings are at a hotel a couple of blocks away, but I'm a Marriott enthusiast whenever possible.

Paying with my Amex SPG for 6x...  the replacement Vonboy card hasn't yet arrived.

Edited by cv91915

On 3/23/2019 at 6:05 PM, cv91915 said:

Sunday-Wednesday you can find me at the Courtyard Dallas Downtown Reunion District... $200/night.

Looks like the last four Coutyards I've stayed in.

nll3Etf.jpg

Meetings are at a hotel a couple of blocks away, but I'm a Marriott enthusiast whenever possible.

Paying with my Amex SPG for 6x...  the replacement Vonboy card hasn't yet arrived.

yMNlzjT.jpg

Good morning from Dallas.

On 1/13/2019 at 7:36 AM, cv91915 said:

A conference I'm attending in April is being held at Disney's Yacht Club Resort.  :rofl: :swoon:  

Why not just burn me alive in Hell?

yacht-club-room.jpg?resize=640,406&ssl=1

I just booked two nights at the conference rate of $260, and put the deposit of one's night's stay on my Amex Platinum, which was stupid but convenient at the moment.  

Unless I'm burning through SUB spending on a new card I will likely pay for the remainder of the stay with my US Bank Altitude Reserve for 3X (4.5% back on travel).  

Right now I'm leaning toward PCing my Sapphire Reserve to a Freedom Unlimited prior to this trip.  The Sapphire Reserve would have been a logical place to put the spending.

This nightmare is now in process (just boarded PHX-MCO).  

The second night (which hasn't yet been paid) is going on my US Bank Altitude Reserve for 4.5% back, as planned.

TWO CHILDREN ARE SCREAMING IN THE ADJACENT ROOM.  ONE STUBBED A TOE.  THERE ARE AT LEAST FOUR RIDICULOUS ADULTS IN THERE, NONE OF WHOM ARE ATTEMPTING TO MAKE THINGS QUIETER.

In other news, I have a $32 cheese pizza en route from room service.