Sign in to follow this  
hegemony

I'm In Five-Figure Debt Because Of My Dog

Yeah I don't think Citi is gonna give two shyts about the dog or her depression. 

I feel so bad for her.... all that spend squandered on her Citi card.  :(

If only she had a clue, she would have collected 3-5 big SUBs. 

22 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

I was once over $100,000 in debt because of a Mercedes.  

She must have had expensive tastes.

I try to give that type a wide berth.

1 hour ago, Occam said:

If only she had a clue, she would have collected 3-5 big SUBs. 

Much like medical expenses for a human, you don't always have time to wait for an approval and the card to arrive.  You are making the decision on care then and there...been there with one of my cats.  Not a $15K decision, but it was a $3K decision.  Further, when it comes to medical care, things like a bonus become secondary to the decision-making...

28 minutes ago, centex said:

Much like medical expenses for a human, you don't always have time to wait for an approval and the card to arrive.  You are making the decision on care then and there...been there with one of my cats.  Not a $15K decision, but it was a $3K decision.  Further, when it comes to medical care, things like a bonus become secondary to the decision-making...

Did it not occur to you to read the article before commenting?

Further, it never ceases to surprise me that some people seem oblivious to humor...

I had to make a $1000 decision on cat once. The cat lost that decision. Now if it was medical treatment for my DW or myself, then the $1000 would have been spent.

Leadership sometimes involves making unpopular decisions.

17 minutes ago, TheVig said:

I had to make a $1000 decision on cat once. The cat lost that decision. Now if it was medical treatment for my DW or myself, then the $1000 would have been spent.

I did too.  On a 16 year old cat.  It was a win/win...he stayed alive and I got to cuddle him for two more years.

Yes, everyone thought I was crazy.

We have a three-figure limit per incident per cat (my spouse has two cats, although technically they are ours since I reluctantly agreed to both acquisitions).

A $1,000+ diagnosis means that the impacted cat gets ground up into sliders.

Always a difficult decision, even when amount means you'll end up living in a doghouse, ...I mean poorhouse.

I wonder what a pet thinks when you start taking him/her to someone that keeps torturing them, as they may have no idea that they're trying to save them.

1 hour ago, Burgerwars said:

Always a difficult decision, even when amount means you'll end up living in a doghouse, ...I mean poorhouse.

I wonder what a pet thinks when you start taking him/her to someone that keeps torturing them, as they may have no idea that they're trying to save them.

I used to take my dog into the vet all the time.   I would weigh her in the waiting room, give her a treat, and leave.  So 9 times out of 10 it was a fun visit.

2 hours ago, TheVig said:

We've spent well over $1000 on the two dogs at the vet over the past couple of years. Now if DW needed a $1000 treatment I'd tell her to go use some of those essential oils!! 😃

1 hour ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

We've spent well over $1000 on the two dogs at the vet over the past couple of years. Now if DW needed a $1000 treatment I'd tell her to go use some of those essential oils!! 😃

Use the oils on the dogs, too!

Had a 16-yr old cat that developed intermittent severe wheezing problems.   Referred to a university pet hospital who advised a lung wash, suggesting it might resolve the problem.

It didn't.  Cat was traumatized and next course of action was a $1500+ MRI to look for tumors.  I declined.

At euthanasia, cat sought the arms of a friend who accompanied me -- with a look of, "keep that a-hole away from me ... he's dangerous!".

$1700 in care bills.  I'm on the fence as to whether I'd do the wash again.  Suggestions are that it could have extended cat's life 2-4 quality years.  However, the final look in Tabitha's eyes have haunted me 14 years since.

(Last two cats passed of suspected neurological problems and lung tumors.  One passed soon after diagnosis at home in the night, the other euthanized, both without invasive investigative procedures.)

18 minutes ago, hdporter said:

Had a 16-yr old cat that developed intermittent severe wheezing problems.   Referred to a university pet hospital who advised a lung wash, suggesting it might resolve the problem.

It didn't.  Cat was traumatized and next course of action was a $1500+ MRI to look for tumors.  I declined.

At euthanasia, cat sought the arms of a friend who accompanied me -- with a look of, "keep that a-hole away from me ... he's dangerous!".

$1700 in care bills.  I'm on the fence as to whether I'd do the wash again.  Suggestions are that it could have extended cat's life 2-4 quality years.  However, the final look in Tabitha's eyes have haunted me 14 years since.

(Last two cats passed of suspected neurological problems and lung tumors.  One passed soon after diagnosis at home in the night, the other euthanized, both without invasive investigative procedures.)

Jeebus...have you had YOUR lungs checked lately?

(and sorry about your kitties)

As child growing up in farm country (Iowa), a .22 was the solution to most ailments a cat or dog may suffer from. Money for vet bills was spent on money producing animals.