pronto

Should I close Sapphire Reserve?

That is a question I'm grappling with. I'm so indecisive with this card.

Ok, so the AF is $450. I definitely make a travel category purchase every year that's above $300, so that brings the net AF down to $150. That is the amount I'm trying to justify to myself.

I was thinking about the rental car insurance benefit, but that is already covered by my personal auto insurance, so that is not needed.

I was also considering the Priority Pass membership benefit, but I never make use of that, even though I fly several times a year.

I was also considering the Global Entry benefit, which I definitely must have. But my current Global Entry expires 3 years from now, and I don't see the AF being much of a benefit to cover 5 years of Global Entry ...3 years from now.

So unless I'm missing something else, that leaves the value of the points. However, I don't think I'll be spending that much with this card. My daily driver is the BoA Alaska Airlines card (which is a very valuable card to me).

Am I missing something? Should I keep it just because it's my only VISA Infinite card...or keep it just because Chase would never let me apply for it again?

If you did an analysis and conclude that the card doesnt give you any value, then I would product change to anther Chase product like Freedom, Freedom U, or even the regular Sapphire Card with no AF.

8 hours ago, dvd said:

If you did an analysis and conclude that the card doesnt give you any value, then I would product change to anther Chase product like Freedom, Freedom U, or even the regular Sapphire Card with no AF.

Agreed.

I'm not sure I'll keep this card either, for many of the same reasons as OP.  

This approach allows you to PC back later.  

9 hours ago, pronto said:

Should I keep it just because it's my only VISA Infinite card...

Absolutely not, unless you use at least $150 of the exclusive Visa Infinite benefits every year.

Thank you both for your reasonable responses. I'm definitely leaning towards PC-ing it, if they will let me. I read somewhere that you have to pass the anniversary date before they let you PC the CSR. Is that true?

I'm keeping CSR.  3% travel cards are relatively commonplace, so keeping it makes sense so long as the added 1.5% on travel redemptions yields $150+/yr.   My annual T&E charges surpass $10k.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, hdporter said:

I'm keeping CSR.  3% travel cards are relatively commonplace, so keeping it makes sense so long as the added 1.5% on travel redemptions yields $150+/yr.   My annual T&E charges surpass $10k.

It's much easier for me to justify the US Bank Altitude Reserve.

$400 AF / $325 travel credit

12 annual Gogo wifi flight passes

[Already money ahead if I can use the Gogo passes -- AA has switched from Gogo to Viasat on many of its planes, and I fly AA exclusively]

4.5% back on travel

4.5% back on all mobile wallet purchases (for us, mainly groceries with Apple Pay)

The only practical difference (for us) is the Chase card has primary rental car protection, but that's not worth $150/year (I can get this for a fee with any of the Amices for ~$20/rental, and we don't rent cars for personal use more than a couple of times a year).

OK, now I"m certain my Sapphire won't see another year.  It'll be PC time when the AF hits.

[Note: The ability to transfer points to airline/hotel loyalty programs barely registers on my radar as a benefit, but for others it's the most compelling feature on the Sapphire Reserve.  US Bank has zero transfer partners, which is understandably a deal-breaker for some.]

Edited by cv91915

11 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I

[Note: The ability to transfer points to airline/hotel loyalty programs barely registers on my radar as a benefit, but for others it's the most compelling feature on the Sapphire Reserve.  US Bank has zero transfer partners, which is understandably a deal-breaker for some.]

Just want to highlight this, as this is a key component of choosing a rewards strategy.  For me, the ability to turn URs into United Miles, which I then redeem for $0.04-$0.05 per mile or better is a huge benefit of the Chase cards.  A lot of times the huge benefit of this ability (or AmEx & Citi and their respective partners) is overlooked when people look at simple numbers.  Just goes to show you really have to understand your spending and redemption patterns over the longer term to truly maximize CC rewards.

Posted (edited)

My spouse has ~300,000 AA miles, and I'm sitting on this little stash.

IfZLtTR.jpg

As it is, we can't use airline miles nearly as fast as we earn them.

Also, even after our five-night award stay at the Mira Hong Kong next month -- and our five-night redemption at the W in London in August of 2018 -- we will still have over 300,000 Marriott points with no specific purpose...  and I have 150,000 Hilton points pending the completion of an Amex upgrade/spending offer. 

If all of this wasn't true I'd be a lot more excited about transferring points.

I would wager that most people aren't similarly situated...  so please don't discount the value of the points transfer feature if your situation is different.  There can be a tremendous amount of value there.

Edited by cv91915

about 700k UA miles

600k HHonors points

190K Hyatt

>150K UR points

>100k Amex points

etc.

etc.

it is too easy to pay for JPMR if one travels I'll probably die with the card in my pocket.

18 minutes ago, hegemony said:

about 700k UA miles

600k HHonors points

190K Hyatt

>150K UR points

>100k Amex points

etc.

etc.

it is too easy to pay for JPMR if one travels I'll probably die with the card in my pocket.

I would trade some AA miles for UA miles.  The only way I can get TAD to Ankara on Oneworld is through Doha on Qatar.  I suggested it once and got an FOAD look in response.

2 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I would trade some AA miles for UA miles.  The only way I can get TAD to Ankara on Oneworld is through Doha on Qatar.  I suggested it once and got an FOAD look in response.

my two intl biz flights on AA last year put the airline on the same flowers list as southwest in my book

16 minutes ago, hegemony said:

my two intl biz flights on AA last year put the airline on the same flowers list as southwest in my book

One word: Edibles.

18 hours ago, cv91915 said:

My spouse has ~300,000 AA miles, and I'm sitting on this little stash.

IfZLtTR.jpg

As it is, we can't use airline miles nearly as fast as we earn them.

Also, even after our five-night award stay at the Mira Hong Kong next month -- and our five-night redemption at the W in London in August of 2018 -- we will still have over 300,000 Marriott points with no specific purpose...  and I have 150,000 Hilton points pending the completion of an Amex upgrade/spending offer. 

If all of this wasn't true I'd be a lot more excited about transferring points.

I would wager that most people aren't similarly situated...  so please don't discount the value of the points transfer feature if your situation is different.  There can be a tremendous amount of value there.

Why not adjust your earning strategy to favor URs (to get access to *Alliance/United) or go to strict cash (Alliant 3% card comes to mind) for a bit until you burn through some balances? 

1 hour ago, CTSoxFan said:

Why not adjust your earning strategy to favor URs (to get access to *Alliance/United) or go to strict cash (Alliant 3% card comes to mind) for a bit until you burn through some balances? 

Most of my miles/points inventory was a biproduct of other activities, including flying AA like it's a part-time job and staying dozens of nights in Marriott properties every year.  And SUBs, of course.

A chunk of AA miles came from Aviator spending too, but it was the EQDs that I was after, not the redeemable miles.  Now that Executive Platinum requires 15,000 EQDs and you can only earn 3,000 from spending I'm officially off that treadmill. 

Right now I'm chugging through a series of SUBs, and once there aren't any great ones left I'll probably switch to cash back.  

On 1/8/2019 at 8:55 AM, pronto said:

Thank you both for your reasonable responses. I'm definitely leaning towards PC-ing it, if they will let me. I read somewhere that you have to pass the anniversary date before they let you PC the CSR. Is that true?

You have to have had the card for at least one year.