slayerbizkit

How do I dispute hard inquiries and get them removed?

Posted (edited)

I'm currently at 4/24, and can finally apply for the chase cards I want. Ironically, 3 out of 4 of my inquiries are from chase. I didn't know about the 5/24 then, rule so I basically spammed applications, thinking it would work :( . I'm going to challenge all 3. I'd like to know what's the most effective way of doing this. I'm reading that certified mail is the way to go but I'm open to any and all suggestions. 

Edit: Dispute with the creditor or just go after the big 3?

Edited by slayerbizkit

Don't dispute legitimate inquiries.  You can create a big mess.

15 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

Don't dispute legitimate inquiries.  You can create a big mess.

What's the worse that can happen?

19 minutes ago, slayerbizkit said:

Your credit files get flagged for ID theft, which is hard to remove, and makes it difficult for future applications / inquiries to go thorough, and blood shoots out of your eyeballs.

Also you are also lying, which means something to some people.

I hear you. My plan B is to write a letter to the creditor and ask if they can change the HP to an SP. It's a long shot. I guess I should have explained myself more clearly. The chase pulls all happened in the span of the same day, mere minutes between applications actually. Imho, it should only count as 1 hard pull, but it's 3. 

15 minutes ago, slayerbizkit said:

I hear you. My plan B is to write a letter to the creditor and ask if they can change the HP to an SP. It's a long shot. I guess I should have explained myself more clearly. The chase pulls all happened in the span of the same day, mere minutes between applications actually. Imho, it should only count as 1 hard pull, but it's 3. 

Still scored as one, and no one cares.

Have some integrity and move on.

Well, after Chase gets thru blacklisting you for lying and the credit bureaus FUBAR your credit reports, then you have to deal with me. I'm worse.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk on a beach far far away.

chase 5/24 has nothing to do with inquir5ies. it is about new ban k card accounts.

5 hours ago, hegemony said:

chase 5/24 has nothing to do with inquir5ies. it is about new ban k card accounts.

The first sane response in this thread. You're correct. Thanks. 

10 hours ago, slayerbizkit said:

The first sane response in this thread. You're correct. Thanks. 

Actually, no it was not.  Consequences of applying for credit necessarily include pulls of the report.  Claiming a hard pull is not there with a legitimate basis ALSO has consequences.  THIS board, unlike others, does not condone guidance to lie in a dispute related to inquiries, especially in light of the minimal impact they generally have on a report. 

Fraud alerts exist for a reason and disputing inquiries that are legitimately yours is an abuse of that process and harms those of us who have a legitimate need for protections that exist related to actual fraud...

7 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Not the first correct one, however.

Here is my experience...

For over a dozen years I was following Dave Ramsey's advice and gave up all credit cards.  Finally I realized how stupid that was and realized how much easier life was with credit cards (if used correctly). By this time all my good credit had fallen off my credit report and I had to start from ground zero.

So, about 3 years right before I found this site I was up late one night and did a HUGE app spree.  I was rejected for about 70% of everything I applied for, but did get some decent cards.

Then I decided to try and get the HPs removed.  I sent letters to 20 creditors that had turned me down (and to the CBs). I got ZERO hits removed. I think the same people advising you here told me not to do it back then.  Like an idiot I ignored them.

The worse part was, I had been getting a bunch of pre-approval offers and those disappeared.  When you challenge an HP you get opted out of the pre approval process. I opted back in but it took months to start getting offers again. I usually don't reply to pre-approval offers, but Citi sent me one and it's one of my highest limit cards now.

Since then, I've been following the advice of this site and have every major card I've ever wanted and all with high limits, despite having a ton of HPs back in the day.

Bottom line, don't worry about your hard pulls.  After a couple of months they don't seem to matter that much. Any place that puts that down for a reason for a decline would have probably declined you anyway.

I thought the 5/24 referred to inquiries, not actual accounts opened. Hence, it would have been pointless to dispute inquiries, consequences or no consequences. /thread.