Irmacar

Collection agencies

I got a copy of my credit report and saw a collection agency had been added for ATT&T.  It is as also added to my daughters 

Credit.  It is not mine.  Scheduled to drop off later this year.  Should I fight or wait til it drops off?

On 1/3/2019 at 10:47 AM, Irmacar said:

I got a copy of my credit report and saw a collection agency had been added for ATT&T.  It is as also added to my daughters 

Credit.  It is not mine.  Scheduled to drop off later this year.  Should I fight or wait til it drops off?

I would fight that, if it is not you then fire away!

There is a specific method to dispute accounts that are not yours, rather than to get an auto-verify through E-OSCAR and then have them glued on for a very long time.

On 1/4/2019 at 3:59 PM, Lander said:

I would fight that, if it is not you then fire away!

There is a specific method to dispute accounts that are not yours, rather than to get an auto-verify through E-OSCAR and then have them glued on for a very long time.

+1.

Why ever would you let a negative TL that isn't even yours remain on your CR?

Which CRA reported this trade line, or does it show up on all three?  Something similar happened to me about 10 years ago. It only affected my report from one bureau, not all three. I discovered the false trade line belonged to someone with the same first and last name and exact date of birth, but we had different middle names and SSN. Should never have happened, but first one of his trade lines showed up on my credit report (it was a collection account for cellular service) and then I started getting calls from all sorts of collection agencies looking for him for medical debts, other cell phone accounts, etc.  I found out it started with Lexis/Nexis, which somehow started blending our files because of the similarity of our names and our identical birth dates.

Best to investigate how this happened and nip it in the bud.  Don't let it ride until it drops off. I actually had to hire an attorney to send a threatening letter to the CRA and Lexis/Nexis to get my situation fixed and ended up being able to get my entire L/N file deleted permanently as part of the settlement.

On 1/3/2019 at 9:47 AM, Irmacar said:

Credit.  It is not mine.  Scheduled to drop off later this year.  Should I fight or wait 'til it drops off?

Is she a minor? If so you should be able to get it removed for her, as nobody is supposed to extend her credit. If she is of legal age, she'll have to do her own dispute, I should think.

Given the reference to daughter, the question needs to be clarified as to whether this was a co-signer situation.  If your credit was used in any manner so that the daughter could be granted credit with ATT and she defaulted, then you are also screwed by her actions. 

Once the clarification is provided, additional guidance may be available...