Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

BOA which card to app when the BK drops in 2019?

I BK'ed BOA in 2009, and have not tried to apply with them since.

I assume I am off whatever blacklist they have by now, and was wondering which card the unwashed masses have had the most luck with here?

Looking for some decent cash back, something that grows, and maybe a sweet chunk of free money SUB.

The Cash Rewards has a 200/500 spend deal which looks good.

Scores should be in the 750+ area when the BK drops.

Thoughts?

I don't know that their credit standards are any stricter for one card vs. another, since they're mostly the same card.

Bank of America basically only offers two cash back cards:

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/cash-back-credit-cards/

I don't count the Cash Rewards, MLK, Susan B. Anthony, World Wresting Federation and Pinoy Pride as separate products because they have identical reward structures.  Looks like they all have $200 SUBs right now.

So you just need to decide if you want a base earning rate of 1.5 for everything, or a 1-2-3 category structure (with potential to amplify the rewards on any of these by 25-75% based on your Preferred Rewards tier).

In mid-January 2019 the Cash Rewards card will let you pick your 3% (5.25%) category.  Not sure about the others.

In addition there are two cash back cards that are marketed as travel cards (I hate this!) with better SUBs and different reward structures (one flat, one with bonus points for travel and dining).

Check out the Premium Rewards and Travel Rewards cards, but through the "cash back" lens.  SUBs are $500 and $250 for these cards at the moment.

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards/  

I created the thread linked below in part to help people pick a rewards card.  Go through your 2018 purchases and total up your spending by category, and the answer to the "which is the right card?" will answer itself.

Ignore some of our personal requirements (like "must be a V/MC") and just use the same logic.

If you are going to use your new rewards card on a regular basis for any meaningful expenses, I would err on the side of the best reward structure (vs. best SUB), noting that it may be possible to get the highest SUB and then PC the card to a different one later.

BoA also combines limits, so why limit yourself to just one?  Open three, get three SUBs, and then combine/close the ones you don't want.

Edited by cv91915

Just FYI, even though the BK may have fallen off your reports, they can definitely see the account in their records.  This doesn't necessarily mean you won't be approved, just that it may come up if you need to do a recon or ask for future CLIs.  Be prepared to discuss it. 

When I got my first BoA card the analyst asked me about the account I had in BK and about the BK.  It obviously wasn't a hinderance as I have gotten multiple BoA cards since and subsequently combined them into one card with my highest limit at $99.9K.

On 12/29/2018 at 6:20 PM, whipster said:

I BK'ed BOA in 2009, and have not tried to apply with them since.

I assume I am off whatever blacklist they have by now, and was wondering which card the unwashed masses have had the most luck with here?

Looking for some decent cash back, something that grows, and maybe a sweet chunk of free money SUB.

The Cash Rewards has a 200/500 spend deal which looks good.

Scores should be in the 750+ area when the BK drops.

Thoughts?

You don't have to wait.  Assuming your scores are decent, they will approve you.  An existing relationship helps, such as a checking account.

4 hours ago, NYCdude27 said:

You don't have to wait.  Assuming your scores are decent, they will approve you.  An existing relationship helps, such as a checking account.

Good advice. Also note:

-Even a minimal checking account will increase effective cashback on your BoA CCs by 10% (i.e., 3.3% vs 3%).

-There's a new velocity limit of 1/24 to (effectively) 1/36 on opening copies of each card. Better to start those clocks sooner than later.

-There's a $100 SUB for BoA checking available (albeit taxable).

-But if you can open a CC first, you may get a better targeted offer ($200-300) for checking.

3 hours ago, hegemony said:

why BOA? its cards are ho-hum at best.

For those rebuilding credit, it depends on who they included on the BK.  They could be Blacklisted from certain creditors.

BofA is more forgiving than most.

2 hours ago, NYCdude27 said:

For those rebuilding credit, it depends on who they included on the BK.  They could be Blacklisted from certain creditors.

BofA is more forgiving than most.

not in my post BK experience.

even so, there are better rewards cards out there. I only got a BA as I ran out of other SUB out there.