Sign in to follow this  
cv91915

What did people do before there were computers?

Look at old, or even not that old, movies. The boss has a desk with a telephone, maybe a calculator, and a pile of papers. The secretary had that and a typewriter.

Now most of us have two computer monitors to help us "work," check email, shop and watch YouTube. This is "progress." Employees in the 60's sure must have been bored sitting at a desk with nothing to do but stare at a telephone.

Edited by Burgerwars

Large companies would have rooms of ladies staffing "typing pools".

Us normal people had to wait until the credit card bills came in the mail in order to pay them. With a paper check. Speaking of paper checks, remember getting those back in the mail every month with our bank statements? I used to read the backs of them, it almost read like one of CV's passport pages, all the different places that check had been between the store and my bank.

LOL at the thread...mom and I were just having that same discussion yesterday while watching All the Presidents Men.

It started with the scene where they were looking for numbers using a shelf of phone books.  Then the assistant brings in something from a file room.  I commented that we have an entire generation that probably does not even know what a phone book IS or even how to use a library to do research...

9 hours ago, centex said:

LOL at the thread...mom and I were just having that same discussion yesterday while watching All the Presidents Men.

It started with the scene where they were looking for numbers using a shelf of phone books.  Then the assistant brings in something from a file room.  I commented that we have an entire generation that probably does not even know what a phone book IS or even how to use a library to do research...

If you asked a millennial what a "criss-cross" or "reverse phone book" was you'd get some serious shade.

I forgot about the dictation machine. I'm thinking I can watch some old "The Lucy Shows" to see how Lucy and Mr. Mooney used one, but I don't think they had one. Lucy just took notes on a steno pad while Mr. Mooney had to listen to her hairbrained ideas.

Lucy always had some 'Splainin' to do.

And before Lucy, there was "Yoo Hoo, Mrs.Goldberg." Not to mention "Pinky Lee" and "Big Brother, Bob Emery."

When I was a kid, I also had an abacus to do addition/subtraction. That and the log tables/slide rule for lesser precision, helped me speed through chemistry/physics problems.

Not sure, but I bet more youngsters know what an abacus is than a slide rule.

1 hour ago, cashnocredit said:

Not sure, but I bet more youngsters know what an abacus is than a slide rule.

They'd think an Abacus is the kindergarten toy found in the playroom at a daycare.

I had a college professor with a slide rule encased behind a piece of glass with a metal bar viz-a-viz a fire extinguisher. The sign on it read "In Case of Battery Shortage, Break Glass"

4 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

They'd think an Abacus is the kindergarten toy found in the playroom at a daycare.

I had a college professor with a slide rule encased behind a piece of glass with a metal bar viz-a-viz a fire extinguisher. The sign on it read "In Case of Battery Shortage, Break Glass"

:rofl:

Mad Men.

Women, liquor, and the occasional handshake.

On 12/25/2018 at 6:21 PM, IndyPoolPlayer said:

Large companies would have rooms of ladies staffing "typing pools".

Us normal people had to wait until the credit card bills came in the mail in order to pay them. With a paper check. Speaking of paper checks, remember getting those back in the mail every month with our bank statements? I used to read the backs of them, it almost read like one of CV's passport pages, all the different places that check had been between the store and my bank.

I stole one of these from my mom's box of cancelled checks, traced the signature with a sharpie to make it stand out, and then used that to guide my forgeries to get me out of school.

😇

On 12/26/2018 at 9:40 AM, centex said:

They did a thing on the news last November about millennials who planned to vote by absentee ballot but ended up not voting because they had no idea where to buy stamps.

On 12/26/2018 at 7:01 PM, Burgerwars said:

I forgot about the dictation machine.

This made me want to revive the díck tater photo, but it makes Marv blush.

On 1/12/2019 at 8:48 PM, Sidewinder said:

They did a thing on the news last November about millennials who planned to vote by absentee ballot but ended up not voting because they had no idea where to buy stamps.

Is that a joke? Here, absentee ballots are required to be accompanied with postage pre-paid envelope.

Hooray for Hoosiers; but I think here in Minnesota you're on the hook for postage.  I voted absentee in 2012 so I don't recall the envelope exactly; however I did mail it from the St. Louis Park post office on Louisiana Avenue.

A week ago, I mailed my car payment from the post office in Coon Rapids.