frankydank

Huge TU score drop after accidental missed payment

My wife has been working the past few years pulling her credit score up from the 500s to around 760-770. I track all of cards in Mint and we check credit scores monthly. Last night we realized that her TransUnion score had dropped 130+ points. After some research, we figured out why. She has a Comenity store card that has been opened for a number of years (from Loft, I think). At some point within the past year, she was offered an upgrade to the card, and she said sure, whatever. She made a purchase for less than $100 and figured she was fine because the account was set up for autopay. The account took on many of the old settings from the previous account, such as paperless billing, however autopay was not one of them. And of course, she never checked her emails, which would have let her know that there was a balance on the card. I couldn't see it in Mint because the number on the card had changed and all I could see was the old card, which looked fine. 

We paid it off this morning, but the credit score hit has really deflated her. I realize that this is all technically our fault, but I still feel that Comenity is a little shady in this whole situation. Maybe I'm just pissed. My question: Is there anything I can do about this? We've both worked quite hard to fix our credit and improve our scores and this is quite the setback. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

How is a company shady when they provide the required statements and the consumer chooses not to look at them?  This is NOT the bank's fault and there is no 'technically' to where fault or accountability sits. 

You MIGHT get some manner of relief by a well-written letter to the executive office but Comenity is not exactly noted for exercise of such discretion.  After all, that is the same bank that has shut accounts down after one month for too many inquiries, specifically the ONE from when they approved the account...

2 hours ago, Glacier said:

You can attempt a goodwill letter with Comenity.  However, for the late payment to appear on your CR that means you missed two payments in a row. 

Yeah, I didn't mean to misrepresent in the title. Thanks, looks like this is the route I will have to try.

58 minutes ago, centex said:

How is a company shady when they provide the required statements and the consumer chooses not to look at them?  This is NOT the bank's fault and there is no 'technically' to where fault or accountability sits. 

You MIGHT get some manner of relief by a well-written letter to the executive office but Comenity is not exactly noted for exercise of such discretion.  After all, that is the same bank that has shut accounts down after one month for too many inquiries, specifically the ONE from when they approved the account...

Thanks, very helpful.

This happened to me back in 2006 when I bought a house with my Home Depot card.   My dyslexic mind used part of my old address and part of the new street address, and I never got a statement.  I kept wondering and looked online, and I was at day 31,  I snatched that phone like a hot potato and called them real quick, paid it and begged for leniency.

They said  "NO."

I lost ~85 points on my scores.

6 hours ago, MarvBear said:

This happened to me back in 2006 when I bought a house with my Home Depot card.   My dyslexic mind used part of my old address and part of the new street address, and I never got a statement.  I kept wondering and looked online, and I was at day 31,  I snatched that phone like a hot potato and called them real quick, paid it and begged for leniency.

They said  "NO."

I lost ~85 points on my scores.

what kind of rewards did the card offer when you bought a whole house with it? :lol::wave:

This is just a minor setback, a miss on your wife's part. The initial hit to a credit score when the derog first appears is huge and no doubt it is depressing. However, it will quickly begin to recover as time goes on and more positive information is added (monthly on-time payments). 

You can write a goodwill letter, explain the situation and ask for a deletion, it doesn't cost you anything and always worth a try, but based on what you wrote, I don't think you'll get it, but try nonetheless.