Bman125811

Jefferson Capital & Verizon (and for WhyChat)

This is a 'continuation' of my original post in the medical billing forum for Wakefield & Associates that is not medically related - and mostly intended for WhyChat:

So I received my Equifax report today and only have two tradelines on it.  A current credit card, which is never late, etc etc.

However, there is an entry from Jefferson Capital for an old debt from Verizon (not sure how it got to be $561 but that's not relevant here).

I need your opinion on the following:

I was able to retrieve my old credit reports from 2014 off of an old external hard drive.

My most recent Equifax report dated 12/10 shows:

(Jefferson Capital)

DOFD: 01/2013

DMD 1st Rptd: 12/2015

BOTH of these are clearly and undeniably incorrect.

The actual dates - from reports from 2014  are:

(Verizon - OC)

DOFD: 02/2013

DMD 1st Rptd: 08/2013

One is off by a month and the other is off by 2 yrs, 4 months. The most important one being the date of first major del.

My questions are:

1)  Should I do a regular DV with Eq asking for:

"Please advise me as to the name and address of the original creditor, the name of the account holder, and the reported date of first delinquency,as any account I might have had at one time would be obsolete.

Please advise me as to the correct name and current address of this creditor, the name of the account holder, and the reported date of first delinquency,as any account I might have had at one time would be obsolete.

If you can obtain this information, I also would need the name of the person providing this data, and the manner in which it was provided in order that I may pursue additional legal remedies."

https://whychat.me/initdispltrsol.html

(With blue background/blue handwritten ink)

(The above is what I sent to TU & Exp and am awaiting on their response.)

2)  Or should I do a "jack attack" that I have seen on here where you dispute each and every entry?

3)  What is the difference in sending by priority mail vs. certified.  Both can be tracked and neither has to be signed for.  About a $3 difference in cost of mailing.  Just curious.

Other info on this TL from Jefferson:                                From Verizon in 2014

Months Revd: 35                                                                  1

Creditor Calssification: Financial                                             Blank                                     

Status:  Collection Account                                                    Collection Account

Type of Account: Open                                                          Open

Type of Loan: Debt Buyer Account                                         Telecommunication/Cellular

Whose Account: Individual Account                                       Individual Account

Additional Information: Collection Account.                            Collection

Your thoughts please as I plan on sending this out tomorrow if I can get to the Post Office before they close.  I have to get either the Priority/certified numbers before I can send it.

I would encourage anyone reading this to also read your link to Attorney Lawrence Rubin.  I have read it,  but need to go back and read it 'more slower' without any interruptions.

Thanks again for your help and the Creditboards forum.

I got a collection with Jefferson Capital Systems deleted verizon wireless. Did you dispute it at all? I never disputed with credit bearu, sent a dispute letter to Jefferson with tracking and it got deleted almost immediately. Let me know how it goes 

30 minutes ago, Killbadcredit said:

I got a collection with Jefferson Capital Systems deleted verizon wireless. Did you dispute it at all? I never disputed with credit bearu, sent a dispute letter to Jefferson with tracking and it got deleted almost immediately. Let me know how it goes 

I have disputed it with TU & Exp - they both received dispute letters on the 6th.  Waiting for an answer.

Just got Equifax's report out of PO Box today.  They are next for dispute letter, unless advice is given otherwise to send directly to Jefferson.

I'll update this and my medical collections issues as warranted.

8 hours ago, Why Chat said:

Wait until your medical disputes are resolved before disputing any non medical ones as otherwise your disputes will be merged. 

To dispute non medical accounts follow the same guides;

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

https://whychat.me/SOL PROGRAM GUIDE.html

This would apply even though Equifax has no medical collections?  There are only two TL's in my entire Eq report - a Capital One credit card and this Jefferson Capital collection.  If I dispute Jefferson with Eq would that possibly take care of TU and Exp also???

Thanks

My most recent Equifax report dated 12/10 shows:

(Jefferson Capital)

DOFD: 01/2013

DMD 1st Rptd: 12/2015

BOTH of these are clearly and undeniably incorrect.

The actual dates - from reports from 2014  are:

(Verizon - OC)

DOFD: 02/2013

DMD 1st Rptd: 08/2013

The DOFD difference of one month is not very significant. The best you'll probably get is that one of them will change it. The dates first reported are probably correct; there would be two. One from the OC when it occurred, and a second one from the debt buyer when they bought the account. The 6 month gap for the OC looks like they waited until charge off.

As for asking for a litany of information like you did, I have never heard of an FDCPA type request having any weight. The FCRA requires that you provide them with proof of your claim, not the other way around.

" As for asking for a litany of information like you did, I have never heard of an FDCPA type request having any weight. The FCRA requires that you provide them with proof of your claim, not the other way around. "

I haven't done anything with this yet.  I thought that the date of first major del. had to be reported as the same date between the OC (Verizon) and the CA (Jefferson).  According to TU and Exp the expected drop off date is 2022, and not 2020.  Which would be based on the Dec 2015 date and not the actual 1st date of Aug 2013.   Either way they are both out of the SOL for my state (SC) so my only concern is in trying to have the TL deleted.  Thanks for your reply.  I'll check back later this afternoon or evening for any other replies.

1 hour ago, Bman125811 said:

This would apply even though Equifax has no medical collections?  There are only two TL's in my entire Eq report - a Capital One credit card and this Jefferson Capital collection.  If I dispute Jefferson with Eq would that possibly take care of TU and Exp also???

Thanks

No, obviously if you have not disputed a medical account to Equifax there is no reason to delay disputing your non medical accounts to them.

The Verizon bill would have a SOL date starting on the date of billing, NOT the date of default. It is a service bill and is covered under your State's UCC laws ( Universal Commercial Code) . Any date provided by a CA would be the date the account was assigned/sold/acquired by them and would have NO bearing on the SOL or obsolescence date.

https://whychat.me/States/state-sc.html

Does anyone have an "average" amount of time that it takes Exp and TU to respond to disputes.  They both received my disputes on 12/6.  Just curious if there is an "average" time for them to respond.  Have another one with EQ that isn't medical related they got on the 21st.

I suspect they wait the full 30 days usually,  or more and with this being Christmas and News Year's.

Hope everyone reading this had a Merry Christmas and will have a Happy New Year.  Thanks

On 12/16/2018 at 10:45 PM, Killbadcredit said:

This is for Killbadcredit and WhyChat

I disputed the Jefferson Capital TL with Equifax.  They have received the dispute letter.  I have had no response from EQ yet but I noticed on Credit Karma that it is now showing as "Closed".  Still shows a balance due but is now listed as a closed account.

Isn't this just as bad as a regular collection account?

I received my new and updated report from EQ today and the results of the dispute.

The results are:

The Information you disputed has been verified as accurate, however, information unrelated to your dispute has been updated.  Account # XXXX

The results are: We verified that this item belongs to you.   This account has been updated.  Additional information has been proveided from the original source regarding this item.  If you have additional questions about this item please contact Jefferson Capital yadda yadda yadda.

This TL does not appear on the updated credit report.  On Credit Karma it shows as a "Closed Account"

This report is dated Jan 8.  And just by coincidence, I also received a friendly letter from Jefferson Capital today dated Jan 8.

It states that they know it is too old to sue but that they would be happy to collect 30% on the balance.

Question:  Isn't a "closed account" showing a balance due just as bad as a collection account?

Should I now send a DV to Jefferson???

Thanks for any help.

Trying to get an answer to this (from above post)

Question:  Isn't a "closed account" showing a balance due just as bad as a collection account?

It depends. If it is showing in your "derogatory"section then yes it is just as bad and sometime WORSE ( if it is dated more recently than the prior reporting)

It states that they know it is too old to sue but that they would be happy to collect 30% on the balance.

Oh, I bet they would. I would ask them if they would be just as happy spending close to six figures in arbitration per Verizon's agreement.

It has been 48 days as of today that I sent a dispute to Experian.

They received letter on 12/6.  I have had no response from them.

What are my options now with them?  Should I write them a letter and ask for all disputed items be removed?  Ask what the status of their "investigation" is?

Would a telephone call be sufficient (I'd rather have everything in writing)?

Some advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

So I check the mail today and there is a letter from Jefferson Capital.  A very nice letter.

It says that due to my dispute yadda yadda yadda they are ceasing collection activities and are "requesting" the CRA's to delete the TL's.

39 minutes ago, Bman125811 said:

So I check the mail today and there is a letter from Jefferson Capital.  A very nice letter.

It says that due to my dispute yadda yadda yadda they are ceasing collection activities and are "requesting" the CRA's to delete the TL's.

:clapping: