Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Letter from law firm representing Portfolio Recovery assoc

Living in Texas and law firm has Texas address. Was contacted by Rausch Sturm law firm who say they are representing portfolio recovery associates. 

They list the original owner of debt as Barclays credit card so I know it’s real. I want to pay the debt.  It isn’t past the 4 year statute in Texas because original debt is from 2016. 

However, They do not indicate an offer. They just indicate I can contact them via phone or mail to discuss options.

Should I wait till they make an offer? Should I call them or write a letter? I’ve seen websites discussing advantages of both calling and mailing so I’m not sure. 

I can afford to pay as much as 2000 of the listed 10k. Or can I do some kind of hardship payment plan?  The law firm haven’t offered either option. Portfolio Recovery did, but I guess these guys have the debt now, so should I make a first offer or wait? 

I am sure that before someone gives you any advice, they are going to want more your situation such as: Do you have any assets that they can attach a judgement to ? Your job situation are you currently working and can afford a reasonable payment? Bankruptcy ? Maybe it would be in your best interest to contact a lawyer. There are many options available just be patient and follow the advice of others here that will offer you valuable advice. "JUST DON'T PANIC". Good luck.

Barclay's has arbitration in their agreements; I would file for it before they sue. PRA is so bad at refusing arb AAA won't even take any cases involving them anymore. They paid maybe $300 for the account, and the initial fees for them in arb are 4-5K. 98% chance they won't pay up. If they refuse, you can have a lot of fun with them, and usually you'll be getting a check, not them.

5 hours ago, twotrouble said:

I am sure that before someone gives you any advice, they are going to want more your situation such as: Do you have any assets that they can attach a judgement to ? Your job situation are you currently working and can afford a reasonable payment? Bankruptcy ? Maybe it would be in your best interest to contact a lawyer. There are many options available just be patient and follow the advice of others here that will offer you valuable advice. "JUST DON'T PANIC". Good luck.

I can afford some kind of payment plan but a lump sum of more than 2k is out of the question—I can’t afford more than that amount. 

31 minutes ago, legaleagle2012 said:

Barclay's has arbitration in their agreements; I would file for it before they sue. PRA is so bad at refusing arb AAA won't even take any cases involving them anymore. They paid maybe $300 for the account, and the initial fees for them in arb are 4-5K. 98% chance they won't pay up. If they refuse, you can have a lot of fun with them, and usually you'll be getting a check, not them.

How would I file this kind of letter? Is there a template to follow? 

I read in the Barclays card agreement: “As permitted by applicable law, you agree to pay all collection expenses actually incurred by us in the collection of amounts you owe under this Agreement (including court or arbitration costs and the fees of any collection agency to which we refer your Account) and, in the event we refer your Account after your default to an attorney who is not our regularly salaried employee, you agree to pay the reasonable fees of such attorney.” 

So if I file for arbitration and the conclusion is that I do have to pay, will I end up paying more than the original 10k debt? 

Do you have any assets that they can get a judgement? Can they garnish wages from your job? Are you judgement proof ? There are several types of bankruptcies that you may talk to an attorney about. 

1 hour ago, twotrouble said:

Do you have any assets that they can get a judgement? Can they garnish wages from your job? Are you judgement proof ? There are several types of bankruptcies that you may talk to an attorney about. 

I’d much rather settle the account than declare bankruptcy or get sued.  How do I approach them? Or do I wait for them to make an offer for settlement? 

On 12/4/2018 at 8:03 AM, SentMol said:

How would I file this kind of letter? Is there a template to follow? 

Read the pinned topic on arbitration.  You file on line. You need the credit card agreement, too.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By richrod
      Hello, everyone.

For the past week or so, I've been reading up on ways to deal with a CA that recently showed up on my credit report. I stumbled upon Why Chat's HIPAA program, read through it, and while it's quite clear, I just want to make sure it is the right thing for me. I'd also like to use it to ask potential follow up questions along the process.

It showed up on my credit report June 28th, with a Date of First Delinquency of February 20th, 2017. At the moment, it only shows up on Equifax and Experian. It's from a hospital visit in California, and I am from and currently live in Arizona, and while I did have medicaid at the time, I was told that it would probably not cover it, but they'd let me go through with it anyway. 

I started to get bills from the Riverside County Medical department, but I initially ignored them, as I was an unemployed college student, and my mom advised me it wouldn't matter anyway; The bill was for $991. I'm now 23, and have been working hard on my credit score, this is the only blemish on my record, and I would love to get rid of it completely.

I have a few old addresses on my credit report, but they're all from years before this account, and I've lived at my current address for around 11 years now. Do I still have to go through the deletion process for those other addresses? Other than that, I'm thinking my first step would be to fill out and send the "Initial HIPAA Dispute Letter" to the two CRAs that show the collection, is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any help!

• By Humbled82
      Hello Credit Board

I am newbie to this forum, but have been lurking for a while. I had recently pulled my credit report and I am having major issues with my student loans. Apparently I have loans that have been transferred \ sold and now are with a new company. The original loan was open back in the 2000's but they are still showing on my credit report. I am not sure how I can have these removed. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you in advance
    • By Jhono235
      I have a Sprint collection  with a hefty amount that is reporting with Source RM, the only collection on my file. Dofd is 12/2018. It was originally passed to Convergance, and most recently Source RM. I DV'd Source RM and received bills and a contract for a financed phone. Is this sufficient validation? Also, should I just leave this alone until the sol passes and then work to get it removed? Also how will the merger with T-Mobile affect my ability to get this removed?
    • By lola2020
      I am working on cleaning up a few items on my credit reports and not sure which way to start.  There are two Paid Collection medical bills showing on my reports, which is hurting my ability to rebuild my credit after divorce.  They both are being reported by the same medical collection agency that is a local company where I live.  They are both old, but still have a couple years to fall off my reports.  One for $73 has a delinquency date of 3/2015, assigned to collections 1/2016, paid in full 7/2016.  Last reported to credit bureaus on 6/2017,    The other one for $164 has a delinquency date of 5/27/15, assigned to collections 10/2016, paid in full 12/2016 and was last reported on May 18, 2020.  Should I call them and request a goodwill adjustment to have them remove the reporting, write a goodwill letter, or move to the HIPAA letter?  

I also have one account in collection status that I disagree with.  I had disputed it via the credit bureaus, but only got a notation in the credit reports that the debt was conforming, which I am sure means they contacted the collector and they said I owed the debt.  This is a credit card debt that appears to be sold to a collection agency.  The debt amount is $370, delinquency date 12/2018, turned to collection 6/2019.  I am not even sure what this is, but may just be continual late fee charges on account I though was closed.  Where should I start with this one?  Pay for delete or validation letter?

I made the mistake of ignoring my credit report after divorce in 2016 and have a thin file, but these three things are seriously hurting my ability to get a credit card acceptance.  I don't want to keep having hard credit pulls for applications when I know these items are a big reason why I am being turned down.

Thanks for letting me tell my story.
      Lola2020

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    LJELLIOTT30
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines