hegemony

NEW BREACH!!!!! (MARRIOTT)

Just to clarify the topic title. Yes, it's in Marriott's court now and they have to clean it up, but the breach was actually Starwood's database before Marriott's acquisition. Just as with Yahoo's sale to Verizon, I wonder if Starwood people kept it quiet until after the sale to not hurt the terms of the deal?

Edited by pronto

5 hours ago, pronto said:

Just to clarify the topic title. Yes, it's in Marriott's court now and they have to clean it up, but the breach was actually Starwood's database before Marriott's acquisition. Just as with Yahoo's sale to Verizon, I wonder if Starwood people kept it quiet until after the sale to not hurt the terms of the deal?

sure it involved limited brands but the merger was in 2016... Marriott owns this. Given the cluster fck of the rewards program merger clearly marriott's IT folks are not the sharpest tacks.

1 hour ago, hegemony said:

sure it involved limited brands but the merger was in 2016... Marriott owns this. Given the cluster fck of the rewards program merger clearly marriott's IT folks are not the sharpest tacks.

So they sat on this for two years or more before disclosing it to the compromised customers?

13 hours ago, Burdell said:

So they sat on this for two years or more before disclosing it to the compromised customers?

I didn't say that. the official word is they discovered it in september. so it took over a year for marriott IT to get a clue.

On 11/30/2018 at 6:18 PM, cashnocredit said:

And IT security is where the big bucks are. For both the White Hats and Black Hats.

I agree. I work in IT and it's easy to say that a company's IT sucks when things like this happen, because mainstream IT folks (myself included) know nothing about how to stop professional hackers. Few enterprises have the strategy or funds to employ hackers as a defensive measure. But it's safe to assume that more will pay attention to this going forward.

These breaches are unstoppable. Companies need to stop hoarding customer data on devices that are online. What also needs to be done is actually make the data useless to outsiders. We need to go back to when using personal data was inconvenient.

1/2 billion customers sounds awfully high. Does Marriott even have that many customers? 500,000,000 I think is more than the entire population of the U.S., Canada and Mexico combined. If true, their I.T. security department is doing a hellofa job. They might as well create a public website where all their data can be downloaded, because by now everything has been stolen.

If it makes anyone feel better, there's no way the bad guys can make use of all that data. What are they going to do? Apply for 1/2 billion credit cards? 

I think we've reach the point where there is no data left to steal. The bad guys must be stealing the same stuff over and over again.

Edited by Burgerwars