Sign in to follow this  
pacemaker67

Medical Collection on TU only - OAC from Auto Accident

I have a medical collection on my TU account only from OAC for $537.00. The debt was from a Xray visit in may of 2014.  Collection was placed 1-2015 and continues to update.  All other bills at that time were paid by American Family who the was apparently reimbursed by the commercial insurance policy of the company whose truck driver hit me from behind.  They paid all phys therapy, doctor visits, etc during that time.   I do know for absolute certainty that I gave them my AmFam card prior to treatment just as I did for all treatment.

What is the best way of dealing with this?  Thank you.

Follow the guides;

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

https://whychat.me/GUIDE HIPAA PROGRAM.html

Your first step after opting out and deleting old addresses ( if you have moved since the date of service) is to send  TU the initial dispute letter;

https://whychat.me/hipaadisp.html

Come back with your results to THIS POST for further instructions (if you need them)

Thank you.  I had opted out and have the first letter all written in light blue "bitchcakes" type.  I wanted to ask before I sent it though being that this should have been paid by ins.

It probably WAS paid by your insurance. Try to get your EOMBs (explanation of medical benefits) from your insurance Co. They are supposed to keep those records for 5 years. If it had NOT been paid then it would have shown up on ALL your credit reports years ago.

1 hour ago, Why Chat said:

It probably WAS paid by your insurance. Try to get your EOMBs (explanation of medical benefits) from your insurance Co. They are supposed to keep those records for 5 years. If it had NOT been paid then it would have shown up on ALL your credit reports years ago.

Thanks,

The accident was in may of 2014 and the collection appeared in January 2015 so it has been there a while.  I purposely did not attempt much credit repair until recently as I wanted to look un-collectable.   The jury is still out whether I started too early but have about 2 months of SOL left on a bunch of larger CO's plus a couple MCM collections.  That said, the companies insurance could have paid this and I would have no way of knowing by my insurance without calling American Family as it was auto insurance that was paying this and not personal medical right? 

Should I go ahead with letter #1 or do something else?

Yes, go ahead with the initial dispute letter.

How are you figuring your SOL?? What State are you in?? Go to my website and scroll down to the list of States and click on your State.

8 hours ago, Why Chat said:

Yes, go ahead with the initial dispute letter.

How are you figuring your SOL?? What State are you in?? Go to my website and scroll down to the list of States and click on your State.

Thank you.  I don't know about the medical debt SOL but all of the CO's and the two MCM collections are from CC debt.  I am in Illinois, 5 years it seems for SOL.  Those dates are coming up in FEB - MAR with one straggler in APR of 2019.

Medical debt has a 4 year SOL under the UCC. check the link on the Ill. page at the bottom "Advocates"

On medical accounts the SOL starts on the date of medical service, on credit card accounts it starts on the first missed payment date.

If you are going to send a dispute on the NON medical accounts use this;

https://whychat.me/SOL PROGRAM GUIDE.html

and wait until your medical account dispute is complete, otherwise your disputes will get merged.

Edited by Why Chat

Thank you again.  It would seem that the SOL expired on the medical debt this past May.  I have the initial letter ready to go to the PO tomorrow and I followed all of the instructions.

Just received a response from TU.  It came back "verified as accurate".    The initial dispute letter was received on December 6th.  So how long do I wait for a response from OAC  (the CA)? 

Which letter should I send to the CA?   Thank you.

Don't hold your breath waiting for a response from the CA.

Follow the guide

https://whychat.me/GUIDE HIPAA PROGRAM.html

and send the CA the medical DV

https://whychat.me/ltrcavalhipaa.html 

and as soon as you have proof of receipt, send TU the follow up dispute

https://whychat.me/ltrcavalhipaa.html#DISPUTE

If you can access your TU report via the "back door" and make SURE it is still actually there on your report and reporting as disputed by consumer. TU has, in the past sent notices of verification but actually deleted.

Thank you.  I will check the backdoor and see if I can get a report.  If it is still there, I will send the letters.

For the CA letter, I would use this lead sentence if I do not get anything from them in the next couple days correct? "This letter is being sent to you in response to your recent fraudulent verification of an unknown medical account on my (name of CRA) report"

Thank you.

22 hours ago, pacemaker67 said:

Thank you.  I will check the backdoor and see if I can get a report.  If it is still there, I will send the letters.

For the CA letter, I would use this lead sentence if I do not get anything from them in the next couple days correct? "This letter is being sent to you in response to your recent fraudulent verification of an unknown medical account on my (name of CRA) report"

Yes

Thank you.

Ok, So I did get a response today from OAC. 

"This letter is in response to dispute pursuant to 15 U.S.C1692G of the FDCPA.  We have identified you as the correct consumer..."   They enclosed a copy of a statement from the radiologists office. 

Does this change anything aside from wording in the first sentence?

Did you ever get your EOMBs from your insurance??

What was the date on the statement from the radiologist's office. Did the statement include any medical data or did it just give billing amounts??

Edited by Why Chat

Resurrecting this.  I just had a very frustrating conversation with the radiologists office.  They did bill the insurance company who apparently did not pay.  She offered me a settlement but said she would have to update the CA.  From what I understand, that would drop my score as it would update from February of 2015 to now and become more recent?  

The dispute I tried earlier went nowhere and was validated.  What options are there, if any, aside from waiting until when?  7 years after the service on May 22, 2014?  Threaten to sue them and the insurance company?  This just sucks.

Is it still only reporting to TU??

If so , did you send the follow up dispute to TU after you sent the medical DV to the reporting CA??

Contact your insurance Co. try to find out WHY the bill was denied. (make sure it WAS actually denied) and find out the amount they WOULD HAVE/SHOULD HAVE paid if it had been properly submitted.

You can pay THAT amount OR the amount of the settlement offer to the Dr with the HIPAA letter insert "a"

https://whychat.me/hipltr.html

PS I will be unavailable until Dorian passes-probably Wed. or Thurs.

Edited by Why Chat

Thank you Why.  Yes, only TU.   I will dig out the response I received from TU and see what they said.  Came back verified as I remember.  I never did follow up as my assistant went on medical leave around that time and was seriously buried, more than normal.  

I also will find out from my insurance co why this was not paid when everything else was.  They were being paid by other drivers ins.

Stay safe and thank you!