shadekitty

DHS wants to use credit scores for naturalization/citizenship

RISK OF CLOSURE

Trial Balloon. It's not even an official regulation proposal yet. It's just something written by a staffer close to the DHS Administrator. Considering she is on the hot seat, I wouldn't give this too much chance of making full regulation.

10 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

Trial Balloon. It's not even an official regulation proposal yet. It's just something written by a staffer close to the DHS Administrator. Considering she is on the hot seat, I wouldn't give this too much chance of making full regulation.

I'd take it even further and say it will never make it.

Although the author of the article is a dunce when he measures this proposal against the often-mentioned (incorrectly) Chinese system, he does get a few things right as to why the DHS proposal is moronic.  Then there's the pesky little issue of many potential citizenship candidates who don't even have credit score.  

This opinion piece gets off to a pretty limp start.

What kind of person racks up debts and doesn’t pay them? Your credit score is an attempt to answer this question. 

Guys - Just a preemptive warning to not let this get into a political discussion.  Give the topic and tensions around it, it will be given a VERY short leash.

*putting on the tap dancing shoes*

It is a well known fact many (not saying most, not saying all, just many) nations use some sort of algorithm measuring a potential naturalized citizen's impact upon the social systems in place. I know from others experiences, Germany and UK both measure the impact a naturalized citizen would have upon the social system - in terms of employment potential including positive tax impact, social assistance requirements, and even upon the health care systems of those nations which have socialized medical services.

If you read the proposal itself (at least the opinion piece writer did link to it) the part about credit scoring is a very minor piece of the entirety. The rest of the proposal is basically establishing the parts of the equation that could be used to evaluate whether a potential naturalized citizen would have a positive or negative impact upon the social systems of the US. A good chunk of this is already in place based upon legislation and regulations passed in 1999.

I'm surprised they propose using US credit reports/scores. There are CRAs in most countries and a potential immigrant would most likely have one from the home country. They differ somewhat because different things are allowed on CRs in each country. Not likely to be much of a factor though. The proposal, taken as a whole, seems pretty much what one would expect.

On 11/25/2018 at 5:48 PM, cashnocredit said:

I'm surprised they propose using US credit reports/scores. There are CRAs in most countries and a potential immigrant would most likely have one from the home country. They differ somewhat because different things are allowed on CRs in each country. Not likely to be much of a factor though. The proposal, taken as a whole, seems pretty much what one would expect.

Most - but not all countries - have some sort of consumer reporting system in place. My guess would be perhaps other nations don't have the consumer laws in place like the US does, and consumer access to said credit report may be consider proprietary, confidential, or a trade secret among creditors. After all we in the USA didn't have the "right" to see whats in these credit reports until the latter decade of the 20th Century - heck we didn't even know they existed until the 1970's and really couldn't access them until what the 1990's?

Then again, when the DHS staffer wrote this document, when writing "credit report" it could mean to include mega-databases such as Lexis-Nexis.

5 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I married a dirty foreigner with perfect credit.

My condolences.  To him.

On 11/27/2018 at 5:14 AM, PotO said:

My condolences.  To him.

But TAD came out of that okay. He received his US Citizenship. Now TAD is free to divorce CV and live happily ever after.

19 minutes ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

But TAD came out of that okay. He received his US Citizenship. Now TAD is free to divorce CV and live happily ever after.

Smart guy.  :)

Edited by PotO

He forgot to have me sign a prenup, so this works for me either way.

Edited by cv91915

17 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

He forgot to have me sign a prenup, so this works for me either way.

Remember, once you've gone TAD, you've really been had.  :rofl:

Topic Under Special Surveillance Please be aware that management is watching this topic closely and it is at high risk of being closed.  Any members who violate our terms of service once this tag has been applied to a thread will be immediately warned and, depending on the mood of the administrators, may be restricted from posting for 24 hours.  Please consider your response carefully.