NVuLakLnez7d

How to keep apartment inquiry off credit report?

Any suggestions on how to rent an apartment without having it show up on my credit report?  I have a stalker not mention a judgement and I don't want them to be able to find me.

I guess I could dispute the inquiry as fraud after getting the apartment?

22 minutes ago, NVuLakLnez7d said:

I guess I could dispute the inquiry as fraud after getting the apartment?

No because it isn't fraud.  

22 minutes ago, NVuLakLnez7d said:

I have a stalker not mention a judgement and I don't want them to be able to find me.

The judgment has a myriad of ways of finding you to collect and the inquiry from an apartment complex is so low on the list it is ridiculous.  When your new address reports that will tell them where you are and it WILL report.  If you need utilities, cable or to change your address with other creditors all of that will trigger a new address on your reports.  

As for the stalker it all depends on how crazy they are and if they are not registered with the bureaus they cannot see your credit report or inquiries.

As for the stalker it all depends on how crazy they are and if they are not registered with the bureaus they cannot see your credit report or inquiries.

Don’t be so sure. Some stalkers work in financial institutions. Some even work in law enforcement.

40 minutes ago, CreditSucksNot said:

No because it isn't fraud.

I am new here, so I don't know the policies.  But my question wasn't a moral one, it was a practical one.  Let's avoid opinions as to morality, right and wrong, politics, etc.

If I report it's fraud, it will probably be deleted right?

The judgment has a myriad of ways of finding you to collect and the inquiry from an apartment complex is so low on the list it is ridiculous.  When your new address reports that will tell them where you are and it WILL report.

Not sure what “myriad of ways” you are thinking of? I don’t use my actual address for anything ever and I have all my info suppressed in all public data bases like Lexis, Westlaw, even the DMV... none of which has my actual address anyway. I don’t even order a pizza using my real name.

As I stated in my post, I am only concerned about the inquiry. The inquiry typically lists the name of the property. I will not use the new apartment address for anything ever (I use a different address for all mail) so it will never show up on my report other than in the inquiry.

Stalkers are scary, but having an extra layer of privacy helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, tiggerlgh said:

Actually Inquiry will likely show the company they used to pull the credit from not the complex

No, it shows both the company and then "on behalf of" the property.  At least that's what my report has from the last time I moved and looked at two places.  That's what I am trying to avoid.

Update:  From my Experian:

ON-SITE MANAGER INCInquired on 02/06/2017

Rental on behalf of XXXX RESIDENTIAL G. This inquiry is scheduled to continue on record until Mar 2019.

Edited by NVuLakLnez7d

6 hours ago, NVuLakLnez7d said:

I am new here, so I don't know the policies.  But my question wasn't a moral one, it was a practical one.  Let's avoid opinions as to morality, right and wrong, politics, etc.

If I report it's fraud, it will probably be deleted right?

First, we do not and will not promote doing fraudulent acts, which is what you are looking to do.  Reporting something as fraud when it isn’t is in itself fraudulent.  Second, the apartment complex will be able to prove you made the INQ quite easily as they have your application.  Third, you may open up a whole other can of worms with reporting something as fraudulent.  Lots of risk for little to no benefit.

If this “stalker” has as much access to your info as you make it out to be, he/she won’t need an apartment INQ to find you.  If it is that significant you should get law enforcement involved.

25 minutes ago, CTSoxFan said:

First, we do not and will not promote doing fraudulent acts, which is what you are looking to do.  Reporting something as fraud when it isn’t is in itself fraudulent.  Second, the apartment complex will be able to prove you made the INQ quite easily as they have your application.  Third, you may open up a whole other can of worms with reporting something as fraudulent.  Lots of risk for little to no benefit.

If this “stalker” has as much access to your info as you make it out to be, he/she won’t need an apartment INQ to find you.  If it is that significant you should get law enforcement involved.

First to be clear I'm not "promoting" anything fraudulent or otherwise, simply asking a question.  You say "lots of risk" but didn't really identify what that means... which was the point of my question.

Second - apartment complexes don't do the credit checks directly they use a third party as in my example above so they wouldn't be involved in the dispute.  More importantly, I don't think a whole lot of effort goes into investigating inquires, but I could be wrong.

And finally, law enforcement is very much involved but that is really irrelevant to my question.

I realize now however that my question is outside of the scope of this board... it's more security/privacy related than credit.

Edited by NVuLakLnez7d

I answered your question, but maybe not clearly enough.  No, it will likely not be deleted.  The company who did the INQ (whomever is is, the apartment complex or a 3rd party) will easily be able to verify it.

As far as risk associated with reporting INQs as fraudulent, do some searching here and on Google.  Obviously not every experience is the same, but has caused issues with legitimate accounts.  Not worth the risk for one INQ.

13 minutes ago, CTSoxFan said:

I answered your question, but maybe not clearly enough.  No, it will likely not be deleted.  The company who did the INQ (whomever is is, the apartment complex or a 3rd party) will easily be able to verify it.

As far as risk associated with reporting INQs as fraudulent, do some searching here and on Google.  Obviously not every experience is the same, but has caused issues with legitimate accounts.  Not worth the risk for one INQ.

You say it's "not worth the risk" which is something only I can decide... and only if I understand what the risk is.

What do YOU believe the "risk" is?  I have the feeling it will be deleted without question.  Why wouldn't it?  There's no money involved.

Edited by NVuLakLnez7d

28 minutes ago, NVuLakLnez7d said:

You say it's "not worth the risk" which is something only I can decide... and only if I understand what the risk is.

What do YOU believe the "risk" is?  I have the feeling it will be deleted without question.  Why wouldn't it?  There's no money involved.

Again,  I answered this in my last post.  You obviously are looking for someone to agree with your plan to report an illegitimate case of fraud, which I personally won’t do, nor would most of the posters here.  Additionally, we won’t promote that behavior here.

I am trying to help you here.  I am telling you there are risks, including having legitimate accounts closed, not to mention what the backlash may be from the apartment complex when their new renter states that the application for the apartment was a fraudulent application.  Maybe you’re right and it goes smoothly and nothing happens...but what if it doesn’t?  I know if I were managing the complex and you did that I would have a huge issue with it...

I’ve given you all the advice I have, it’s up to you to decide what to do with it.

Edited by CTSoxFan

11 minutes ago, CTSoxFan said:

Again,  I answered this in my last post.  You obviously are looking for someone to agree with your plan to report an illegitimate case of fraud, which I personally won’t do, nor would most of the posters here.  Additionally, we won’t promote that behavior here.

I am trying to help you here.  I am telling you there are risks, including having legitimate accounts closed, not to mention what the backlash may be from the apartment complex when their new renter states that the application for the apartment was a fraudulent application.  Maybe you’re right and it goes smoothly and nothing happens...but what if it doesn’t?  I know if I were managing the complex and you did that I would have a huge issue with it....

Again - I'm not "promoting" anything.  Understanding consequences isn't "promoting".  If I ask you how much a speeding ticket costs that doesn't mean I am suggesting you speed.

You keep saying there are risks but aren't being very specific.  What do you mean by legitimate accounts closed?  Are you saying my bank would close a credit card because I disputed an inquiry?  I don't follow.

Also as I already explained the apartment complex isn't involved.  The data source is On-Site Manager.  I'm not even sure a dispute would get back to them, but if it did and I explained the reasoning they'd probably be supportive.

I have to weigh the risks of my security and privacy vs. the risk of disputing an inquiry.  So far, I don't see any risk in disputing... it seems the worst possible case is they don't agree with me and the likely scenario is they delete without question.

You're clearly looking for validation, and you won't get it here.

If you dispute an inquiry as fraudulent, do you really think it will end there? The credit bureaus have been under a microscope the past few years for not detecting ID theft and the like quickly enough.  So yeah, your bank could close your credit card based on a claim of a fraudulent entry because not only do the CRAs share with each other when a fraud claim is made, your other creditors could find out.  It's probably not 100% certain that will happen, but it has happened in the past.

If you're worried that your stalker can get access to your credit report, then you should consider freezing your reports - no one can pull it then, unless you explicitly contact the CRA and un-freeze it.  

23 minutes ago, Pam said:

You're clearly looking for validation, and you won't get it here.

If you dispute an inquiry as fraudulent, do you really think it will end there? The credit bureaus have been under a microscope the past few years for not detecting ID theft and the like quickly enough.  So yeah, your bank could close your credit card based on a claim of a fraudulent entry because not only do the CRAs share with each other when a fraud claim is made, your other creditors could find out.  It's probably not 100% certain that will happen, but it has happened in the past.

If you're worried that your stalker can get access to your credit report, then you should consider freezing your reports - no one can pull it then, unless you explicitly contact the CRA and un-freeze it.  

No, I am not looking for validation.  I am looking for factual information and all I'm getting is vague opinions.

No, I don't believe a bank could or would close an account based on a dispute.  If a dispute gets denied, it gets denied.  Are you suggesting that when a dispute gets denied that all other unrelated creditors get notified?  Really?  Think about the liability that would create.

You also seem to be completely overlooking the fact that stalkers can and do work for banks, credit bureaus, financial institutions, and law enforcement.

I think we are all best served when we keep discussions to facts and let individuals make their own decisions based on their own unique circumstances.  If I have to make a questionable dispute to prevent a mentally ill person from killing me or my family, then that's a decision I'll live with.

Edited by NVuLakLnez7d

A fraud alert will likely be out on your credit report. That is how your other creditors may get scared. Either way what you are talking about doing is fraud and is not promoted here.

12 minutes ago, tiggerlgh said:

A fraud alert will likely be out on your credit report. That is how your other creditors may get scared. Either way what you are talking about doing is fraud and is not promoted here.

I am not sure why everyone keeps saying "promoted".  I am not promoting anything.  I have repeatedly stated that.

I have simply said "what happens if you do X".  That in no way promotes or encourages anything.  Not sure why that's not clear?

You are talking about committing fraud and asking the ramifications. To me that’s promoting but use what ever term you want, you have the answer to your question.

13 minutes ago, tiggerlgh said:

You are talking about committing fraud and asking the ramifications. To me that’s promoting but use what ever term you want, you have the answer to your question.

Ok - well I hope I have made clear that it is NOT promoting.

Again, if I ask you how much a speeding ticket costs, I'm not suggesting that you speed, nor am I saying that I will.

I hope that clears that up for you?

Edited by NVuLakLnez7d

It's semantics at this point.  You are asking what will happen if you commit fraud by reporting an inquiry as fraudulent when it isn't.  You can call it whatever you want...suggesting, promoting, asking, inquiring.  We have all opined in the same manner, it is a stupid idea and have outlined reasons why.  If you want more in depth reasons, I suggest searching Google, but you may not find much as it is a bad idea.

We (the board owners and moderators) do not condone committing fraud in any fashion.  As Pam said above, if you're looking for validation or someone to tell you it is a good idea, you won't find that here.

I think that this topic has now run its course, and will be closed to further responses.