Sign in to follow this  
Lukic011

USAA Credit Union

Link on joining:  https://www.usaa.com/join/start/

USAA is a savings bank, not a credit union. Years ago they had a non-service member way of joining (a limited/open membership) but that ended in August 2013. That's the way I joined. I got in just in the nick of time. A few weeks later they changed things with no warning.  I have a checking, savings and credit card, which is basically all I want. I'm not eligible for most insurance products.

Edited by Burgerwars

If I wasn't already a customer, USAA would be far down the list of places I'd pursue for any type of banking or credit services.

The only value we've gotten in 5+ years are a handful of no-fee international ATM withdrawals (and refunds for the other bank's ATM charges).

Painful lesson: you cannot tie a USAA ATM card to a checking account, only to savings, which we didn't know until we needed money in Amsterdam.  At Centraal Station the ATM just blinked angrily at us and spit out an untelligible error message when I attempted to get cash from the only USAA account we put money into before we left on our trip.

I transferred money from checking to savings that evening, and was able to withdraw cash the next day.

Most of my interactions have been variations on this theme.

5 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Painful lesson: you cannot tie a USAA ATM card to a checking account, only to savings, which we didn't know until we needed money in Amsterdam.  At Centraal Station the ATM just blinked angrily at us and spit out an untelligible error message when I attempted to get cash from the only USAA account we put money into before we left on our trip.

I only have a USAA checking acct, and it has an ATM card which I've used both domestically and internationally for years with no issues.  Perhaps your ATM card is from your savings acct?

11 minutes ago, get.randy said:

I only have a USAA checking acct, and it has an ATM card which I've used both domestically and internationally for years with no issues.  Perhaps your ATM card is from your savings acct?

You probably have a Visa or MasterCard branded debit card. 

I'm talking about the type of card that can only be used at an ATM.

I was also challenged the last time I posted this, so I sent a secure message to USAA and posted an image of the response, which confirmed what I was saying.  

14 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

You probably have a Visa or MasterCard branded debit card. 

I'm talking about the type of card that can only be used at an ATM.

I was also challenged the last time I posted this, so I sent a secure message to USAA and posted an image of the response, which confirmed what I was saying.  

Fair point, mine is a Visa.