Sign in to follow this  
Tom3

Question about Amex Preapproval

My credit has gotten better, and I would like to add a few cards soon. I thought that Amex would be about a year away, since I still have 2 old installment charge offs. When I first visited the prequal site, I had been getting preapprovals for the Gold, BCE, and Clear. It was at the highest APR, so I didn't think it would be worth applying. Last week, I checked again, and those preapprovals were now gone. It now lists only one, a Delta Gold with no annual fee, 50k miles after a minimum spend, and the lowest APR that they offer. I'm very surprised by the lower APR, because my Experian score is not great. It's at 662 according to CCT. I would have expected the 26.74%. I don't know if it's worth a try. Would I have a chance to convert this to BCE or even Cash Magnet before the annual fee is due? I have an 8 year old Discover with a $4k limit that I PIF, and a $6k card with my CU that I don't use at all (minimum spend to keep it active).

In my experience, I applied for the gold blindly and got it with no issues. I have in theast two years excepted the following offers without hard pull. Platinum, Delta, Magnet, Hilton, and two loans. By far the best CC, Charge cards I have ever had. Product changing to avoid a fee won't work from a Charge to a revolver. My advice is to except the Delta and wait for a pre-approval to appear on your account without hard pull. So far inhave not paid an annual fee thanks to the points accumulated and the benefits.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Since you are still building your portfolio I wouldn't open a card I didn't intend to keep for 2-5 years.  Pick the Amex with the best rewards for your spending and lifestyle and apply for it.  

APR doesn't matter if you use the card correctly.

AFs don't matter if you pick the right product (meaning you can easily get back more in rewards and benefits compared to other cards than the AF costs you).  I am at $2,625/year in AFs and counting, but get multiples of that back.

A card that isn't useful doesn't become useful because you can get one without an inquiry.