Sign in to follow this  
MarvBear

Dense Bear need help!

Sometimes I just don't understand texting on the phone.   Used to be a big Blackberry fan, but switched to Android.   Now use Samsung devices.  Samsung has their texting app, and my carrier Verizon has their version of the app that I prefer. (it shows me "sent" and delivered").  Why are their so many other texting apps?  The other day my niece sent me a group text from an app called GroupMe.  It came thru on my regular app, but I had to download the GroupMe app.   I also downloaded WhatsApp, but soon as I found out they were part of Facebook, I deleted my account.    What is the point or advantage of "other texting apps since you can send group texts with the apps already on the phone or from the carrier?   This mystifies me logically.

Oh, and BTW, I ain't changing to apple.

Cannot help...still doing the Blackberry thing and just use the basic messaging that comes with the Android platform it uses for the OS.  I like having a real keyboard and not that touchscreen fauxboard. 

It's all big data. Collecting more of it and using it to profile consumers and provide more efficient ways for businesses to market stuff. In theory we should see fewer ads but the ones that we do see are more likely to be something we may have an interest in.

Math majors are in big demand. 50 years ago it was mostly true that math PhDs went into academia. With moderate pay.  Now it's in big data to enhance marketing, including marketing of credit products. The other large consumer of PhDs (and C++ programmers) is the high frequency trading banking groups. They make money the old fashioned way, one nanosecond at a time.