zildjian

Workers Comp Bill reported as collection - Help needed to dispute/remove

In the process of getting our ducks in a row for purchasing a new house in Feb 2019, my Wife and I pulled all our reports. My reports are clean, but on my wife's EQ report a medical collection showed up. It is only reporting on EQ. This was from back in Oct 2016 for an injury at work for which a workers comp claim was created. There was some back and forth at the beginning with getting the Medical Provider (Urgent Care Clinic) the proper information for my Wife's employer workers comp information but eventually we got it all squared away, or so we thought. Fast forward to last week and we see the collection account. We've never been contacted by anyone, the clinic or the CA about this.

From what I understand the Provider is not to bill the patient for anything in Florida but I'm not sure on the specific statues. Below is the info as reported in EQ.

What are my options?

Date Reported: Oct 08, 2018
Collection Agency: DOCTORS BUSINESS BUREAU 
Balance Date: Oct 08, 2018
Original Creditor Name: CRITICARE CLINICS INC 
Account Designator Code: INDIVIDUAL_ACCOUNT
Date Assigned: Nov 28, 2017 

Original Amount Owed: $233 
Creditor Classification: Medical or Health Care
Amount: $233 
Last Payment Date:
Status Date: Oct 08, 2018 
Date of First Delinquency: Oct 18, 2016
Comments: Medical

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Regards,

Jose

23 minutes ago, zildjian said:

From what I understand the Provider is not to bill the patient for anything in Florida but I'm not sure on the specific statues.

That is only for care that is ordered AFTER the WC case is open and the carrier authorizes the treatment.

24 minutes ago, zildjian said:

What are my options?

Start with the case worker on the WC case and find out if the bill was paid.

Follow the guides;

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

It is URGENT that both you and your wife OPT OUT before applying for a mortgage. This will help prevent your reports from being POISONED by JDBs ( junk debt buyers) who get SOLD your data by the CRAs and will report old/invalid and/or accounts with a similar name to your reports.

Yes, get the EOMB ( explanation of medical benefits) from your wife's WC case worker.

Send each CRA where this account is reporting this;

https://whychat.me/hipaadisp.html

from the HIPAA program guide

https://whychat.me/GUIDE HIPAA PROGRAM.html

you are NOT disputing the validity of the account-- only the validity of the right of the reporting CA. This account may have been mistakenly placed by the OC ( that is what your EOMB will tell you) may have been obtained by the CA in a "data dump" from the OC ( original creditor health care provider) or may be actually still owed by your wife's WC.

Thanks Guys! I just did the Opt Out and I requested the EOMB. I'll report back when I get the EOMB. Should I send the HIPAA Disp before getting the EOMB or does it not matter?

Ok, I got the EOMB with all the paperwork as far as what was billed and what was paid. The WC paid all invoices. What's weird is that the amount of the collections which is $233 doesn't appear anywhere in the invoices paid by the WC.

The $233 seems to be a charge related to the actual Dr. itself who looked at my wife. This could be balance billing or an errorneous billing. I looked at the clinic online and they have complaints similar to mine.

In the EOMB it does have a line stating "A Healthcare provider may not bill the injured employee for services rendered for a compensable work-related Injury. Unless otherwise stated , reimbursement has been made in accordance with the Florida Workers' Compensation Health Care Provider reimbursement  manual and/or manual for  hospitals and ASC."

How should I proceed? Do I only send the HIPAA dispute letter to EQ and nothing to the CA?

Is it only reporting to Eq.?? If so, yes, send the dispute letter to Eq. 

You have not been contacted by the Dr.'s office so you don't know at this point HOW the CA wound up with the account. It MAY have been a billing error, but it is more likely that it is careless handling of accounts by the Dr.'s office that allow paid or invalid accounts to wind up with a CA.

If it is not deleted by Eq. then your next step would be a medical DV to the CA as described in the HIPAA program guide.

https://whychat.me/ltrcavalhipaa.html

https://whychat.me/GUIDE HIPAA PROGRAM.html

and then the follow up dispute to Eq

https://whychat.me/ltrcavalhipaa.html#DISPUTE

I know this seems like a lot of effort but if you don't get it completely cleared up it ( and other erroneous accounts) may pop up on your wife's reports once you start mortgage shopping.

These CAs thrive on extorting $$ from their victims from invalid account reporting when they are getting ready to close on a home purchase.

Just a quick update. I sent the initial dispute letter to EQ (it's only reporting on EQ) and they received it this morning.

As soon as I hear something or any changes, I'll report back.

So I haven't heard anything back from EQ yet. It's been about 10 business days. On credit karma, in the EQ section it shows an update stating the following: "Remarks: Consumer disputes - reinvestigation in progress"

I tried to check the backdoor on EQ but when filling out the form it wants me to checkbox a section that says "To continue, click to agree to Online Delivery of Results"  so I didn't continue as I wasn't sure if this would hurt the process. Is it safe to check that box?

Yes it is OK to check the box as you will not be actually filing a new dispute, just getting your current credit report. Make sure you opt out again after leaving the site as the "back door" process opts you back in. 

Update:

On Wednesday 11/28/18 I checked the EQ backdoor and the collection account was still listed and reporting as in dispute.

Just now, 5 mins ago, I checked the backdoor again and the account is still listed but this time under comments it just says "Medical". No where does it say anything about it being in dispute or under investigation.

Does this indicate that they "verified" and closed the investigation? 

Should I move on to the next steps?

Ok. Quick question on the DV letter that goes to the CA.

In your template you have: Date: _________ PM#____________

Is PM# the Tracking number of THIS DV letter I'm sending, or the tracking # from the initial letter sent to EQ?

45 minutes ago, zildjian said:

Ok. Quick question on the DV letter that goes to the CA.

In your template you have: Date: _________ PM#____________

Is PM# the Tracking number of THIS DV letter I'm sending, or the tracking # from the initial letter sent to EQ?

The tracking # of the letter you are sending .

When you send the follow up dispute to Eq you will use a new tracking # for THAT letter.

Great Thanks!

1 more question, in the template you have the following:

"This letter is being sent to you in response to your recent fraudulent verification of an unknown medical account on my Equifax report"

Technically I haven't received any form of verification from either the CA or CRA. Should I leave that verbiage as is or change it to something else like "...to your recent reporting of an unknown medical..."

Any advice on my situation?

I checked CK it no longer shows in dispute. I tried the Backdoor on EQ and it looks like it doesn't work anymore. Should I send the DV to the CA as is or change the verbiage since I never received any verification from either the CA or EQ?

Thanks!

If it wasn't deleted and doesn't show as being in dispute then in some way the CA DID "fraudulently verify  an unknown medical account on your Equifax report"

Send the DV to the CA and don't change a word.

Quick Update: DV sent to CA on 12/4/2018

CA received DV on 12/5/2018

Followup sent to EQ on 12/6/2018

No changes to EQ report yet since last update. Account showing as "Medical" and no longer is dispute.

Have not received ANY communication from either CA or EQ.

Quick Update:

Yesterday I received a response from EQ stating that they verified the account. (this was in response to the initial letter). The Followup letter to EQ was also sent yesterday.

Question. On the letter they sent, on the header of it they state

Credit File: November 30, 2018

Confirmation #: <10 digit number>

Is the confirmation number the ID of a fresh report? (no report was included in the envelope)

If they didn't include a new report then the 10 digit # is an internal confirmation # to show they have complied with the rules stating that they must respond.