Sign in to follow this  
debud11111

Collection question

Hi, New here, hope someone can answer my question. I'll be as brief as possible, if you need more info let me know.

This is what has happened. In August 2018 I received a letter from a collection agency for a debt of $126.05 that was not mine. I checked my credit score and it had dropped 30 points. I disputed the debt thru Credit Karma and called the collection agency to verify the debt. Within the next day my score increased 30 points. Sept. 26 2018 I received a letter from the collection agency saying that they were unable to resolve my request because they need additional information. Documentation may include: SS#, Acct.#. Disc. of error, Dollar amount in question. On the same day I received that letter, I received a letter from a different collection agency stating that the account has been placed with their office for collection. My credit score hasn't changed since the 30 down, 30 up. Should I do something or just leave it alone. Thanks in advance for any advice.

If you can prove beyond any shadow of a doubt in court that this is absolutely not your debt, sue them.  Make removal of the tradelines one of the things you ask for. Any good consumer atty should like this case; it's an FDCPA violation and probably a state law violation

What does "not mine" mean? Do you know whose debt it is? Do you have any unpaid debt? 30 points drop for a new CA means you must have other derogs reporting. 

However, you don't actually have your credit score. You have a CK skore which is meaningless.

And never dispute through CK or any other online means. Only dispute in writing. 

The debt is for a utility company that I have not used for about five years and had a $0 balance when I moved. I do have one other debt that went to collection about six years ago for about $60.00. As far as CK goes, I'm not sure what they say my credit score is, that's not what I use them for. My Vantage Score and FICO are both in the 760's. 

All right then your best bet is to validate the debt in writing to the collection company and see what they send you back in terms of some type of bill. Based on the score it seems like the first collection company deleted the account when it was pulled from them and the new collection company hasn't started reporting yet.

It "could be" that this is legit, depending on what you consider to be a zero balance. If you pay your current bill and leave, you do not have a zero balance. Most of these companies are billing you for the previous month's usage. Also, what state is this? 5 years puts you beyond the SOL in a lot of states.

Do not forget that there are some regulatory agencies at the State level that can be of immeasurable assistance when it comes to billing disputes for a utility.  Requests to the Public Utility Commission or whatever agency deals with the utility in question should be made that include a request for an expedited public hearing. 

The reasons for requesting the hearing are that few utility companies really want such a hearing because the Commission is not limited solely to the account in question.  This can put the entire practices of a utility company 'on trial.'

Years ago, I had an issue with a cable company that rhymed in part with rhyme.  I hand-carried my request to the PUC and then drove to the local office for the cable outfit to give then their copy of the letter requesting a hearing and outlining the issues at hand.  Before I even got back to my office, I had a call from the cable company resolving the matter. 

Never under-estimate the power of specificity in the letters and thinking outside of the box...