Utilization Reported is Wrong - any ideas why?

Poor Bastard

The last post in this topic was posted 1496 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I currently have 3 personal cards and made a large charge on Amex this month that puts utilization around 50% for all 3. The other 2 cards never have anything other than very low balances just to keep them active. However, MyFico reports total revolving credit utilization at 80%. Even if we account for the fact that MyFico is a snapshot in time/s for the 3 cards, since I only use amex for the heavy lifting, at no time has total utilization ever exceeded 50%.

When I pull a report it shows current all the credit limits correctly so that is correct in the system. Any idea why MyFico would be showing total utilization at 80% given the facts above?

Thanks

Do you have any charged off accounts reporting a balance?  Those get factored in as well, and they do so with a zero limit. 

However, that being said, third party reports are nothing more than a shiny bauble to begin with and should not be relied on for anything where accuracy matters, even if the bauble comes from Fair Isaac.

Centex, nope, clean credit, no charged off accounts.

cashnocredit, my point in mentioning the credit report is that all 3 bureaus have my credit lines correct, so if they are going off that data, I don't understand why utilization would be so far off? Is this common??

It's not a big deal because I usually PIF anyhow, so score drops will quickly rebound, but since the entire point of getting unneeded credit is to keep utilization low (not that 50% is low, I'm referring to most of the time), it pisses me off it's being based on bad data.

Edited by Poor Bastard

Sorry guys, my bad, thanks for your help! CV's last question prompted me to look closer and I realized that even though the MyFico alert says "total revolving credit utilization is at 80%" that when I expanded the alert, that "total revolving credit" was about one low CL card that is indeed at 80%, as I put a charge on it last month to make sure it kept active. My amex has a CL of 30K and is by far the highest, and based on the wording I wrongly assumed that all 3 cards were included in the calculation, in which case it was way off.

Edited by Poor Bastard

45 minutes ago, Poor blue shirt said:

Sorry guys, my bad, thanks for your help! CV's last question prompted me to look closer and I realized that even though the MyFico alert says "total revolving credit utilization is at 80%" that when I expanded the alert, that "total revolving credit" was about one low CL card that is indeed at 80%, as I put a charge on it last month to make sure it kept active. My amex has a CL of 30K and is by far the highest, and based on the wording I wrongly assumed that all 3 cards were included in the calculation, in which case it was way off.

It's well known that near maxing one card can tank FICO scores but I had a case where I maxed an $800 card (my other cards are all over 10k) while my overall util was around 10% and it made a small difference that was less than 10 points. So maxing a small card doesn't do much damage compared to maxing a card with a normal CL.  

The last post in this topic was posted 1496 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.