Sign in to follow this  
hilo

My broken Car was impounded in Texas

Hi there, 

A few days before I had scheduled a junk car donation to come get my car, my car was impounded. I don't want it and I don't want to pay for it. 

I will first try to trade my title to the wrecker company for the fees.  If I can not, and 

I get a letter from a collection agency, what is the first response letter? A TFC letter?

Thanks

24 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

Do everything you can to avoid this situation reaching that point.

Thanks for that advice however my question still stands: If I get a letter from a collection agency, what is the first response letter? A TFC letter?

Sorry it's been a while and the TFC protocol is not included in the pinned sections that I can find. 

Edited by hilo
add

Maybe ask an Admin to move this to the main credit forum for more views.    However, your plan of attack would depend on who owns the debt at that time, and who the letter was from.

43 minutes ago, Glacier said:

Maybe ask an Admin to move this to the main credit forum for more views.    However, your plan of attack would depend on who owns the debt at that time, and who the letter was from.

Oh Ok thanks! Should this be in the regular, i.e. not advanced credit forums?

I had not been here for a while after the restructuring. 

What was the reason it was impounded?  MOST people donating vehicles have it properly stored at their residence. 

The basis for the impounding will have a LOT to do with reasonable expectations going forward. 

Oh, and if you let it just go to storage sale, you ALSO lose ALL tax benefit that you would otherwise have received through the donation.  As such, you might actually be better off having paid the $125 tow fee and a day or two of storage...AAA would easily pick up and bring it back to the residence.

It's not a $150 tow fee. The fees add up to $700. It has only been 3 days. 

The reason it was towed? I don't know - bad neighbor, it was left wheel to curb? They though it was abandoned. Like I said I had it scheduled for pickup. 

Properly registered, there would have been no way to presume it abandoned if it was outside of your residence. 

Further, in such an instance, they don't just come and snatch without notice...you would have had either the orange or green sticker that is a royal pain to get off of the window that served as a HUGE notice that you were at risk of the vehicle being towed within the defined period of time (depending on whether it was a muni tow or a State tow). 

There is a LOT we are not getting here and without the RELEVANT pieces, guidance cannot be offered.

On 10/6/2018 at 9:54 AM, creditmaze said:

In Calif if you have a current Non-Operational permit via DMV and the vehicle is not on the street you're ok. 

It is possible to be towed from private property even with current tags if the vehicle meets the municipal 'junk' standard.  However, since OP has not given us more details with which to work, it is difficult to get Texas-specific guidance. 

It is frustrating when people want guidance but won't provide the necessary details...I get this on a regular basis with calls to the office (or they want to quibble about WHY I needed some piece of information that, to them, was not relevant. 

My hunch is that the car was green-tagged and was not currently registered to the address...nothing was done and so the vehicle was towed.  At that juncture, you either pay up to retrieve the vehicle or you can speed the process up and just take the title to the lot so that the lot management can sell the car off without going through the extra steps required to conduct the storage sale (which includes certified notices to the address last associated with the registration- I often get two unclaimed letters with the paperwork when I buy from these sales).