RDS

Statue of Limitations on AAFES/Transworld Debt

About 6 months ago I started getting letters from AAFES stating that I owe them about $4000 and that I need to contact a collections agency called Transworld. This is from when I cosigned with someone for a credit account with AAFES, this was in 2008. Is there an SOL for this kind of debt? I've read a lot of contradictory stuff, some say it;s 7 years, so say it's 10, some say there is no SOL, can someone give me a definitive answer?

Obviously you have learned the hard way to NEVER co-sign for anyone...just because they are friends or family does not mean they are fiscally responsible.

The problem you will have here is that AAFES has been determined in the past to be a governmental obligation, meaning that the usual rules of the sandbox may not apply here.  It is, essentially, the same as tax debt or other governmental obligations in that it has no statute of limitations.  Further, they are able to reach out and attach things like tax refunds. 

Seems like you BEST bet is to get in touch with said friend/family member and direct them to pony up.  You COULD , if you were so inclined, go after THEM for damages.  However, that will be a lot of time and energy for potentially no return, since you are in the same position as the agent for AAFES is...chasing a deadbeat. 

8 hours ago, centex said:

Obviously you have learned the hard way to NEVER co-sign for anyone...just because they are friends or family does not mean they are fiscally responsible.

The problem you will have here is that AAFES has been determined in the past to be a governmental obligation, meaning that the usual rules of the sandbox may not apply here.  It is, essentially, the same as tax debt or other governmental obligations in that it has no statute of limitations.  Further, they are able to reach out and attach things like tax refunds. 

Seems like you BEST bet is to get in touch with said friend/family member and direct them to pony up.  You COULD , if you were so inclined, go after THEM for damages.  However, that will be a lot of time and energy for potentially no return, since you are in the same position as the agent for AAFES is...chasing a deadbeat. 

Sad but oh so true. I don't even let "anyone" drive my car...family included.