Sign in to follow this  
mendelssohn

Discover in Germany and Austria

I'm leaving on Monday for a trip to Germany and Austria and will be testing Discover acceptance. I think it's also fair to compare acceptance to Amex acceptance, and I will certainly also note when only 1 payment network, such as Visa only or MC only, is accepted.

The main cards I will be using on this trip are my Amex Platinum and Chase Sapphire Reserve, but I will also used hotel co-branded cards for hotel incidentals as long as they have no FTF.

Updates coming.....

1 hour ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

If you stop in Munich (Munchen) during your travels, stop at Oktoberfest and have a beer for me!

Most of my trip will be in Munich BECAUSE of Oktoberfest! 

Edited by mendelssohn

Still no Discover lounge at DFW. :lol:

The Centurion Lounge is still closed while they complete the new location. I have lounge access from Priority Pass with a couple cards including C$R, bit opted for a restaurant instead. “The Club” was crowded and I’m not moving from the bar where I am now. 

7 hours ago, mendelssohn said:

Still no Discover lounge at DFW. :lol:

The Centurion Lounge is still closed while they complete the new location. I have lounge access from Priority Pass with a couple cards including C$R, bit opted for a restaurant instead. “The Club” was crowded and I’m not moving from the bar where I am now. 

I had very good luck at the Discovery Lounge in Sioux City this morning.  They had a touch tone phone and a large fan.

Enjoy your trip.  We will watch for updates.

I have eaten in 2 restaurants, used an ATM, used a money exchange business (to ensure I had a few Euros), bought a train ticket and also made purchases in several small stores. I have not seen a Discover card logo, or any other partner network, anywhere. To be fair, my C$P did not work in the machine buying my train ticket and I had to use my debit card. I have seen Amex logos everywhere though.

So almost a week in and no Discover card symbols, some partner networks like JCB, but not regular acceptance. Although I would not rely on Amex only, they are far more common than any Discover partner network.

As a side note, anyone into sushi and Japanese whisky needs to check out Sushi + Soul in Munich if you are here. It was a surprise find when taking a break from beer and looking for a whisky bar.

Heading home tomorrow and my observations in the previous post are still the same. I would give it a thumbs down for acceptance. There was more Amex acceptance than the last time I was here, and I didn’t see any single network places this time. The number of cash only places is shrinking, although don’t count on a taxi accepting cards.

Just got back from Deutschland myself. Same lack of acceptance from the northern parts of Germany (Hannover area). Rossmann's accepts them, or so the stickers say, but nothing else. The north is still HEAVY on cash and German debit cards as well, including football stadiums. 

For the train, did you try a random 4 digit PIN with the C$P? Worked for me in the past for DB tickets. Now I just use their app and make sure it always accepts the C$R that way. 

On 10/10/2018 at 3:51 PM, Big Bear said:

For the train, did you try a random 4 digit PIN with the C$P? Worked for me in the past for DB tickets. Now I just use their app and make sure it always accepts the C$R that way. 

I didn't try it. For longer excursions on DB, I booked in their office though because we wanted reserved 1st class seats.