Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Suspicious or random pattern--debt collectors INQ reviews

The last post in this topic was posted 772 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Hello,

I come across an interesting pattern or "coincidental timing" of account review inquiry by what seems to be potential debt collectors when I have done certain actions.  

I was reviewing my TU via backdoor and was going down the listings in the Account Review Inquires section when a date stuck out in my mind in March/2018.  This was the date I officially bit the dust and started my real fight on repairing/rebuilding my credit that I have posted on my visual board on my wall.  Specifically, I purchased the 3B report from myfico so I could have my official Fico-8 scores to start my journey.

What I noticed this morning in the Account Review Inquiries were 3 debt collecting companies (from what I have googled on internet) that are NOT any of my baddies on my credit report.  Sister companies to those that are on my credit report, I don't know???

So, there are 3 of these debt collectors (if my google search is correct) that have popped up on my TU report in this section.  I then went back into my records as I save by date when I purchase a report/score etc.  Yes, I have cut down on doing this, but the coincidence or timing is making me go hmmmmmm.

Mar/2018----I purchased 3B report from myfico----------------------FBCS, Inc

Jul/2018-----I purchased 3B report from EX---------------------------Radius Global Solutions 

Aug/2018----I pull 3B report from myfico-----------------------------NRA Group, LLC DBA Natio???

(first one I paid full price--others found good discounts)

Common thing is "3B" and debt collector (not any of my baddies) review on each date purchased.

I guess I am curious as to how these debt collecting companies are associated with the companies I pulled the report from and what the purpose is, selling my pulls as alerts to said debt collectors, something, I don't know etc...just curious of the pattern...company selling our info/pull to debt collectors to be on alert???

I think of Whychat saying to OPT out as it will help keep the creepy crawlers out.  I OPTED back in to get prequal's from CAP1/Discover secured cards.

Would credit freeze stop this or some sham going on, or me reading too much into this???

Thoughts please???

Neither a credit freeze (which automatically opts you out), nor a standalone opt-out request, prevents subscribers to certain trigger alerts from receiving those alerts for your file.  

Yours is the first example I recall where a soft pull triggers a notification, but it doesn't surprise me at all.

The statement is made loudly and often that opting out is an important step in credit repair, but I have never seen any specific evidence that is does anything useful in that regard. 

Opting out simply prevents you from receiving pre-screened offers of credit.

12 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

Yours is the first example I recall where a soft pull triggers a notification, but it doesn't surprise me at all.

CV91915, using your key words triggers, notifications, I came up with this link from Experian rather quickly:

http://www.experian.com/assets/consumer-information/case-studies/first-financial-collection-triggers.pdf

Wow...was not aware of the trigger and notifications that go out to the debt collectors based on us spending money to get the report.  Probably all in the super fine print somewhere.

15 minutes ago, fixinmycrediks said:

CV91915, using your key words triggers, notifications, I came up with this link from Experian rather quickly:

http://www.experian.com/assets/consumer-information/case-studies/first-financial-collection-triggers.pdf

Wow...was not aware of the trigger and notifications that go out to the debt collectors based on us spending money to get the report.  Probably all in the super fine print somewhere.

Like I said, yours is the first I've seen where a consumer-initiated soft does the trigger, but it isn't surprising.  It actually makes a lot of sense.  "This person might be trying to clean things up.  Let's act while s/he probably has some money."

The triggers are the main reason we encourage people who have skeletons in their closets to do a mortgage application at least a few months before they actually need/want to get a mortgage.

A mortgage inquiry trigger tells a subscribing collector that if they update or begin reporting a negative TL you'll probably have to pay them before you can close.  It's obviously MUCH better to run into this when it isn't a major obstacle to completing something that's important to you.

The last post in this topic was posted 772 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.