Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Installment loan question

The last post in this topic was posted 771 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Hello,

1.  I do not have an installment loan (just credit cards and 1 retail card).  Well, I do have written off Santander vehicle loan and 2 others that show up on my credit reports as "installment loans" (Midland--Credit One cc, and NCB which bought from Santander).   <---collections correctly listed on my reports?  I am thinking about getting a secured saving loan like the old Alliant hack to increase my score a bit, pay it down to low utilization marks, under 30% and then under the 10% to maximize/help score.  The question here is will this secured saving loan still give me a score boost with the Santander on my reports?

Working on my baddies, even had a GW letter work recently.  

Current scores are 306-328.  All my open accounts are new as of this year from under 1 month to 7 months of on time payments.  35% utilization right now.  In 1 month will be under 10% utilization. I have used the simulators to give me idea of score increases, just curious about the installment loan.

Thanks!!!

only open installment loans count.

don't waste your time/money on a hack when you have bigger fish to fry.

simulators are incorrect and useless.

I think there's a typo in your scores.

Hey Shifter,

Yes typo as scores are between 606-628(fico-8)....thanks for the catch.

I should have clarified that simulators was reducing my total utilization down below the 30% to under 10% which seems to coincide with what is said on here and most write-ups targeting optimizing the credit score. 

I definitely get what you are saying about the bigger fish to fry as I am working on ways to crack the remaining few baddies.   The Midland I can ride it out till May or early deletes.  The remaining 3 are the tougher nuts/working on the angle of attacks on them.

As for the rebuild of my credit, I have the pieces set up to garden now and age, increase credit limits, don't miss payments, wash rinse repeat-bloom.

So if the open installment loan will help my rebuild side, this gives me another option on improving my score.

As usual, I appreciate your words of wisdom!!! 

taking out an installment loan to pay down revolving credit will help tremendously. i speak from experience.

as long as you don't use that as an opportunity to build more revolving credit debt while paying off said loan.

Thanks Bradk14!

I did that with a PAL (Payday Alternative Loan) from Suncoast Credit Union, so I know what you are talking about.  I used that $1k and  opened a secured SKY credit card.  Paying that PAL down to under 30% this next month.  This PAL reports as a Line Of Credit.  Both of these have been reporting positive the past 6-7/months.

The Saving Secured Loan, I will immediately get it to the 30% mark and then payments for the build/help.   Thanks.

The last post in this topic was posted 771 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.