Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Capital One - 6 month rule question and which FICO model used for QS1 approval?

So I was approved and opened a CapOne Secured back in Feb, $849 deposit for 1k limit (max allowed).  The first statement cut 3/15.  I have two questions:

I would like to get the QS1 card and I've been waiting the 6 months to apply as people have mentioned.  Do we know if its 6 months from the date opened, or is it after the 6th statement has been cut?

Next question: Does anyone have an idea of which FICO scoring model they use when applying?

Reason being is my FICO scores vary a lot between the different FICO models (as we all are aware) 

For example here are a few of mine:

FICO 08's: EQ 623; TU 602; EX 586

FICO 5/4/2:  EQ 575; TU 514; EX 546
FICO Bankcard 8 : EQ 620, EQ 580; EX 567

FICO Bankcard 5/4/2: EQ 574, TU 488; EX 489

My derogs are a few old CO, all past SOL except one (Discover) making my UTI looking crazy high; and 1 PRA collection (past SOL).

The good is I have 3 secured cards all showing zero bal and perfect history (opensky open 1.5yrs; CapOne 6mo, Citi 6mo); Auto Loan open 1 yr; PenFed secured loan hack open 1.5 yrs.

As always I'm super appreciative of any input.  Grateful for everyone's contributions to CB.  Thanks.

This isn't directly responsive to your questions, but I wouldn't be in a big hurry to open another card unless you can take a step up in quality.  

I would also recommend some more diversification.  If you get another Capital One card, half of your open cards will be from one issuer.

QS1 is sort of their subprime rewards card that people get after some positive history with the capone secured.  Often times its approved with only a $500 limit for us subprime folks, but i'm ok with that for now.

It's 6 months from the date of opening. QS1 is a good rebuilder card. It's unsecured. Used responsibly, you can request a cli after 90 days. At 6 months, they'll give another cli. Mine started at only $300, but I was shocked I was even approved.

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Guest Mastas

Think $5k+ venture/savor/QS is their prime offerings

If you apply for another c1 card now, you'll still be bucketed subprime.  IMO you'd be better off cleaning up your tu report and going for sync or barclays until you get the rest cleared up and into the high 600s. 

I do get your point Mastas, however here's my thinking which is more to the tune of tralston3838

My reports probably will not be cleaned up to reach the high 600's likely for 1.5+ years due the nature of my baddies-PRA and 4yr old OC charge-offs all tough ones to remove early.  I really think it would be nice to have at least one semi-decent unsecured card at this point if possible.  And given that if I get the QS1 now it will  always have my subprime status to it, and not grow as much or as fast, than I should at least get it opened and start that slow small process for that card.

Basically, you want positive tradeline, atleast 3 cards. You want to eventually have atleast 5 cards for best scores. As long as you stayaway from cards like credit one and first premier, you should be good. While QS1 isn't the best out there, it's still not a bad one to go with. Let it grow, and PC it to something else later.

4 hours ago, WestCoastKid said:

I do get your point Mastas, however here's my thinking which is more to the tune of tralston3838

My reports probably will not be cleaned up to reach the high 600's likely for 1.5+ years due the nature of my baddies-PRA and 4yr old OC charge-offs all tough ones to remove early.  I really think it would be nice to have at least one semi-decent unsecured card at this point if possible.  And given that if I get the QS1 now it will  always have my subprime status to it, and not grow as much or as fast, than I should at least get it opened and start that slow small process for that card.

WestCoastKid,

I know the wisdom spoken above comes from the experienced ones; but I like you feel that want, though it feels like a need to get that unsecured card.

We are in similar boat with baddies and scores (mine range from 606-628).  I got my QS1 after 4 months with my Cap1Plat.  Psychologically the unsecured card feels great even at the smaller limit.  It was a hurdle.  I know and believe what the elders are saying as they helped me way back in 2011ish.

I figured I would do the CapOne Product Change when I can upgrade the card to get out of the subprime bucket to the next card up.  This is how others from my readings/have moved out of the subprime a bit easier with CapOne.  One question I see is--would another cc help you (getting it right now) regardless secured/unsecured for the next 1.5 years you planned out and improve your scores vs not getting another card and letting your current cards grow from gardening and then get a cc after the 1.5 years???

Since you are in with PenFed, have you talked to them to get a credit card from them since that would be a prime to grow on and keep the diversity as mentioned vs the CapOne QS1?

Guest Mastas

I def understand.  I would call c1 then and see if you have any offers on the secured card.  If they like how you use it, they will pc it.  Also check the prequal page.

Also, I'm recommending tu since in general it's the easiest report to clean up.

I def understand.  I would call c1 then and see if you have any offers on the secured card.  If they like how you use it, they will pc it.  Also check the prequal page.

Also, I'm recommending tu since in general it's the easiest report to clean up.
Cap1 will not unsecure until it's been open for a minimum of a year.

Quick update:

Sure enough, at midnight when my 6th statement cut I got my first CLI of $300 on my CapOne Secured, which I'm pretty happy about.  So total line of $1300!  Since reading advice on this board, I've been using it quite heavily since I got the card, usually making two payments of $800 ish per month.  Some months I let it report with a balance, other months I would pay it to zero before it cuts.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Humbled82
      Hello Credit Board

I am newbie to this forum, but have been lurking for a while. I had recently pulled my credit report and I am having major issues with my student loans. Apparently I have loans that have been transferred \ sold and now are with a new company. The original loan was open back in the 2000's but they are still showing on my credit report. I am not sure how I can have these removed. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you in advance
    • By idonthaveaname
      I just wanted to share my strategy. I've written them many many good will letters and always get the generic response. I decided to message them on Facebook and I got an actual human in the states who responded the same. I then replied with a true sob story and the guy said he could remove 1 late payment from each card. This will change my life so much and hopefully raise my score. I just wanted to to share with you guys who might have issues with comenity
    • By lola2020
      I am working on cleaning up a few items on my credit reports and not sure which way to start.  There are two Paid Collection medical bills showing on my reports, which is hurting my ability to rebuild my credit after divorce.  They both are being reported by the same medical collection agency that is a local company where I live.  They are both old, but still have a couple years to fall off my reports.  One for $73 has a delinquency date of 3/2015, assigned to collections 1/2016, paid in full 7/2016.  Last reported to credit bureaus on 6/2017,    The other one for $164 has a delinquency date of 5/27/15, assigned to collections 10/2016, paid in full 12/2016 and was last reported on May 18, 2020.  Should I call them and request a goodwill adjustment to have them remove the reporting, write a goodwill letter, or move to the HIPAA letter?  

I also have one account in collection status that I disagree with.  I had disputed it via the credit bureaus, but only got a notation in the credit reports that the debt was conforming, which I am sure means they contacted the collector and they said I owed the debt.  This is a credit card debt that appears to be sold to a collection agency.  The debt amount is $370, delinquency date 12/2018, turned to collection 6/2019.  I am not even sure what this is, but may just be continual late fee charges on account I though was closed.  Where should I start with this one?  Pay for delete or validation letter?

I made the mistake of ignoring my credit report after divorce in 2016 and have a thin file, but these three things are seriously hurting my ability to get a credit card acceptance.  I don't want to keep having hard credit pulls for applications when I know these items are a big reason why I am being turned down.

Thanks for letting me tell my story.
      Lola2020
    • By L99
      Hi. Thanks everyone for push out of hopelessness. My scores have increased about 30 points each, and this without reflecting that I paid off a $2500 installment loan a week ago. Total paid off is about $7000 in 6 weeks.

·       My goal is to buy a home with an FHA loan around October 2021.
      ·       I have $2000 per month to put toward resolving these negatives.
      ·       I don't know if I can call BBVA and Net Credit and work out payment arrangements, or if I need to have all the money now. Scared to call—I keep hearing “don’t talk to them.”

My question is what order to put these in based on how quickly it will impact my credit score.
      My options seem to be:
      1)    Resume student loan payments ASAP, over the next year just save the money monthly and pay BBVA first and then Net Credit, then down payment.
      2)    Pay BBVA first, resume paying student loans in September and then pay Net Credit over the next 12 months.

Remaining negatives on credit report:
      Defaulted Student Loan
      ·       Wait 1-3 months and use that $850/month to work on the other two items?
      BBVA 
      ·       $5600 charge-off as of Sept 2019
      ·       Planning to just pay it, assuming I'll have to pay in full but not sure
      Net Credit Financial Services
      ·       $6900 charge-off from Sept 2019
      ·       Planning to just pay it, assuming I'll have to pay in full but not sure

When do I apply for the mortgage, by the way? How far ahead of when I want to close?

THANK YOU!!!!

• By chickenfritata
      Hi everyone, just looking for some advice...

I'm in the last year of my 20s and have a very high debt in general. I blame my past self since after getting my first job, I was blinded by approvals of several credit cards and used them like cash. I would like to start my journey to a better credit score, especially since my 30s will probably consist of buying a home and having children with my fiance.

Not really sure where to start... I'd like to start bringing down my debt but I feel so overwhelmed with everything that I have to pay for. I currently keep track of my money using a spreadsheet, but that doesn't mean anything if I don't actually try to pay off the debt I have... I recently paid off my Chase CC balance (that's why it's 0 right now) and an installment loan around $2,500.

Would it be better to pay the closed accounts first (at least the ones accruing interest), or pay off the balance in my open accounts? Any advice would be helpful, thank you!

With that being said, here are my stats:

Credit scores
      Experian - 565 | Equifax - 582 | Transunion - 587

Current monthly bills - ~$1240, including payments below
      Monthly salary - min $2,500
      *New job that just started this month; previously, I was earning around $1,200 a month
      Current savings - $3,000

OPEN CC ACCOUNTS
      Chase - 0 (balance) / 500 (limit) @ (23.15%) min payment: $25
      Capital One Quicksilver - 1,519/1,500  @(22.90%) min payment: $44
      Capital One Platinum - 2,230/2,250 @ (22.90%) min payment: $70

CLOSED CC ACCOUNTS
      Bank of America - $2,110 @ (21.24%) min payment: $70
      Barclays - $920 @ (21.24%) min payment: $30
      CareCredit - $1,200 (under hardship assistance, interest no longer accruing) min payment: $22
      Nordstrom  - $1,915 (under hardship assistance, interest no longer accruing) min payment: $22
      PayPal - $1,083 (under hardship assistance, interest no longer accruing) min payment: $25

Student Loans
      Sallie Mae - $25,000 (deferred payment, only paying $25 a month)
      Fed Loans - $16,000 (forbearance due to COVID19)

• Today's Birthdays

1. mpdaddy
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Dreymania
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines