Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Capital One - 6 month rule question and which FICO model used for QS1 approval?

The last post in this topic was posted 796 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

So I was approved and opened a CapOne Secured back in Feb, $849 deposit for 1k limit (max allowed).  The first statement cut 3/15.  I have two questions:

I would like to get the QS1 card and I've been waiting the 6 months to apply as people have mentioned.  Do we know if its 6 months from the date opened, or is it after the 6th statement has been cut?

Next question: Does anyone have an idea of which FICO scoring model they use when applying?

Reason being is my FICO scores vary a lot between the different FICO models (as we all are aware) 

For example here are a few of mine:

FICO 08's: EQ 623; TU 602; EX 586

FICO 5/4/2:  EQ 575; TU 514; EX 546
FICO Bankcard 8 : EQ 620, EQ 580; EX 567

FICO Bankcard 5/4/2: EQ 574, TU 488; EX 489

My derogs are a few old CO, all past SOL except one (Discover) making my UTI looking crazy high; and 1 PRA collection (past SOL).

The good is I have 3 secured cards all showing zero bal and perfect history (opensky open 1.5yrs; CapOne 6mo, Citi 6mo); Auto Loan open 1 yr; PenFed secured loan hack open 1.5 yrs.

As always I'm super appreciative of any input.  Grateful for everyone's contributions to CB.  Thanks.

This isn't directly responsive to your questions, but I wouldn't be in a big hurry to open another card unless you can take a step up in quality.  

I would also recommend some more diversification.  If you get another Capital One card, half of your open cards will be from one issuer.

QS1 is sort of their subprime rewards card that people get after some positive history with the capone secured.  Often times its approved with only a $500 limit for us subprime folks, but i'm ok with that for now.

It's 6 months from the date of opening. QS1 is a good rebuilder card. It's unsecured. Used responsibly, you can request a cli after 90 days. At 6 months, they'll give another cli. Mine started at only $300, but I was shocked I was even approved.

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Guest Mastas

Think $5k+ venture/savor/QS is their prime offerings

If you apply for another c1 card now, you'll still be bucketed subprime.  IMO you'd be better off cleaning up your tu report and going for sync or barclays until you get the rest cleared up and into the high 600s. 

I do get your point Mastas, however here's my thinking which is more to the tune of tralston3838

My reports probably will not be cleaned up to reach the high 600's likely for 1.5+ years due the nature of my baddies-PRA and 4yr old OC charge-offs all tough ones to remove early.  I really think it would be nice to have at least one semi-decent unsecured card at this point if possible.  And given that if I get the QS1 now it will  always have my subprime status to it, and not grow as much or as fast, than I should at least get it opened and start that slow small process for that card.

Basically, you want positive tradeline, atleast 3 cards. You want to eventually have atleast 5 cards for best scores. As long as you stayaway from cards like credit one and first premier, you should be good. While QS1 isn't the best out there, it's still not a bad one to go with. Let it grow, and PC it to something else later.

4 hours ago, WestCoastKid said:

I do get your point Mastas, however here's my thinking which is more to the tune of tralston3838

My reports probably will not be cleaned up to reach the high 600's likely for 1.5+ years due the nature of my baddies-PRA and 4yr old OC charge-offs all tough ones to remove early.  I really think it would be nice to have at least one semi-decent unsecured card at this point if possible.  And given that if I get the QS1 now it will  always have my subprime status to it, and not grow as much or as fast, than I should at least get it opened and start that slow small process for that card.

WestCoastKid,

I know the wisdom spoken above comes from the experienced ones; but I like you feel that want, though it feels like a need to get that unsecured card.

We are in similar boat with baddies and scores (mine range from 606-628).  I got my QS1 after 4 months with my Cap1Plat.  Psychologically the unsecured card feels great even at the smaller limit.  It was a hurdle.  I know and believe what the elders are saying as they helped me way back in 2011ish.

I figured I would do the CapOne Product Change when I can upgrade the card to get out of the subprime bucket to the next card up.  This is how others from my readings/have moved out of the subprime a bit easier with CapOne.  One question I see is--would another cc help you (getting it right now) regardless secured/unsecured for the next 1.5 years you planned out and improve your scores vs not getting another card and letting your current cards grow from gardening and then get a cc after the 1.5 years???

Since you are in with PenFed, have you talked to them to get a credit card from them since that would be a prime to grow on and keep the diversity as mentioned vs the CapOne QS1?

Guest Mastas

I def understand.  I would call c1 then and see if you have any offers on the secured card.  If they like how you use it, they will pc it.  Also check the prequal page.

Also, I'm recommending tu since in general it's the easiest report to clean up.

I def understand.  I would call c1 then and see if you have any offers on the secured card.  If they like how you use it, they will pc it.  Also check the prequal page.

Also, I'm recommending tu since in general it's the easiest report to clean up.
Cap1 will not unsecure until it's been open for a minimum of a year.

Quick update:

Sure enough, at midnight when my 6th statement cut I got my first CLI of $300 on my CapOne Secured, which I'm pretty happy about.  So total line of $1300!  Since reading advice on this board, I've been using it quite heavily since I got the card, usually making two payments of $800 ish per month.  Some months I let it report with a balance, other months I would pay it to zero before it cuts.

The last post in this topic was posted 796 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By ON-MY_way
      I had a NFCU cc of $25,xxx (25k) charged off in Dec. 2018.   During my small business startup and struggles I tried my best to stay afloat.  I managed to keep my  NFCU auto loan ($31k, balance $5,000, never miss/late payment) and NFCU cc ( $3000 never miss/late payment) current.  

My Equifax lists:
      12/2018 Charged off account
      Date of Last Payment Aug 01, 2020 (I made NO PAYMENTS or arrangements since CO.  I keep little money (under $100 in my checking savings.  Low and behold In August 2020 I see a 'DR Adjustment' of $1000 from my checking.  After investigating I learned that a commercial account deposit I had in 2016 was credited back to me and the acct they had on file was NFCU and they snatched the grand and sent me a letter 'thanking me' for my payment of $1000.  
      My state is NC, does this now effect my SOL?   Is this legal for NFCU to take money from your checking account and update the CRA as you've made a payment when I did not initiate it?

After this eye-opening moment, I did some research and it's my guess that NFCU loan terms have 'cross-collateralization' verbiage.  
      When my NFCU auto loan is paid in full, will they send me the title or 'hold' it until the CO is paid off or settled for agreed amount?  If I settle at a percentage of CO before auto loan is paid, will I get the title once auto loan is zero balance?

I reached out to NFCU collections and got an offer to settle the co acct for $4000, so including the $1000 they already debited, that 20% of the charged off amount to stop the collection process.  I'm assuming even with all the lawsuits NFCU has been a part of since 2016 to present, PFD is not an option on the table as a counter offer.  I have the means to pay $4,000 to them within 10 days, besides my CRA showing 'paid, settled for less', how will this effect my credit and score?

I know the general opinion on CB is that NFCU is GREAT and one should try to stay in their good graces, but it seems things there have changed for the downhill since 2017 and with a recent whistleblower lawsuit concerning their mortgage underwriting practices... their home loans advantage could also suffer in the near future.  Personally at this stage, I'm not '$25k-in-love' with NFCU, but if you can offer reasons to sway my judgment, it will be enlightening.   
      All in all, I'm seeking advice to get my title once the vehicle is paid off and maintaining the 'most amicable' relationship with NFCU going forward holding a single credit card, checking, and saving accts.  

• By Toast73
      So I disputed (or so I thought I disputed) addresses off the Big 4. TU removed all addresses except for my current. EQ has my current and another non-BK address. EX won't budge.

All bureaus froze. Microbilt, LexisNexis, SageStream, Chex, you name it. 

Try to get full verification of the bankruptcy on my file, thinking the whole Trial Rule 1005 thing would help me (this rule makes only the last 4 of your social, full name and addy public-facing).

No dice.

This was the response L/N fed me, including a few notes in RED.

Please critique, tell me I have no chance for removal, something....

• By invisible
      Basically, below are the baddies on my reports. I know I can't do much for the lates, but I'm hoping I can work on the other ones. I’ve been lurking and researching, but not sure what to start with. Any help is appreciated.

Equifax

Lates:   Auto loan – 10x in past 2 yrs.
                  8 Navient Accounts – 7x in past 2yrs. (although was in forbearance)
                  2 Utah Higher Edu Accounts – 6x in past 2 yrs. (must verify if was in forbearance or deferment)
                  1 ACS Group Account – Sold in 2016, shows as closed and current status of 120 days past due.

Charge Offs:    Cap One #1 = $1850 from Apr 2020, but shows as open and 120+ past due
                              UM Old Balance from 2012 – $8k

Experian

Lates:   Auto loan – 14x in past 2 yrs. Status says: Now paying/was a charge-off
                  2 Utah Higher Edu Accounts – 6x in past 2 yrs. (must verify if was in forbearance or deferment)
                  1 ACS Group Account – Sold in 2016, shows as closed and current status of 120 days past due.

Charge Offs:    Cap One #1 = $1850 from Apr 2020
                              Cap One #2 = $613 from Oct 2019

Trans Union

Lates:   Auto loan – 14x in past 2 yrs. (says C/O for Oct 2018)

Charge Offs:    Cap One #1 = $1850 from Apr 2020
                              Cap One #2 = $636 from Oct 2019

Collections:     IC Systems (Charter Communications) = $167

Auto loan: It was almost a repo. I paid past due the same day they set it out to be towed. I was 3 months behind. Why are they saying it was a charge off? What can I do?
      Student loans: I was in forbearance, but Navient says they no longer change credit reports. They sent me letter confirming forbearance for those months.
      Charge Offs: Since they are within past year, should I try to settle, pay in full, or wait a while?
    • By imar9418
      I have an AMEX charge off from 2017 its paid but I want it off my reports I've called them but the guy on the phone just kept saying nope can't take it off even if paid.
      I've even tried disputing them because they were reporting the wrong info but they just update with the right info. 

I was able to get approved for a different AMEx card two months ago so I know I'm not blacklisted 

I was wondering has anyone had any luck with something like this. 
    • By Toast73
      I am pretty proactive on MyFico, so I thought I'd come here and get a different perspective on credit repair.

I have read through Why Chat's Credit Confusion, and it's pretty robust.

But one question I have that I cannot see addressed (other than a vague NYT article) is why "opting-out" is the first step toward credit repair?

I understand the dispute process, but can you actually force the creditors to stop reporting information to credit bureaus this way?

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    perthmesshall
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines