Sign in to follow this  
CreditCuestions

How to get rid of this small medical bill?

Would like a little help with this.  I was sent this in response to the dispute.  A dunning letter was never sent.  And this collection company has dug in their heels.  They sent this with full dob and ssn displayed Is that a violation?  I am hoping to find an error in there.  It can be paid but not sure if I can just send a check to the OC or not and if it would help.

Thanks

uxenP7r.png

7tFiK7d.png

Cnbzkej.png

This appears to be the 20% medicare co-pay which you were obligated to pay.

Look at your medicare EOB ( explanation of benefits) for that visit.

Check your records and see if you already paid this at the time of medical service.

If not, pay the OC with this letter ( edited for your purpose-not to be used by other posters) Follow these directions;

Please make sure that your payment is in the form of a bank cashiers check or bank money order,(do not use a postal money order). THIS IS CONSIDERED THE SAME AS A CASH PAYMENT, that you make a photo copy of the front and back of the remittance, that your name and address are CLEARLY printed on the remittance, that it is made to the order of THE ORIGINAL HEALTH CARE PROVIDER, and that you print or type clearly in the endorsement section "For Deposit Only to the Account of (name of H.C. provider)(This of course allows your IRS deduction as a medical expense). MAKE SURE that you put the account # if available ( not the CA account # but from your original billing), in the "for" section on the front of the money order. If you do NOT have the original account # OR if you have several accounts with the SAME OC under ONE account #, put the name of the patient, date of service and patient's SS # in the "for" area.

(Your Name)
(address)
(City,State, zip)
s.s.# (social security #)
HIPAA Compliance Office
( health care provider creditor)
(address)
(date)
Dear Sir/Madam;
This letter is in reference to (account #) for services provided to (name of patient) on (date of service).
In regard to the bill on this account in the amount of ($___):

Enclosed please find my remittance of ($___) for payment in full of this account.as per my EOB from Medicare

Please note, my remittance is payable ONLY to (hc provider) and may not be signed over or transferred to any third party collection agency, as this would constitute a  violation of HIPAA, State Privacy Act rules and the Omnibus Final Rules. .
Copies of this correspondence and a copy of the remittance check may be used for any further actions with State or Federal agencies

Your furnishing of my account information to (collection agency name), is not in compliance with HIPAA, and any subsequent reporting of this account on my credit reports to (credit reporting bureaus) would be a  violation of Public Law 104-191 ("HIPAA") since there can be no permissible business purpose in divulging protected health information to anyone on an account once there is no longer any payment due.In addition the new Omnibus Final Rule states:when patients pay out of pocket in full, they can instruct their provider to refrain from sharing information.This letter serves as that instruction

Therefore I am requesting you promptly rescind all such account information furnished to (collection agency) and require them to purge their records of all reference to this account, and that you insure that any and all reporting of this account is immediately deleted from my credit reports.

Sincerely,
signature
(Your Name)

Meanwhile follow the instructions here;

https://whychat.me/GUIDE HIPAA PROGRAM.html

This will allow you to properly dispute the account off your reports and opting out will prevent any JDBs ( junk debt buyers) from poisoning your reports.