Sign in to follow this  
oldblueeyes

3 baddies/0 positive open tradelines

Hello!

I am helping my fiancé with his credit. We have pulled all 3 reports and he has no “open” accounts. He does have history between 8-11 years on all 3 reports. All “closed” accounts are listed as “paid”.

I am wondering the best plan for his 3 collection accounts:

TRANSUNION

Local Sheriff Dept 

Amount: $80

Date opened: March 17

Account type: Collection Account

Account status: Open

Comments: Placed for collection

ATT/DirectTV 

Amount: $887

Date opened: July 17

Verizon 

Amount: $579

Date opened: Dec 15

EQUIFAX 

Jackson Capital Sy

Amount: $579

Account type: Open account

Account status: Closed

Comments: Collection Account 

EXPERIAN

IC System

Amount: $887

Original creditor: ATT

Account type: Collection Dept

Account status: closed

I’ve already had him opt out. No addresses are incorrect. The idea I have is: Send CA’s Validation letters, wait for green card, send CRA’s jack attack. Thoughts on that? I’m also wondering why transunion is reporting original creditor vs. the collection agency. I appreciate any and all thoughts!!

I’m also wondering if he should apply for a secured card right now to get something positive going for him? Credit karma scores are low 500’s but Experian says they can not determine a FICO8 score for lack of credit.

Welcome.

There is no one-size-fits-all approach to dealing with negatives.  First I would recommend determining the DOFD for each, and then determining if any of these are still within SOL for your state (and post that additional info with each trade line you referenced in your first post).

The only exception to that might be "Local Sheriffs Department."  If that matter isn't a consumer credit type of account it should be reporting anyway.  Do you know what that is?

Ignore the CK skores.  Virtually no credit grantors use those to evaluate creditworthiness.

Thanks again CV. He has no idea the DOFD for these. They are all small enough that they “can” be paid but we obviously don’t want to make things worse by just contacting them and doing that. 

Is there any harm in sending validation letters? If they suddenly come after him (they haven’t yet) can’t he just pay at that point to avoid being sued?

PS. Not a newbie at all! I joined about 10 years ago and have learned so much being a lurker :) It’s hard starting over learning after it’s been so long since I first learned all this! My confidence about all of it is back at newbie!

The DOFD isn't a secret -- or even hard to find.  

If you don't already have paper reports mailed to you from all of the bureaus, that's the next step.  

DOFD is the most recent month the account became delinquent (30 days late) but was never brought current.  If you look at the payment history for each TL it should be easy to figure this out.

I don't recommend just trying something and hoping for the best.  A better approach is to understand your best option(s) with each TL (and the legal basis for what you're doing) and hatch a tailored plan for each.