Sign in to follow this  
Wildchilde36

Card advice

DH has a discover@ 14K and cap1@ 4K.  Friday night I apped him for Amex - approved 10K and Chase freedom - approved for 9600.  Cap one offers nothing so it's about to be put away.  Should I app him for another so technically he will have 5?  or should we wait a year or so first?  His scores are EQ 730, TU 681 and EX 696.  Chase pulled TU and EX Amex pulled EX.   What about alliant offering the higher cash back?  I am not sure what their score tiers are.  

I apped with nfcu at first of month, pulled TU am going to call tomorrow if no increase on 1K limit i may tell them to close it.  Bad Idea????    What about apping with Alliant or pen fed?   I currently have a discover @ 16k w/ almost 7K balance an amex @ 11K 0 balance cap one at 2450 0 balance and bestbuy/visa @ 2K at 0 balance.    

Should I get one more? 

Suggestions? 

Don't close NFCU because they won't raise the limit. It will grow over time and will likely be a solid pry bar one day. 

1 hour ago, cv91915 said:

What is your goal?  

My goal would be to have more available credit, although I don't really need or want credit cards to maximize score it's one of those things ya got to have.  Learning that on here. If I am going to have one though I want to maximize the potential and get the most I can out of it.  It's sad when a credit card or bank account can earn you more than a savings account.  We don't ever get to travel/fly much seems too busy and mother lives with us so i'm not sure about a points card?  I guess one could save the points indefinitely and use them later.    I am still waiting on my amex to report a $0 balance.  it's been 4 days so i may call them and see what's up.  I missed putting in my scores earlier.  They are EQ 705  TU 702 and EX 698.  They should raise a bit once amex reports since the last balance was 2376?  or close to that. 

18 minutes ago, Wildchilde36 said:

My goal would be to have more available credit, although I don't really need or want credit cards to maximize score it's one of those things ya got to have.  Learning that on here. If I am going to have one though I want to maximize the potential and get the most I can out of it.  It's sad when a credit card or bank account can earn you more than a savings account.  We don't ever get to travel/fly much seems too busy and mother lives with us so i'm not sure about a points card?  I guess one could save the points indefinitely and use them later.    I am still waiting on my amex to report a $0 balance.  it's been 4 days so i may call them and see what's up.  I missed putting in my scores earlier.  They are EQ 705  TU 702 and EX 698.  They should raise a bit once amex reports since the last balance was 2376?  or close to that. 

Take a good look at the 2-4 categories of spending that dominate most of your purchasing.  Then make a short list of the best cash-back cards for those categories.  Then start applying in a logical order.

Having credit for its own sake is fun in the moment, but like a binge on cheap gin the skull-hammering hangover comes later.

Several of my highest-limit cards never get used.  For example, I have an $81,000 Amex Hilton card that only gets two $0.50 Amazon purchases a year to keep it active. 

So target the most useful cards as you build available credit, or you'll just have a list of regrets later.

I am really really wanting to apply for the alliant card with the 2% cash back but unknown about how strict they are.   we switched 4 of our loans to a credit union from a bank back in october and obviously navy federal did not like that at all when i applied there. Utterly ridiculous as we dropped our % by 2 or more on each loan we had and got a flat 2% on a toy.

about to make a large purchase so i could meet the SUB on a few cards in september easy.  

1 hour ago, Wildchilde36 said:

I am really really wanting to apply for the alliant card with the 2% cash back but unknown about how strict they are.   we switched 4 of our loans to a credit union from a bank back in october and obviously navy federal did not like that at all when i applied there. Utterly ridiculous as we dropped our % by 2 or more on each loan we had and got a flat 2% on a toy.

about to make a large purchase so i could meet the SUB on a few cards in september easy.  

There are far better cash-back options out there, but as CV points out, you need to look at what fits YOUR spending.  The only thing that was remotely appealing about Alliant for me when I got the card a few months back was the 20K point bonus for meeting the spend threshold...something nominal like $3K in 90 days.  Since the 20K points is a $200 credit, it made sense, but the limit left me unsatisfied.  Having cleared the bonus, the card will basically be an emergency card in case all of the other options don't function for some reason...

There are several 2% cards out there.  

It's not a bad fallback plan for non-category spending.  This is the bare minimum to expect for general purchases if your credit is mediocre/average or better.

I probably should have apped for the amex business card.  I would have more than likely not met the SUB BUT... it does give 5% back every month on cellphone bills.   I was pulled in to the cash magnet today instead got a 10K approval, unsure of hard or soft pull or where.  I doubt they would let me do the business card now but the phone bill would be the main bonus to it.  heck even if it had a low limit 5% back on that is good. 

One more  ?.  I now have the 1.5% (cash magnet) DH has the Chase freedom and we both have the amex blue something no annual fees.  Would it be better to on one of those cards maybe the  1.5% to add either one of us as a user to maximize the spending on one card? 

We are both wanting to sit on the cap ones and keep them for age purpose only.  Should we both app for one more now and then lay low for a couple years?