Jump to content

centex

whatever happened to dressing appropriately for court

RISK OF CLOSURE

Recommended Posts

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Date-set-for-second-murder-trial-in-Terry-13154669.php

 

The picture of the victim's family in particular is the one that I find appalling.  They want to whine and snivel about the lack of respect and whatnot as a result of the original trial having resulted in no conviction.  The case has since been set for a second trial.  Yet there they are showing their own lack of respect for the courts by appearing in ripped jeans and off-the-shoulder tops.  

 

While the defendants are not exactly stellar models for law enforcement themselves, I cannot help but to believe some jurors will use the lack of respect shown by appearance as being the legal equivalent of 'tie goes to the runner,' with the runner in this case being the defendant.  If the family shows the appropriate level of deference to the court by dressing appropriately and acting like they give a damn, then a jury is more apt to find them sympathetic.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my favorite former Chicago radio duos occasionally told a story about a woman who was defending herself in traffic court wearing a tube top over her one b00b.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It used to be in Marion County (Indianapolis) the paper you would get from traffic court if you filed a contest on a traffic ticket would read "PROPER COURTROOM ATTIRE IS REQUIRED" and would list the items that were prohibited to be worn in the courtroom. At the bottom of the paper would read in bold letters "FAILURE TO ABIDE BY THIS RULE WILL LEAD TO YOU BEING EJECTED FROM THE COURTROOM AND A WARRANT FILED AGAINST YOU FOR FAILURE TO APPEAR IN COURT!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Allkindabroke said:

You would think a dead son would be enough to garner sympathy.

1) not when the State overcharges the defendant

2) not when the State is unable to prove up the charge they brought instead of the one that was arguably more appropriate to at least have made for a triable case

3) to another poster, going to Yale has nothing to do with dressing appropriately for courtrooms.  Simply put, you don't wear ripped jeans in public, especially when that public is the courthouse where the media will be focusing on you.

4) each successive poor appearance etched into the media will be even more problematic in the NEXT trial related to this case (either because they have to try the current defendant for a third time or if/when they get around to trying the wife of the husband/wife defendants). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, centex said:

1) not when the State overcharges the defendant

2) not when the State is unable to prove up the charge they brought instead of the one that was arguably more appropriate to at least have made for a triable case

3) to another poster, going to Yale has nothing to do with dressing appropriately for courtrooms.  Simply put, you don't wear ripped jeans in public, especially when that public is the courthouse where the media will be focusing on you.

4) each successive poor appearance etched into the media will be even more problematic in the NEXT trial related to this case (either because they have to try the current defendant for a third time or if/when they get around to trying the wife of the husband/wife defendants). 

When ripped jeans > dead son the terrorists have won. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Allkindabroke said:

When ripped jeans > dead son the terrorists have won. 

 

WTF does a brawl between a Caucasian male and a Hispanic male in Texas have to do with terrorists? 

 

Also, that prized son was guilty of indecent exposure to a minor, urinating in public, intoxicated in public, assault and battery. 

Edited by Konrad2012

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Konrad2012 said:

WTF does a brawl between a Caucasian male and a Hispanic male in Texas have to do with terrorists? 

Texas is well acquainted with terrorism. The state was one short of a bakers dozen of  misguided regions that colluded with a terrorist organization back in the 1860's. 

21 minutes ago, Konrad2012 said:

Also, that prized son was guilty of indecent exposure to a minor, urinating in public, intoxicated in public, assault and battery. 

I don't believe that activity is punishable by death in any U.S. state or territory.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Allkindabroke said:

 

I don't believe that activity is punishable by death in any U.S. state or territory.  

And your reading of all of the offense reports and relevant provisions of law should ALSO have informed you that the off-duty officers did not commit the offense of murder.  The State has enough problem showing that there was even any manner of criminal negligence much less an intent to cause the death of the deceased.  Intent matters in charges such as this.  

 

Oh, you haven't read offense reports or seen anything other than what is viewable online...well, that explains a lot.  

 

But it is ALSO irrelevant to the fact that people were photographed in apparel that is wholly inappropriate for public settings AND the courtroom.  And it is clearly not a situation where they only have jeans worn from use...they are in jeans that people pay a mark-up for to look that trashy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, centex said:

And your reading of all of the offense reports and relevant provisions of law should ALSO have informed you that the off-duty officers did not commit the offense of murder.  The State has enough problem showing that there was even any manner of criminal negligence much less an intent to cause the death of the deceased.  Intent matters in charges such as this.  

 

Oh, you haven't read offense reports or seen anything other than what is viewable online...well, that explains a lot.  

 

But it is ALSO irrelevant to the fact that people were photographed in apparel that is wholly inappropriate for public settings AND the courtroom.  And it is clearly not a situation where they only have jeans worn from use...they are in jeans that people pay a mark-up for to look that trashy.  

The "law" doesn't matter to certain groups of people. They think the "law" is a racist bunch of words in a book written by "old white men" and doesn't apply to them unless its convenient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Allkindabroke said:

Texas is well acquainted with terrorism. The state was one short of a bakers dozen of  misguided regions that colluded with a terrorist organization back in the 1860's.  

Nice Red Herring.  Maybe it's La Salle's fault?

Edited by Konrad2012

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep. OJ Simpson dressed nicely for court each day, never testified, and was found not guilty. Dressing appropriately won't hurt.

 

The few times I've been to court I dress appropriately. Most was for jury duty. I've never have made it on a jury, so it never helped me there. Another time was for a court hearing where I was asked to appear in determining what to do with a drunk driver who hit me (demolished my car). I dressed for that and ended up being put in the room where the defendants checked-in. That error wasn't realized until I got into the courtroom and they asked my name. Dressing up for that didn't help me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 2:41 PM, Burgerwars said:

Yep. OJ Simpson dressed nicely for court each day, never testified, and was found not guilty. Dressing appropriately won't hurt.

 

The few times I've been to court I dress appropriately. Most was for jury duty. I've never have made it on a jury, so it never helped me there. Another time was for a court hearing where I was asked to appear in determining what to do with a drunk driver who hit me (demolished my car). I dressed for that and ended up being put in the room where the defendants checked-in. That error wasn't realized until I got into the courtroom and they asked my name. Dressing up for that didn't help me.

On the first day of a Mex. Mafia trial doing jury duty I wore a bright blue windbreaker. I noticed a couple of the defendants eyeballing me and appearing to covertly wink. Struck me as a bit strange. After the trial was over and I did a bit of research I found out blue was a Mex. Mafia gang color.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:32 PM, centex said:

And your reading of all of the offense reports and relevant provisions of law should ALSO have informed you that the off-duty officers did not commit the offense of murder.  The State has enough problem showing that there was even any manner of criminal negligence much less an intent to cause the death of the deceased.  Intent matters in charges such as this.  

 

Oh, you haven't read offense reports or seen anything other than what is viewable online...well, that explains a lot.  

 

But it is ALSO irrelevant to the fact that people were photographed in apparel that is wholly inappropriate for public settings AND the courtroom.  And it is clearly not a situation where they only have jeans worn from use...they are in jeans that people pay a mark-up for to look that trashy.  

Just picking up where I left off.

 

I don't believe the word murder appears in my post so I have no idea to what you're responding. I did mention a dead son.  There is plenty of evidence that the victim is very much dead and was also someone's son.      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Allkindabroke said:

Mrs. Slocomb would be proud.

I would post more but I need to get home by 6. If I am late my sweet tea goes all over the kitchen

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Topic Under Special Surveillance Please be aware that management is watching this topic closely and it is at high risk of being closed.  Any members who violate our terms of service once this tag has been applied to a thread will be immediately warned and, depending on the mood of the administrators, may be restricted from posting for 24 hours.  Please consider your response carefully.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. pixelzen
      pixelzen
      Age: 36
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      176,080
    • Most Online
      1,528

    Newest Member
    vainan
    Joined

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.
×

Important Information

Guidelines