Sign in to follow this  
breeze

Seattle: crazy guy steals airplane

Thanks. I was looking at ariel pictures of the island where the plane was supposed to be crashing and wondering where that road and bridge could be. Didn't quite make sense, but it was late and I wasn't going to check any further.

Curious whether this is going to make general aviation more onerous...after all, now the masses realize why experienced flyers have discussed the real soft underbelly.

He also proves the OTHER truism...getting off the ground is the easy part, landing...not so much.  This would be even more accurate in complex aircraft.  Very different landing multi-engines compared to a single engine, especially when you screw up the fuel burn rates.

Guy was suicidal, and wanted to have some fun first and do barrel rolls before, "calling it a night," as he put it to air traffic control. Seems he did exactly what he intended. Landing, in the traditional sense, wasn't his plan.

Reportedly, he had no pilot training. Simulator games are quite good these days and he might have had access to Alaska Air's simulators.

12 hours ago, cashnocredit said:

Guy was suicidal, and wanted to have some fun first and do barrel rolls before, "calling it a night," as he put it to air traffic control. Seems he did exactly what he intended. Landing, in the traditional sense, wasn't his plan.

Reportedly, he had no pilot training. Simulator games are quite good these days and he might have had access to Alaska Air's simulators.

Even if landing was not 'his plan,' the reality is that it IS far easier to get ANY plane off the ground than to put it back down in one piece. 

This illustrates MANY shortcomings at SeaTac.  There are a number of radio calls that have to be made and for a plane to be moving around on the tarmac without those calls having been made says multiple towers were asleep at the wheel. 

You really don't even need a simulator to get the knowledge to get metal up and running and into the air.  It just ISN'T that difficult of a task.  And once in the air, it is even easier than when behind the wheel of a car on cruise control. 

If I lived in Seattle I'd also want to kill myself, but I would probably just start the car and let it run in a closed garage.

49 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

If I lived in Seattle I'd also want to kill myself, but I would probably just start the car and let it run in a closed garage.

You could always take a small amount of solace in the fact that you don't live in Portland. 

1 hour ago, Konrad2012 said:

You could always take a small amount of solace in the fact that you don't live in Portland. 

Anywhere on the left coast would make one suicidal...

4 hours ago, Konrad2012 said:

Amen.  But I'd still start the car, shut the door and turn on some Depeche Mode.

On 8/11/2018 at 2:32 PM, breeze said:

Thanks. I was looking at ariel pictures of the island where the plane was supposed to be crashing and wondering where that road and bridge could be. Didn't quite make sense, but it was late and I wasn't going to check any further.

I only knew because I'd seen it before.

I had seen it, but thought it was a different plane. But it still didn't add up. I was too tired to think it through.

5 hours ago, TheVig said:

You could play this and probably not have to shut the garage.

That's a great idea.  I'll put a couple of songs from The Cure on my play list also.  Veins in my head pop when I hear that.

Turns out the guy was a baggage handler at the airport. Apparently his only "experience" was a simulator on his home PC.

They are quite good but can't replicate the physical inertial effects. Especially stalling. Probably wasn't monitoring his airspeed at the end or maybe just nosed it in on purpose. At least he wasn't homicidal. Could have done some serious damage had he wanted.