Please use the Feedback forum for questions about the upgrade.  We will get to them as quickly as possible.

cv91915

Question About Bank Accounts in the Name of a Trust vs. Individual with the Trust as Beneficiary

I am the successor trustee for my (retired) aunt's trust. 

Since my uncle died she looks to me for advice and help on a lot of life matters, which I cherish because she's been so good to me.

Aside from her retirement and other investment accounts that are in good shape, she has several miscellaneous accounts with a considerable amount of money that is sitting there essentially doing nothing.

I want to set up a CD ladder for her, but she has been insisting that the CDs need to be in the name her trust. 

Several of the first banks I've considered won't mess with accounts for trusts, but rather they suggest that you set up the account in the name of the individual and designate the trust as the beneficiary. 

Is there any practical difference when she ultimately passes away?

ywUCrxh.png

Edited by cv91915

13 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

Is the reason for having the accounts in a trust is in case she would need to enter an extended heath care facility?

I don't know the thought process behind the trust.  

Sometimes she asks for my advice and I do research.  Sometimes she makes her own decisions.  

Barring gently preventing her from doing anything obviously ill-advised I'm trying to enable her wishes rather than commandeer and manage her assets, if that makes sense.

My parents, on the other hand, are increasingly looking to me to make financial decisions for them, which is more stressful.