Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Konrad2012

NFCU Flagship upgrades rewards

Recommended Posts

Looks like NFCU is stepping up the rewards on the Flagship.  They will now be giving 3 points on travel, and 2 points on everything else.

 

Most notable is that 1 point now equals $0.01 whether redeemed as cash, towards gift cards or towards travel redemptions.

 

Also offering a GE/PreCheck credit once every 48 months.

 

The travel category is fairly expansive:  https://www.navyfederal.org/email-marketing/creditcards/35707-flagship-existing.php?cmpid=em|pro|campaign|productgroup|product|creative|08/06/2018|jobnumber||cb1.3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So now if you spend $4,900 a year on travel on this card you can break even on the AF compared to a no-AF flat 2% card.

 

I suppose that's progress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

So now if you spend $4,900 a year on travel on this card you can break even on the AF compared to a no-AF flat 2% card.

 

I suppose that's progress.

The travel earning rate would be 3x points, making $1633.34 in travel spend the break even for AF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, plavey said:

The travel earning rate would be 3x points, making $1633.34 in travel spend the break even for AF.

My comparison was to a 2% card.

 

If the Flagship gets you 3% back on travel, and you could get 2% back with no AF elsewhere, that's an additional 1% on the Fagship.

 

$4,900 x the additional 1% would cover the $49 AF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is changing my plans to redeem my ~110k remaining points from ~9 months down to one.

 

I don't know if I'll ever apply for GE, but there are things I like about NFCU, so this will remain my ~2% card until something that makes sense for my plan comes along. 

 

Does anyone know if there is a waiting period to apply for this card if you PC an existing Flagship to another Navy product?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mec said:

This is changing my plans to redeem my ~110k remaining points from ~9 months down to one.

 

I don't know if I'll ever apply for GE, but there are things I like about NFCU, so this will remain my ~2% card until something that makes sense for my plan comes along. 

1.  Why on earth would you let $1100 in points just sit in your NFCU rewards wallet?

 

2.  If you travel internationally and don't have a criminal record, why wouldn't you apply for what is essentially free GE?   If you never fly internationally, or do so so infrequently that getting to a GE interview center isn't worth the time, then do TSA PreCheck which is also essentially free and doesn't even require an interview appointment at the interview center of which there are substantially more locations (in comparison to GE). 

Edited by Konrad2012

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't notice a good way to get them out at a penny per and have a plan for them eventually, so I was just waiting for that day to come. I have spent about $1,200 worth of them so far on basically anything that they redeem at a cent each for.

 

My next trip across the US border will be my first since before 9-11. I have been thinking that I may be able to time a trip to Baltimore (my nearest interview city) with some other activity eventually, but overall I don't have very many travel days in a year. If that doesn't present itself, it sounds like PreCheck  would be a good alternative. I'll have to look it up and read the details.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Konrad2012 said:

1.  Why on earth would you let $1100 in points just sit in your NFCU rewards wallet?

 

2.  If you travel internationally and don't have a criminal record, why wouldn't you apply for what is essentially free GE?   If you never fly internationally, or do so so infrequently that getting to a GE interview center isn't worth the time, then do TSA PreCheck which is also essentially free and doesn't even require an interview appointment at the interview center of which there are substantially more locations (in comparison to GE). 

Mobile Passport is free and also very fast upon re-entry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mec said:

My next trip across the US border will be my first since before 9-11. I have been thinking that I may be able to time a trip to Baltimore (my nearest interview city) with some other activity eventually, but overall I don't have very many travel days in a year. If that doesn't present itself, it sounds like PreCheck  would be a good alternative. I'll have to look it up and read the details.

If you haven't left the US in 17+ years, just do PreCheck.  Cards that reimburse for GE reimburse for PreCheck. 

 

https://www.tsa.gov/precheck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2018 at 10:04 AM, cv91915 said:

 the Fagship.

Freudian slip, legitimate typo or does cv's loathe of CUs run that deep? I'm on the fence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I redeemed all my points to my savings account at 1 cpp, but I had to call in to do it. Trying to complete the redemption online showed that I would NOT get 1 cpp.  CV, you might want to add that to your thread. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2018 at 7:48 AM, mendelssohn said:

I redeemed all my points to my savings account at 1 cpp, but I had to call in to do it. Trying to complete the redemption online showed that I would NOT get 1 cpp.  CV, you might want to add that to your thread. ;)

The footnote in my 2% thread that explains why this bowl winder doesn't belong in the thread is going to be longer than the thread itself.  😛 

 

PS: I am considering getting this bowl winder for the $500 SUB, and also to see if I have to show up at a branch again to show two forms of ID.  

 

** admin removed content ** 

 

 

Edited by Pam
keep it PG-13 guys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this normal?  

 

I'm running out of $500 SUBs, so I just applied for this card out of desperation.  

 

This will be my 16th best rewards card, at least until the AF kicks in.  🚭

 

MOCsTVB.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Then I got an email from Enneffseeyou telling me that I have a secure message waiting for me.  

 

Except when I logged in I had no messages.

 

So I clicked on the link in the email. The web page needed, among other things, my full savings account number in order to retrieve to the message.

 

So I had to log in to my existing accounts again.

 

I copied/pasted my savings account number into the page that was requesting it, and the message that was waiting for me says that the application is pending.  

 

The status still says "Review in process."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2018 at 1:13 PM, cv91915 said:

Then I got an email from Enneffseeyou telling me that I have a secure message waiting for me.  

 

Except when I logged in I had no messages.

 

So I clicked on the link in the email. The web page needed, among other things, my full savings account number in order to retrieve to the message.

 

So I had to log in to my existing accounts again.

 

I copied/pasted my savings account number into the page that was requesting it, and the message that was waiting for me says that the application is pending.  

 

The status still says "Review in process."

 

 

That's the credit union difference! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When my DW opened her accounts a few months ago, she applied for a CLOC and Visa. Online said "Review in process" for the status until well after she had received and activated the card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, policebox said:

When my DW opened her accounts a few months ago, she applied for a CLOC and Visa. Online said "Review in process" for the status until well after she had received and activated the card.

Memberlicious!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2018 at 1:13 PM, cv91915 said:

Then I got an email from Enneffseeyou telling me that I have a secure message waiting for me.  

 

Except when I logged in I had no messages.

 

So I clicked on the link in the email. The web page needed, among other things, my full savings account number in order to retrieve to the message.

 

So I had to log in to my existing accounts again.

 

I copied/pasted my savings account number into the page that was requesting it, and the message that was waiting for me says that the application is pending.  

 

The status still says "Review in process."

 

I got my card in the mail yesterday.  The status of my application still says, "Review in process."

 

200x0w.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  




  • Today's Birthdays

    1. iliana
      iliana
      Age: 48
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      177,972
    • Most Online
      1,956

    Newest Member
    time2getserious
    Joined

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines