Sign in to follow this  

Hi new member, 

I have a question, I'm currently on a payment plan with NRA collection agency for about $5k in medical debt. 

Which i should have paid off within the next 6 months. 

But I want to know would it be wise to do the HIPPA process now to try to get it just removed from my report. and I still be able to make my monthly payments. 

Also they said they would remove it complete once the debt was paid in full. 

When was your medical service that engendered this debt??

Were you insured?? Was this from a left over deductible and/or co-pay??

I do not suggest you do anything unless and until the account is paid off. Because you obviously entered into a written agreement to pay this CA anything that interrupts your agreement will probably end up badly.

It is possible/probable that once you have paid them all you agreed to they MIGHT delete the account, however, it is more than likely that they will report it as a "paid" collection, which will be WORSE for your credit scores than what is now reporting as while it will still be derogatory, it will have a newer date.

If that occurs, you can THEN dispute it off your reports with the HIPAA letter program.

Meanwhile, follow this guide;

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

If you have any other medical accounts reporting in any way, you can use the initial dispute letter for those;

https://whychat.me/hipaadisp.html

Thank you for the reply,

My medical debt was from July 2017, it was the amount owed after deductible and co-pay. 

I tried to get the hospital to recall the debt and I pay them directly, they wouldn't not do so, said they could take payment each or payment in full. 

But NRA would continued the reporting balance of it on my credit report. 

I connected NRA they said that it would be better for me to pay them directly as the hospital reports to them late some time on payments and it would cause them to report on my CR as late as well. 

I hate that it has tanked my credit score right in the middle of my rebuild. 

Oh they didn't start reporting until June 2018. with the new medical laws on collections believe they have to wait 180 after delinquency. 

Well it is unfortunate that you weren't able to pay it before it hit collections. Sometimes you can fund your co-pays and deductibles with a group like "MY CARE Finance" that gives you 6 Months no interest and then charges a reasonable rate for the balance. 

In any case, once it is paid off you can dispute it off your reports if it shows up as a paid collection.