DPB

Medical Collections - Should Have Been Paid By Insurance

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Why Chat said:

Actually no, it is BETTER!! Balance billing is illegal in most States-- ie the practice of billing for amounts over and above the amount allowed and paid for by an insurer. You can change the language in your letter slightly to include the pertinent laws for your State; ( look it up here)

https://www.commonwealthfund.org/publications/issue-briefs/2017/jun/balance-billing-health-care-providers-assessing-consumer

Awesome!

Also, I just got home and checked the mail. There was a letter from the CFPB regarding the complaint against TU with the same information as the one from EX. I’ll call tomorrow so they can tell me that they aren’t doing anything to help. 

But, there was also a response from the CA. They didn’t bother to type anything up. No cover letter or anything. But they sent me the original bills from the OC. So at least I finally have some of the information that I’ve been requesting.

I’ll type the letter to the OC tonight and mail it out tomorrow. 

Edit: After reading the info sent from the CA, it doesn't provide contact info for the OC. It just gives the PO Box for the company they use to collect payments. So I googled them. The physician association has a local address, which happens to be the same address as the hospital. I'm planning to send the HIPAA letter to the local address and cut out the middleman.

Edited by DPB

Posted (edited)

Should I remove the parts of the letter that talk about paid accounts and patients paying in full out of pocket? Since I'm using insert B (2) I'm not including any payments.

Edited by DPB

8 hours ago, Why Chat said:

I replied in PM, but in fact payment WAS made by your insurance Co. so leave it in.

Thanks.

It's all typed up. I'll mail everything in the morning.

Well, it’s been about a week since I sent the letters to the OC and the hospital. How long do I give them to respond? And is the next step to hire an attorney?

I'm not trying to rush this, but I don’t want to wait too long to file suit if that’s where this ends up going. 

When did they receive it?? Check on line with the tracking #.

As to hiring an attorney-- unless you have a documented loss of some kind- ( turned down for credit etc.) with the ability to sue for damages-- you are not going to find an attorney to take your case without paying him/her upfront a substantial amount. 

If you PM me the name of the CA I will see if there are any other complaints/lawsuits against them.

10 hours ago, Why Chat said:

When did they receive it?? Check on line with the tracking #.

As to hiring an attorney-- unless you have a documented loss of some kind- ( turned down for credit etc.) with the ability to sue for damages-- you are not going to find an attorney to take your case without paying him/her upfront a substantial amount. 

If you PM me the name of the CA I will see if there are any other complaints/lawsuits against them.

They received the letters 7 days ago. 

I was was turned down for credit because of these collections. I was purchasing a car and when the dealership ran my credit they informed me of the collections. I had no knowledge of them until that point. So I had to get a co-signer to get the car. Since then my score has improved some and I can finance things on just my credit, but at a higher interest rate. So it has caused financial harm. 

Even if I have to pay an attorney, it’s worth it to not have three collections on my credit for the next four years. The way I see it, I’m either going to have to pay an attorney to fix it now, or pay higher interest rates for the next four years while I wait for the collections to drop off of my reports. 

I’ll PM you the name of the CA now. 

I looked them up and believe you may be able to file a VERY profitable lawsuit against them.

I sent you the links. You will NOT(IMO) have to pay either of these lawyers up front.