Sign in to follow this  
round2forme

The 40-Year Old salamander

6 hours ago, dvd said:

I would call for a reconsideration. If they still decline you, at least you still have the Optima as a back up.

Once you paid Amex off you wont be on their blacklist, but it does take a while for all their systems to update. If you were declined because of
"previous history" it would be mentioned in the letter.

I think you might get a small bump when your Cap1 appears on your CL and you have a small balance reporting.

dvd, Done and done.  Just spoke to a very nice rep who couldn't do too much for me, but sent the app to u/w and said to give it 5 days for recon.  We shall see.

5 hours ago, cashnocredit said:

Well, beats being Sisyphus. Though Camus imagines him happy.

cashnocredit, I wonder if Camus would have called for recon, or would he have considered it an absurd, sisyphean task.  LOL!  I'll opt for strapping on my wings and giving it my all over resigned acquiescence any day.  In the immortal words of Neil Young, "it's better to burn out than fade away." 😊

11 hours ago, round2forme said:

DVD and CV,

Poor Icarus.  He flew too high.  Went for the BCE and received an instant denial.  According to the decision letter, it was based on EX FICO score of 604 from 7/14/2018.  So no hard pull.  Maybe I'm still on the Black List, but why would I have gotten a pre-qual yesterday?

I just logged into MF to check EX and see that the brand new Discover reported yesterday and resulted in ANOTHER score jump:

EX: (June 2018) 604 -> (yesterday) 648 (+44) -> (today) 679 (+31)

Not bad for having activated the card less than 12 hours ago!  Guys, I know scores are just numbers, and I promise I am in this for the long haul, but I'm pretty happy right now!

So I'm planning on calling AMEX to ask for reconsideration based on where I am now.  I know there's a TON of information out there on recon, which I'll read up on before making the call this afternoon.  

Any tips would be appreciated, but I know I need to do my homework. 😉

round2

According to the decision letter, what is the reason AmEx declined your application?  AmEx is not known for recons. 

According to the decision letter, what is the reason AmEx declined your application?  AmEx is not known for recons. 

Insufficient FICO of 604 on EX from 7/14/2018. Reason codes were:

Account(s) not paid as agreed.
Proportion of revolving balances to revolving credit limits is too high.
Number of accounts delinquent
Insufficient number of satisfactory accounts.

I know AMEX isn’t known for recons but I figured with the 45 point FICO jump on EX, all accounts paid, and UTI now showing zero, it was worth the call.

Like dvd said, worst case the u/w gives me another decline when they HP and I follow up on the Optima program. Best case scenario, I become one of the rare few with a successful AMEX recon and get to start rebuilding my relationship with them with a card that will grow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When did your EX Fico update.

Amex used the SP from 7/14 so your increased EX Fico was probably after their pull.

So the next EX SP will show your updated score.

1 hour ago, althes said:

When did your EX Fico update.

Amex used the SP from 7/14 so your increased EX Fico was probably after their pull.

So the next EX SP will show your updated score.

althes, correct.  The SP was before the increase in EX.  

EX FICO Timeline

XD4vK3I.jpg

Today, Disco reported the new CL to EQ and TU with similar effect to EX:

EQ: 639 -> 667

TU: 655-> 687

EX: 679 

Again, very happy with the numbers.  As of this evening, AMEX hasn't done a HP from my recon request from yesterday, and the app status is still In Progress.

After being lost in spreadsheet Hades for the past week, I decided to take a break and follow up with AMEX.  I checked the online status of my recon, which had gone from Declined to In Process after my call.  Well, it reverted back to Declined. 

I figured I would have at least gotten a HP, but nothing on EQ, TU, or EX.  Also, when I reviewed the e-doc attached to the Declined, I noticed it was the same as the original from 8/21.  I received a letter in the mail from AMEX yesterday.  It confirmed AMEX had "reviewed my recon request, but they were sorry to inform me that they had decided to abide by their original decision". No further details provided. 

As of today, I still show no HPs.

The AMEX Prequal check is still showing the Green Card, BCE, Everyday, and now the Delta Gold Card.  All cards showing an actual APR (not a range).  

As a tip for anyone who is waiting by their mailbox for their Optima application, I still hadn't gotten my Optima application as of today.  While poking around in my quarantine folder today I stumbled across an email from AMEX with an encrypted *.pdf file.  Opened it up, and low and behold, it was the application for Optima.  Since it was an encrypted file, it went to quarantine (not spam).  

I think I'm going to sit on it till later in September.  I'll "guestimate" when AMEX updates my SP credit file (last pull was 7/14 according to the Declined letter), and re-apply for BCE.  If I actually get declined based on my current credit report, I'll send in the Optima application.

My focus now is racking up on-time payments.

- round2  

Thanks to some market shifts, my job responsibilities are expanding and I'll be hitting the road more frequently starting next year.  Since we exclusively fly Delta, I figured hey, see if AMEX is still showing that Delta Gold SkyMiles pre-approval.  I figure worst case scenario, they SP my old score from July and I get declined.  No big deal.  Checking the AMEX site, I found that yes, the Gold is still showing up with a slight difference. 

Instead of the previous 24 or 25% APR, it was showing 17.25%.  I also noticed it had the 50K SkyMiles points bonus after $1000 spent in 3 months.  That wasn't there the last time I checked. 

I filled the application out, and waited for the decision to be kicked back.  No decision.  Just a message "Please call us", which I did.  After going through some basic ID questions by the very helpful rep...

"Congratulations, Mr. Salamander.  You're approved!"

Then a pause....

Here it comes... the starting $500 baby limit.  I don't care.  I'm back in with AMEX!

"Mr. Salamander, I'm not sure what you're doing with your credit, but keep it up!  You've been approved for a starting credit limit of $10,000!"

I don't even know what to say other than, THANK YOU Creditboards family!!!!  I brought the dedication and commitment to fix what I broke, but you wonderful people brought your advice, support, and personal experience.

Suffice to say, no Optima program for me. 😄

Here's where I very gratefully sit going into September:

• All collection accounts paid
  • All active accounts current
  • CL's at $15,000: Discover IT Secured $2,000, Capital One QuickSilver One $3,000, AMEX Delta Gold SkyMiles $10,000
  • EQ: 667, TU: 687, EX: 686

-round2

On 8/21/2018 at 12:53 PM, cashnocredit said:

Well, beats being Sisyphus. Though Camus imagines him happy.

Props for mentioning Sisyphus here.