Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

1. dvd

• Similar Content

• By ON-MY_way
      I had a NFCU cc of $25,xxx (25k) charged off in Dec. 2018.   During my small business startup and struggles I tried my best to stay afloat.  I managed to keep my  NFCU auto loan ($31k, balance $5,000, never miss/late payment) and NFCU cc ( $3000 never miss/late payment) current.  

My Equifax lists:
      12/2018 Charged off account
      Date of Last Payment Aug 01, 2020 (I made NO PAYMENTS or arrangements since CO.  I keep little money (under $100 in my checking savings.  Low and behold In August 2020 I see a 'DR Adjustment' of $1000 from my checking.  After investigating I learned that a commercial account deposit I had in 2016 was credited back to me and the acct they had on file was NFCU and they snatched the grand and sent me a letter 'thanking me' for my payment of $1000.  
      My state is NC, does this now effect my SOL?   Is this legal for NFCU to take money from your checking account and update the CRA as you've made a payment when I did not initiate it?

After this eye-opening moment, I did some research and it's my guess that NFCU loan terms have 'cross-collateralization' verbiage.  
      When my NFCU auto loan is paid in full, will they send me the title or 'hold' it until the CO is paid off or settled for agreed amount?  If I settle at a percentage of CO before auto loan is paid, will I get the title once auto loan is zero balance?

I reached out to NFCU collections and got an offer to settle the co acct for $4000, so including the $1000 they already debited, that 20% of the charged off amount to stop the collection process.  I'm assuming even with all the lawsuits NFCU has been a part of since 2016 to present, PFD is not an option on the table as a counter offer.  I have the means to pay $4,000 to them within 10 days, besides my CRA showing 'paid, settled for less', how will this effect my credit and score?

I know the general opinion on CB is that NFCU is GREAT and one should try to stay in their good graces, but it seems things there have changed for the downhill since 2017 and with a recent whistleblower lawsuit concerning their mortgage underwriting practices... their home loans advantage could also suffer in the near future.  Personally at this stage, I'm not '$25k-in-love' with NFCU, but if you can offer reasons to sway my judgment, it will be enlightening.   
      All in all, I'm seeking advice to get my title once the vehicle is paid off and maintaining the 'most amicable' relationship with NFCU going forward holding a single credit card, checking, and saving accts.  

• By PS2020
      Heya, found this forum through a Reddit recommendation and have been thumbing through it for the past few days, and wanted to thank you all for the information you all post! I'm still kind of new to this, so I'm trying to best figure out how to handle my situation and could use some advice.

The wife and I are thinking of home ownership in the next year or two so i'm trying to fix my side of the credit now. I THOUGHT I had several things in collections (frankly I should), but according to my credit reports from the big 3, I don't. Hell, I had 7 negative accounts back in january, but I checked again with annual credit report and I currently just have 3 accounts with negative marks. There's a 4th card that Experian and TU report, which is my Discount Tire (SYNCB/CAR CARE DISC TIRE), BUT it reports it as lost/stolen for some reason, even though I never did such a thing. REGARDLESS, I'll deal with that one if and when I need to (unless you have advice you'd like to give on that). I want to focus on the 3 that show up on all 3 credit reports.

I'm not sure which Credit Report to go with as far as figuring out dates and stuff, because they're all kind of slightly different, so I'll mainly go with Experian:

Amex -
      Payment Status - Charged Off
      Status Updated - September 2019
      Balance - $559
      Past Due Amount - $352
      Balance Updated - September 18 2020
      (Equifax) Delinquency First Reported - Sep 01, 2019
      (Trans Union) Estimated month and year that this item will be removed - 06/2022

Chase Sapphire -
      Status Updated - April 2019
      Balance - $5,693
      Past Due Amount - $5,693
      Balance Updated - April 22 2019
      (Equifax) Delinquency First Reported Apr 01, 2019
      (Trans Union) Estimated month and year that this item will be removed - 12/2020

Chase Amazon -
      Status Updated - April 2019
      Balance - $730
      Past Due Amount - $730
      Balance Updated - April 22 2019
      (Equifax) Delinquency First Reported Apr 01, 2019
      (Trans Union) Estimated month and year that this item will be removed - 09/2025

I'm not sure why my sapphire says it'll be removed (allegedly of course) by the end of this year, because it's a higher debt and it wasn't paid the same time the chase amazon card wasn't, so that's where i'm confused. In fact, i'm just very confused in general, because I know I had more cards than this that I defaulted on unfortunately. I know you all heard every single "life was difficult" story, so please don't take my lack of elaborating as not caring about my mistakes, because I do deeply care; i'd just rather not bore you all with the same story you've heard before.

SO

I guess my question would be what is the best way of going about dealing with these 3 negative marks? I've gotten phone calls and letters for years and just never answer or respond to them. In fact, i'm sitting on a letter from Nationwide Credit in regards to my Chase Sapphire card from a couple weeks ago.

Do I even bother dealing with letters from Nationwide Credit for example? Should I ignore those completely and go straight to the Original Creditors? If so, how do I even start that conversation? I'm in Illinois so I know the SOL is 5 years, which is why some of the "Estimated time this item will be removed" is confusing to me. 

Anyways, thank you all for your time! If you need more info or if I asked in the wrong place, I'm deeply sorry! I just don't know where to start.

• By Toast73
      Since my first store credit card in the summer of 1992 (JC Penney), Experian has used some form of subterfuge to decimate my credit rating with them.

Their latest attempt to hornswoggle my credit report is actually frustrating me to the point of driving to their nearest corporate office (Schaumburg, IL).

I have disputed items that are both obviously incorrect to the human eye and to the CRA. They verify the items and finish my dispute at 4:09AM.
      I request a reinvestigation. They verify it and finish the reinvestigation at 6:12AM.

My report is in Special Handling, so I am confused as to why some pissed off Bangladeshi is completing my requests (as evidenced by the time of completion) instead of someone stateside.

Nonetheless, I am overnighting 8 separate MOV letters to Experian requesting that they tell me who they spoke to at Montgomery Ward, and why an online catalog store told them I have an unsecured loan with them (when they do not offer such). Or how Gettington can tell me they cannot find anything they shipped to my non-existent address, yet can verify an account with Experian. (to name a few of my grievances).

I am simultaneously sending each of the 8 companies a "Hey, can you tell me who you spoke with at Experian" letter. I fully expect all 8 to tell me "WTF are you talking about? Nobody from Experian contacted us."

With paperwork in tow, I will find an FCRA attorney to hit them with 8 counts of FCRA malfeasance. I will look to settle with them for emotional damage, the violations, cost of preparing all notices (at $25 an hour) and whatever else is deemed just and proper.

At this point, I'm not sure its about getting items removed anymore; it is painfully obvious that Experian (et al.) has a penchant for shoving the proverbial ham candle up the consumer's keister, sans lube, and intends to continue to do so with little (if any) oversight for all of eternity.

I am still unsure if I can file action against LexisNexis for freezing my report in accordance with Georgia law (I am a Hoosier), and for referring to me as a female (my wife will verify my manparts if needed).

Guess I am looking for input, and possibly some caveats, before firing these letters off.
    • By Toast73
      So I disputed (or so I thought I disputed) addresses off the Big 4. TU removed all addresses except for my current. EQ has my current and another non-BK address. EX won't budge.

All bureaus froze. Microbilt, LexisNexis, SageStream, Chex, you name it. 

Try to get full verification of the bankruptcy on my file, thinking the whole Trial Rule 1005 thing would help me (this rule makes only the last 4 of your social, full name and addy public-facing).

No dice.

This was the response L/N fed me, including a few notes in RED.

Please critique, tell me I have no chance for removal, something....

• By invisible
      Basically, below are the baddies on my reports. I know I can't do much for the lates, but I'm hoping I can work on the other ones. I’ve been lurking and researching, but not sure what to start with. Any help is appreciated.

Equifax

Lates:   Auto loan – 10x in past 2 yrs.
                  8 Navient Accounts – 7x in past 2yrs. (although was in forbearance)
                  2 Utah Higher Edu Accounts – 6x in past 2 yrs. (must verify if was in forbearance or deferment)
                  1 ACS Group Account – Sold in 2016, shows as closed and current status of 120 days past due.

Charge Offs:    Cap One #1 = $1850 from Apr 2020, but shows as open and 120+ past due
                              UM Old Balance from 2012 – $8k

Experian

Lates:   Auto loan – 14x in past 2 yrs. Status says: Now paying/was a charge-off
                  2 Utah Higher Edu Accounts – 6x in past 2 yrs. (must verify if was in forbearance or deferment)
                  1 ACS Group Account – Sold in 2016, shows as closed and current status of 120 days past due.

Charge Offs:    Cap One #1 = $1850 from Apr 2020
                              Cap One #2 = $613 from Oct 2019

Trans Union

Lates:   Auto loan – 14x in past 2 yrs. (says C/O for Oct 2018)

Charge Offs:    Cap One #1 = $1850 from Apr 2020
                              Cap One #2 = $636 from Oct 2019

Collections:     IC Systems (Charter Communications) = $167

Auto loan: It was almost a repo. I paid past due the same day they set it out to be towed. I was 3 months behind. Why are they saying it was a charge off? What can I do?
      Student loans: I was in forbearance, but Navient says they no longer change credit reports. They sent me letter confirming forbearance for those months.
      Charge Offs: Since they are within past year, should I try to settle, pay in full, or wait a while?

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Dollardos313
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines