Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

He killed someone in a parking space dispute. But police say he just stood his ground.

The last post in this topic was posted 838 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Video rarely tells a complete story...I could make a valid argument from that snippet that there was no real retreat by the deceased AND it appeared he was going to his waistband.  Given the force of the shove, righteous shoot.  One less salamander running amuck...

This^^^

Also, the boyfriend was probably PO'd before he left the store since his son stayed behind in the store. Did he hear the confrontation from inside the store? Did he see what was going on through the window? Or, did the girlfriend call him on his cell phone and say (you can fill in the blank)? More importantly, why did the girlfriend get out of the car? At that point, I would have felt 2 people were about to kick my a$$, or worse. Remember, we have no idea what was being said by either party.

Yeah, that was an assault, easy to see. Then the dude backed off when he saw the gun.

Moral of the story, if you don't have a handicapped tag, don't park in a handicapped space. I've been known to tell people off for doing that.

2 hours ago, breeze said:

Yeah, that was an assault, easy to see. Then the dude backed off when he saw the gun.

Moral of the story, if you don't have a handicapped tag, don't park in a handicapped space. I've been known to tell people off for doing that.

Cuts both ways.

https://www.abc10.com/article/news/local/one-out-of-every-8-california-drivers-now-has-a-disabled-parking-placard/110357389

Yeah, the free parking provides an incentive to cheat. We don't have that here. But keep in mind, you can't see everyone's disability: joint replacements, bad backs, heart conditions, breathing conditions, anything that prevents a person from walking what can be a long distance.

In some parking lots it's superfluous though, like a 7-11 where the lot is small anyway.  Usually people who get mad about it are either handicapped themselves and had to park somewhere else because someone took advantage, or they're close to someone who's handicapped. 

If a doctor signs it, that's it though, here and most other places.  

It's a cleaner shoot than the two dooshbag LAPD officers that fired rounds into the front door of a Trader Joes from sidearms at 50yds and killed that poor lady. 

They should be charged. 

Edited by Konrad2012

Illegally parking in the space is only part of the issue.

Witnesses stated the shooter was known for harassing people on the property? Why is that? He wasn't security or law enforcement? He wasn't the store or property owner? What did he say to the mother in the car? What interchange took place between them? Video shows part of the situation, but it needs to be thoroughly investigated.

'Regulars at the convenience store in Clearwater, Fla.,—including its owner—say that the gunman, Michael Drejka, was known for harassing people over parking spaces.'

Edited by tmcgill

My husband and I totally disagree on this. I believe the shooter was justified, and dh says the guy was already retreating. He says whether he was retreating because of the gun or not, it doesn't matter, the fact is he was retreating. I personally don't think it was that much of a retreat, more of a single step back. Who knows what the guy said to the old man after he slammed him to the ground. I'm guessing the threatened him even more. And who does that? Who just walks up to someone and just sucker slams them down like that without seeing what the argument was about.

It was ridiculous. You can't put your hands on someone! If you do, especially in Florida or TX, you just may get shot. I think the old man could reasonably assume if he had gotten up that he was going to get slammed down again.

I agree though that the old man should've minded his own business. What a jerk! I can only imagine what he would've done in my situation the other day. It was 2 days ago Friday and I parked in the shopping center and was walking across the parking lot towards Spectrum Cable's door. We're switching back to cable after being with Playstation Vue for 2 1/2 years. Anyway, there was a large car parked directly in front of Spectrum's door, in the fire lane. A woman in front of me was carrying two huge boxes that looked heavy and she had to walk around it. There was a big guy in the passenger seat. I walked past the car without looking at the guy, but inwardly I rolled my eyes at him. When I walked in I could see the person he was with wasn't just quickly dropping off a payment. It was a woman arguing about getting cable at a new address, but she had an outstanding bill she had to pay, first. She and the rep went back and forth, and back and forth some more. Finally, another woman came out to take care of the rest of us waiting in line..

I can only imagine a permit patty type of person in my situation who would've gone up to the guy in the car telling them they parked in a fire line and call 911.

Hence the problem with the BS "Stand Your Ground Law".  If the guy threatening people did not have a gun, he wouldn't have been harassing and threatening people on that property. It has been reported, he did this regularly. SYGL gives people a license to kill.

How was he threatened? He was banging on the woman's car - and in fact - meanacing her and her children. Who knows what he actually said to the woman in the car, and the guy he killed. After hitting the guy, the murder victim is backing up when he is shot. The killer instigated the whole thing, then gets mad and kills the guy defending the woman and her kids.

Edited by tmcgill

I didn't see that much in the video. Obviously if the guy routinely harassed people he was a problem that should have been taken care of. No store owner wants their customers harassed.

You leave the store to find someone standing by the family car yelling at your girlfriend, you're not going to take action?  Entirely appropriate to knock his block off.  His only mistake was letting the aggressor get up.  "Stand Your Ground" actually means "Last Man Standing."

Edited by mk_378

Don't knock him on his butt, he might be armed, and take it wrong. Even if he's convicted of murder, you'll be dead.

I guess I have to bite my tongue here to further comment since someone above decided to make posts deliberately aimed at turning this political.

So, I will simply close my involvement with this thread by stating that one is best served to KNOW THE LAW for their jurisdiction.  If you know you are at risk of being plugged, then don't be a dumbass..

2 hours ago, centex said:

I guess I have to bite my tongue here to further comment since someone above decided to make posts deliberately aimed at turning this political.

So, I will simply close my involvement with this thread by stating that one is best served to KNOW THE LAW for their jurisdiction.  If you know you are at risk of being plugged, then don't be a dumbass..

I don't see it, and we're super-sensitive to that kind of thing, and we can see edit history.  So which post are you referring to?

18 hours ago, breeze said:

Don't knock him on his butt, he might be armed, and take it wrong. Even if he's convicted of murder, you'll be dead.

In a Stand Your Ground state there is rather broad permission to act in self-defense against a threatening person.  Once you have initiated such action, it is important to continue until the threat has been fully neutralized.  This was a tactical error by Mr. McGlockton.  A single push was inadequate defensive action, since Mr. Drejka had a gun.  Drejka needed to be further beaten and/or pinned down until he was unable to use his gun.

Stand Your Ground is a terrible law.  But if you live in such a state, you have to act accordingly.

Edited by mk_378

Exactly.  Even in a state with a duty to retreat, it's better to play it safe and de-escalate if at all possible. You  just never know what people will do, especially in the heat of the moment.

Reminds me of my Mom after a near accident while driving. She insisted she had the right of way. I asked her if that was what she wanted in her obituary: "She had the right of way."

Looking back at your earlier post, Drejka never actually got up. McGlockton was standing over him with hands on hips kind of dominant stance. Drejka drew on him very quickly, and was well-practiced and smooth.

the State AG is looking at it & there is a good complete video on ABC

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/senator-stand-ground-parking-lot-death-probed-56876861

Fact is,  when the gun was pulled,  Markeis backed up and was moving away , no longer threatening 

Stand your Ground is for someone moving in on you , fighting you 

not revenge shooting for being pushed down 

and that's my bet for how this will go down - 2nd degree murder

10 hours ago, ICANHASMUNY? said:

the State AG is looking at it & there is a good complete video on ABC

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/senator-stand-ground-parking-lot-death-probed-56876861

Fact is,  when the gun was pulled,  Markeis backed up and was moving away , no longer threatening 

Stand your Ground is for someone moving in on you , fighting you 

not revenge shooting for being pushed down 

and that's my bet for how this will go down - 2nd degree murder

And a defense attorney says after the violent shove and contact with the ground, the defendant was dazed, seeing double and in fear of getting his head stomped. 

Remarkably accurate shooting for someone in that condition, then

since he accurately tracked a  person moving away from him. 

The last post in this topic was posted 838 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.