Sign in to follow this  
mckbulldog02

First Commonwealth Bank

I wanted to share an update to  a recent account opening with no issue. Back last November 22, 2017 i applied online at First Commonwealth Bank and was denied due to Chexsystems. On June 29, 2018, i applied again and thought what the hell. The next morning, I had an email saying my application was approved. I funded it $50.00 and got debit card in the mail within 7 days and got checks 10 days later. I am still in Chexsystems. My significant other and Mother are both on chexsystems to. They applied as well, and were both approved. I went to a local branch on July 21, 2018 and opened a business account, They offer free business accounts. I was approved. No mention of chexsystems, efunds, fiserv was never mentioned by the banker. I always try and get as many banks as i can and use them so that one day i have back up banks and a plan. It seems lately a lot of banks are merging these days.  The website to the bank is www.fcbanking.com

Wells Fargo Bank Branches in Ohio, Indiana, Michigan are merging by the end of 2018 to FlagStar Bank 

Fifth Third to Merge with MB Financial, a Chicago based Bank. 

First Financial Bank, effective 05/29/18 merger has been completed with MainSource Bank.

First Merit Bank in Akron, OH and Foundation Bank in Cincinnati, OH have merged with First Commonwealth Bank 

First Merit Bank in Akron, OH has merged some branches to Huntington. 

So as you can see, a lot of mergers have happened within the last year. 

Thanks and welcome.

We'll check out the banks you listed and get the specific details.

Banks are required by federal law to verify your identity, so they run some type of inquiry when you apply. It may just be a soft pull from one of the credit reporting agencies.

Mergers in today's economy are the name of the game. Banks also change their approval policies depending on their business initiatives, the number of charged-off checking accounts, a new loss prevention team, or a change in management. Often they will still run Chexsystems - but will bypass the pull if the information has aged beyond a certain number of months.

Edited by tmcgill

Hey guys! Well I read this thread and figured why not give this a shot? I went ahead and applied last night for their free checking account and just checked my e-mail: I was approved! Just have to verify the bank deposits and I'm good to go! Will update once I get my debit card and such in the mail.

8 hours ago, Torrez said:

Hey guys! Well I read this thread and figured why not give this a shot? I went ahead and applied last night for their free checking account and just checked my e-mail: I was approved! Just have to verify the bank deposits and I'm good to go! Will update once I get my debit card and such in the mail.

Do you live in a state that they do business in ? This may also help those that live outside Ohio, and Pennsylvania. 

3 hours ago, mckbulldog02 said:

Do you live in a state that they do business in ? This may also help those that live outside Ohio, and Pennsylvania. 

I reside in Illinois.

6 hours ago, tmcgill said:

Thanks for the update. How old is your Chexsystems information?

My Chex is a couple of years old I believe.

They may ignore negative entry that is 24 months or older. Will call them and verify their approval process.

Update: You can also make ATM deposits at US Bank ATMs. They are a part of the NYCE shared deposit ATM network. I deposited a small amount to see what kind of hold times, and availability it is when not done at a First Commonwealth ATM.  I will post another update on the availability of funds. 

On 7/26/2018 at 9:51 AM, tmcgill said:

They may ignore negative entry that is 24 months or older. Will call them and verify their approval process.

I called two First Commonwealth Bank branches in Columbus, OH and spoke to a retail banker. The banker advised that they do run chexsystems, but however due to a recent system upgrade I was informed that they are by passing any chexsystems records and are not even looking at them or using the report to deny the account.  The banker then said, this is America, we believe that everyone should be able to bank with us regardless of their past. She further stated, we also think everyone deserves a chance. 

16 hours ago, mckbulldog02 said:

Update: You can also make ATM deposits at US Bank ATMs. They are a part of the NYCE shared deposit ATM network. I deposited a small amount to see what kind of hold times, and availability it is when not done at a First Commonwealth ATM.  I will post another update on the availability of funds. 

Update: The ATM deposit was made at 1:12 am and was available in the account at 7:00 am when i logged in to check.  So basically it took about 6 hours or less to be available, however, they did charge an ATM fee of $2.50 to make that ATM deposit. 

Edited by mckbulldog02

2 hours ago, mckbulldog02 said:

Update: The ATM deposit was made at 1:12 am and was available in the account at 7:00 am when i logged in to check.  So basically it took about 6 hours or less to be available, however, they did charge an ATM fee of $2.50 to make that ATM deposit. 

Thank you so much man! All I'm waiting for is the debit card to arrive. They took the deposit, e-signed the paperwork & registered for online banking.

Edited by Torrez

mckbulldog02 and Torrez, - thanks for the updates. Let's hope that banker remains at the bank. 🙂

Edited by tmcgill

13 hours ago, Torrez said:

UPDATE, I just received my debit card in the mail. Activated it and ready to go! Thanks

mckbulldog02

I am glad that my post was able to help you out and get the account you needed. I have an update as well, the bank called me today to follow up on if i had any questions regarding the new account. The banker went over hold times and deposit availibility as a new customer and the mobile deposit cut off time is 7:45 PM EST 

22 hours ago, mckbulldog02 said:

I am glad that my post was able to help you out and get the account you needed. I have an update as well, the bank called me today to follow up on if i had any questions regarding the new account. The banker went over hold times and deposit availibility as a new customer and the mobile deposit cut off time is 7:45 PM EST 

Thanks again man!

Nice find!

Looks like they have a secured cc also, might be a good option for rebuilders.

Just applied for the free checking online with Chex issues almost five years old. Fingers crossed.

Edited by HELOCopter

Checking account approved 2/22/19 with $50 minimum deposit. Free with e-statements. After you apply they'll email you a signature card to Docusign, then they'll call you from a Pennsylvania number to welcome you as a customer (i.e. ask what brought you to the bank and probe a little to see if they can possibly open any other accounts for you).

This is after being denied by Alliant CU (10 years and they still won't even give me an ATM card for my savings account!), Discover (1+ year relationship), Ally and Capital One 360 (had an account years ago but closed it because I didn't need it anymore).

Inquired about the secured card when they called. I was told they pull EX and the card never graduates, but you're "eligible to apply for" one of their other cards after a year.

25 minutes ago, HELOCopter said:

Checking account approved 2/22/19 with $50 minimum deposit. Free with e-statements. After you apply they'll email you a signature card to Docusign, then they'll call you from a Pennsylvania number to welcome you as a customer (i.e. ask what brought you to the bank and probe a little to see if they can possibly open any other accounts for you).

This is after being denied by Alliant CU (10 years and they still won't even give me an ATM card for my savings account!), Discover (1+ year relationship), Ally and Capital One 360 (had an account years ago but closed it because I didn't need it anymore).

Inquired about the secured card when they called. I was told they pull EX and the card never graduates, but you're "eligible to apply for" one of their other cards after a year.

congrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I applied last night. This morning I get the email the decline is due to Chexsystems!!!!  I need to order a report anyway, including EWS, Clarity, and and Telecheck.