Please use the Feedback forum for questions about the upgrade.  We will get to them as quickly as possible.

scarchelli

Should I have my wife skip getting a secured card?

So basically, I'm wondering if she should bother applying for a disco secured card if she will maybe get approved for a toy limit on a reg disco or cap one.  Shes authorized on my cards and her ck scores are in the 740s.  I cant see score card for a fico since i keep getting security questions wrong, same with her.  Shes from Mexico, so no other credit here.  My reports are 100% clean.  Util is currently a bit high.  About 20%.

She has 4 open accounts on eq:

My disco

My citi

My qs

My bce

Tu for whatever reason doesnt show my citi dc for her yet it does for eq.  Her AAOOA per ck is 1.9 years tu and 1.5 eq.

Should she skip secured cards and go straight for unsecured cards?  Cap one pre qual says she could get a qs.  If unsecured cards are the way to go, maybe crap one is a bad idea?

Edit: one recurring security questions says "you may have opened a Citi card.  What year?"  It does list 2018 but I opened citi this year, not her.  Should i choose "does not apply"?

Edited by scarchelli

I applied on her behalf to discover and got approved for an it card for 1k.  I put unemployed too since she doesnt have a job.  I didn't realize banks would lend you money (albiet small amount) if you dont have an income to pay it back.  So now she has 3 of my cards (4 with citi) and 1 of hers.

Congrats to DW on the approval! My Discover also started at $1k. Did you include HHI on the app?

2 minutes ago, shifter said:

Bummer. Disco app was terrible advice. smh. 

What would your advice be? Keep in mind, not many options since shes not a US citizen nor employed.  Should I have apped a credit one for her??

No not Credit One. I was thinking Chase or Amex. Unemployed doesn't matter since everyone let's you use HHI which would be your income. 

The only advice you should take on this front is from Konrad and Mendelssohn. They both have foreign wives and built their credit very quickly from nothing. 

I would app Chase and/or Amex asap before that toy Disco balance reports. 

6 minutes ago, scarchelli said:

Whats hhi?

I thought i knew all my lingo :(

House Hold Income

3 minutes ago, shifter said:

No not Credit One. I was thinking Chase or Amex. Unemployed doesn't matter since everyone let's you use HHI which would be your income. 

The only advice you should take on this front is from Konrad and Mendelssohn. They both have foreign wives and built their credit very quickly from nothing. 

I would app Chase and/or Amex asap before that toy Disco balance reports. 

Thanks for sharing!

10 minutes ago, Kat58 said:

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for providing the opportunity. 

Okay thanks, but on an app for say amex, wont it just ask for employed or unemployeed? Not my employment?  My amex is 20k and has a 7k balance (0% for 7 more months) i also have 3 chase cards they closed randomly claiming my co from 2007 scared them.  I had 50k-ish on 3 cards.  Now have 5500 balance left on cfu which is 0% for now.  No missed payments for anything.

(I was just kidding about credit one lol)

Unemployment doesn't matter because separately they ask for income. And your history doesn't matter either as they will not weigh that in their decision. They will only look at her app and her credit report. 

I did not know that. So for employment do I put employed?  It asks "are you a US citizen?" And i put no.  She just filed for her green card this week.  She was on a student visa before.  Maybe Mendelssohn and/or Konrad can shed some light.

Whats hhi?

I thought i knew all my lingo
I would also consider a selflender.com account for her. I've recommended their service to several people and it works. It will add a bit of gerth to her report as well as 10 to 20 FICO point. Basically the account (savings account) shows up on her credit report as an installment loan.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, scarchelli said:

I did not know that. So for employment do I put employed?  It asks "are you a US citizen?" And i put no.  She just filed for her green card this week.  She was on a student visa before.  Maybe Mendelssohn and/or Konrad can shed some light.

Being employed isn't a requirement. There's lots of stay at home moms/dads. That's the reason they allow HHI to be included so as not to discriminate against them. 

I would answer the Citi card question w/ the same year that you added her as an AU.  Speaking of AUs, I would remove her from any accts that you're currently revolving a balance as those aren't helping her.

14 hours ago, nyquil556 said:

I would also consider a selflender.com account for her. I've recommended their service to several people and it works. It will add a bit of gerth to her report as well as 10 to 20 FICO point. Basically the account (savings account) shows up on her credit report as an installment loan.

I wouldn't go with Self Lender because of their interest rates, though the same thing can be accomplished with a CU - AKA the "Alliant Hack" to boost scores.

I wouldn't go with Self Lender because of their interest rates, though the same thing can be accomplished with a CU - AKA the "Alliant Hack" to boost scores.
I completely agree with you. However, for ease of use and keeping it simple I recommend selflender.com

7 hours ago, nyquil556 said:

I completely agree with you. However, for ease of use and keeping it simple I recommend selflender.com

I can't justify ease of use as being worth those rates, though, when a CU rate is 2% on share secured loans.  I looked into Self-Lender once upon a ways, and when I read the fine print, I grew angry at them for ripping people off trying to better their situations.  To use their 'service' you need to pay a minimum of $9....here's from their site, with the best I'm gonna try to explain it at work.

xYkpCDk.png

On 6/10/2018 at 11:38 AM, Konrad2012 said:

My wife's first CC with a 6 month old SSN and only AU's reporting was a $20K AMEX revolver.

With a clean report, a registering FICO and $120K reported income, I think Chase will give you a $20K limit as well.

On 6/14/2015 at 5:59 PM, nateinva said:

Looks like a good plan! Chase won't increase exposure for me beyond $8k yet.

You'll find this interesting (or not :lol:). I went ahead and got DW to do an app for my Freedom referral. In Virginia, Chase and Citi both like to double pull EQ and EX. I've been getting our approvals solely on EQ pulls with the BK showing.

Since EX suddenly decided to become clean yesterday I had her app the Freedom on an EX pull with EQ frozen. They didn't even hard pull her so they must really want EQ.

I wrote a letter and faxed it to EQ today with my sob story and they are the only CRA still reporting the BK. Who knows if it'll do any good....

On 6/14/2015 at 6:56 PM, mendelssohn said:

Oh. :(

My wife was denied for "too many new accounts," which are just a handful of AUs.

Was your wife an AU on the Chase