hegemony

U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve Visa Infinite Card??

This morning after going in ridiculous circles using US Bank's online help resources, which provide neither useful information for my problem nor a phone number to call for help, I fired up the Google Machine and found a login support number for US Bank.

When I called in, the automated system couldn't authenticate me with my card number and PIN, so I reached a human who verified everything manually. 

Unfortunately she couldn't help me, aside from assuring me that this wasn't something I had activated, but rather something they arbitrarily imposed upon me.  :lol: 

My I remind you that this number was for LOGIN SUPPORT?

From the sound of her voice, mine wasn't the only recent complaint. 

She then transferred me to someone else, who didn't know what two-factor authentication is.  :rofl:

First he had to re-validate my account number and personal info, even though I was aleady IDd and transferred over to him by his colleague in another department.

After I explained what 2FA is, he directed me to the login page.

From there, after entering your user ID and advancing to the next page, you can toggle back and forth between receiving text messages and answering "ID Shield Questions" (which is what was there before) by selecting "Change Authentication Method."

Obqkq0S.jpg

Good lord.  This problem took 30 seconds to solve.  Why couldn't the original agent who took my first call yesterday have answered that?

Edited by cv91915

7 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Why couldn't the original agent who took my first call yesterday have answered that?

Because of the Peter Principle.

Had she been competent she would have been promoted and replaced with a trainee.

17 minutes ago, Occam said:

Because of the Peter Principle.

Had she been competent she would have been promoted and replaced with a trainee.

She told me to look in the alert settings before transferring me into the abyss.  :lol: 

I was speaking to a US Bank CSR this summer who was located in Idaho.  We were discussing a minor issue unrelated to security.  When we finished the matter at hand and she was very competent a nice, I subsequently requested to add a password to my account due to identity theft issues.  She replied without hesitation in a brutally honest way that completely caught me off guard, stating "US Bank is not very sophisticated in regards to these matters and currently does not have the ability to add a password to your account sir" and I was like really, are you kidding me? No she was not kidding!

TPA-DFW and DFW-SAN on Friday both were equipped with Viasat. 

Opportunities to use the Gogo passes on AA are dwindling fast.  

On TPA-DFW I did New York Times crossword puzzles on my iPad, and on DFW-SAN I used a comped Viasat certificate I received from Viasat after the service was offline for almost half the flight the last time I purchased a flight pass.

[Side annoyance: it appears that Viasat isn't selling day passes.  It's either monthly or by the flight.  Gogo was $19 for 24 hours of access.  Viasat has been consistently $12 per flight.  Almost every trip I take requires a connection.]

It's been getting more and more difficult to use the Gogo passes on AA.  They've switched about 75% of their domestic aircraft (and counting) to Viasat.

FSD-PHX tonight is on American Eagle/Mesa Airlines, and this plane still has Gogo... so I'm using one pass now.

I have 9 out of the original 12 left.

Edited by cv91915

Posted (edited)

I downgraded my Sapphire Reserve and canceled my Amex Platinum.

This has become my main travel card for 4.5% back.

I'm also using this wherever possible when a merchant I frequent accepts Apple Pay... also for 4.5%.   Basically this means I'm using it regularly at the grocery store too.

Edited by cv91915

4 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I downgraded my Sapphire Reserve and canceled my Amex Platinum.

This has become my main travel card for 4.5% back.

Safe to assume that you depleted your bank of Chase UR points?

I opened a US Bank Cash + Visa so that I'd be eligible to apply for this card, should I choose to.  But I can't see that happening anytime soon.  (Bev and I have a prospective 2-year 4.5% cb free-for-all on all charges, via the combo of CSR and CFU ... assuming UR pts redeemed for travel rewards)

2 hours ago, hdporter said:

Safe to assume that you depleted your bank of Chase UR points?

I opened a US Bank Cash + Visa so that I'd be eligible to apply for this card, should I choose to.  But I can't see that happening anytime soon.  (Bev and I have a prospective 2-year 4.5% cb free-for-all on all charges, via the combo of CSR and CFU ... assuming UR pts redeemed for travel rewards)

I had very few URs left.  The remaining points are still sitting there since I still have two UR-earning cards (in the sock drawer).

I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that this 4-hour flight is equipped with Gogo (AA is almost entirely Viasat now).

After today I have 8 flight passes left to use before they expire in October.  Today's saved me $18.

I wasn't going to apply for another card until next year, but realizing that 9/10 purchases I make are mobile payments, this might be the card I should use. I just have to overlook the US Bank app....I'm not a fan.

10 hours ago, pronto said:

I wasn't going to apply for another card until next year, but realizing that 9/10 purchases I make are mobile payments, this might be the card I should use. I just have to overlook the US Bank app....I'm not a fan.

The only thing less important to me in a credit card than the app is the APR.

11 hours ago, cv91915 said:

The only thing less important to me in a credit card than the app is the APR.

Yeah, it's a pet peeve of mine. I know it doesn't affect my finances. However, I'm an app developer and whether I like an app or not is usually a deal breaker. I switched my credit union based party on the website and app.

18 hours ago, pronto said:

Yeah, it's a pet peeve of mine. I know it doesn't affect my finances. However, I'm an app developer and whether I like an app or not is usually a deal breaker. I switched my credit union based party on the website and app.

For the right rewards and benefits I would be willing to check my balance by banging out a line of text next to a DOS prompt.

Wow.

DFW is NOT a fun place to be tonight.  

Weather shut down the airport for a portion of the afternoon, and it's absolute mayhem.  The line for rebooking assistance in Terminal C was at least a block long.  

Fortunately my flight wasn't canceled...  finally departed two hours late.

Bonus:  WiFi provider on this ancient S80 pterodactyl is still Gogo.  Down to 7 flight passes.

I'd complain about this being the worst First Class seat I have ever encountered (3B/bulkhead) but that type of karma could cause us to get diverted to Abilene.  

Just left the ground on a flight from MUD-LAX...  another Gogo-equipped flight... so I just redeemed my 6th WiFi flight pass.

I'm using this card via Apple Pay at the grocery store (4.5% back) and paying for most of my travel (4.5% back) with it.

I also used this card/Apple Pay at Best Buy this month for 4.5% of ~$1,250 back on a new refrigerator.

This is among the most useful cards in my portfolio right now, but this is US Bank, which means there's probably a devastating devaluation right around the corner.

On 6/22/2019 at 12:41 AM, cv91915 said:

Just left the ground on a flight from MUD-LAX...  another Gogo-equipped flight... so I just redeemed my 6th WiFi flight pass.

I'm using this card via Apple Pay at the grocery store (4.5% back) and paying for most of my travel (4.5% back) with it.

I also used this card/Apple Pay at Best Buy this month for 4.5% of ~$1,250 back on a new refrigerator.

This is among the most useful cards in my portfolio right now, but this is US Bank, which means there's probably a devastating devaluation right around the corner.

Great deal! I'm waiting for my card in the mail. Hoping it will come quick. I'm traveling soon and will definitely make use of the travel and mobile category spending. My only wish is that Amazon would accept Apple Pay. But that's not gonna happen anytime soon. 😒

24 minutes ago, pronto said:

Great deal! I'm waiting for my card in the mail. Hoping it will come quick. I'm traveling soon and will definitely make use of the travel and mobile category spending. My only wish is that Amazon would accept Apple Pay. But that's not gonna happen anytime soon. 😒

Enjoy the card.  I am definitely keeping mine for a second year.

Unfortunately, the Gogo passes become worthless to me when AA finishes their switch to Viasat, so we will have to see what year 3 brings.