hegemony

U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve Visa Infinite Card??

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG 

Right after I posted that I grabbed the DSLR, and just as the I started climbing up the sycamore tree in the front yard to wait, the UPS truck showed up!!!!!

uHDtfGA.jpg

Here is a preview of the unboxing video I'm going to put on Youtube.

Spoiler alert...  The card is M E T A L , B A B Y ! ! !

vllNRFp.jpg?1

PrBoA59.jpg?1

qsH1uVU.jpg?1

I activated this offer last night, and the 500 points are in my rewards account this morning. 

I chose a category (car rentals) and a dollar threshold ($500) that isn't likely to trigger a text alert anytime soon, in case I forget to turn this off.  I don't redeem rewards impulsively.

VccBqOK.png

VHA52RY.png

Still trying to figure out all of the point values for the various redemption options.

Travel is $0.015/point as described in the Program Rules:

"When you redeem Points for travel (airlines, hotels and car rentals), each Point is worth $.015, which means that 30,000 Points equals $450.00 in redemption value."

The rules don't specify a fixed redemption value for the other redemption types offered in the program, but until shown otherwise I am assuming that the point values are atrocious and subject to constant devaluation.

Non-travel redemption types specified in the Program Rules include  "... Gift Certificate/Gift Card Rewards, Merchandise Rewards, Magazine Rewards, Event Ticket Rewards and any other Program Rewards.... the number of Points needed to obtain each reward are available to Cardmembers at the Rewards Center and by phone).

Edited by cv91915

3x on mobile payments!

But not before you call US Bank so they can allow the card to work with Apple Pay.  🤷‍♀️

EZgHmDl.png

Edited by cv91915

3x on mobile payments!

But not before you call US Bank so they can allow the card to work with Apple Pay.  🤷‍♀️

EZgHmDl.png

This is not specific to US Bank cards. All issuers and mobile payment methods require activation. Some issuers have only phone activation others have phone, text message, etc.

2 hours ago, credit_help said:

This is not specific to US Bank cards. All issuers and mobile payment methods require activation. Some issuers have only phone activation others have phone, text message, etc.

Calling and talking to a human being to use a card with a mobile payment app is silly, no matter whose card it is.  

Text/email?  Ok.  

Phone?  :warning:

Calling and talking to a human being to use a card with a mobile payment app is silly, no matter whose card it is.  

Text/email?  Ok.  

Phone?  :warning:

I just added Amex BCP to my Google Pay on my new phone. Verification was by text or email. It even filled the verification code automatically.

I guess issuers who use phone call could automate the activation by phone without needing to talk to anyone.

On 10/3/2018 at 5:02 PM, cv91915 said:

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG 

Right after I posted that I grabbed the DSLR, and just as the I started climbing up the sycamore tree in the front yard to wait, the UPS truck showed up!!!!!

uHDtfGA.jpg

Here is a preview of the unboxing video I'm going to put on Youtube.

Spoiler alert...  The card is M E T A L , B A B Y ! ! !

vllNRFp.jpg?1

PrBoA59.jpg?1

qsH1uVU.jpg?1

Dude, packing, express delivery, and METAL I'm in....What are the benefits to me ah who cares..

Time to spend some time learning about the card benefits.

US Bank likes to take you outside of usbank.com for everything except functions directly related to managing your credit account. 

It's odd to me that when you authenticate on usbank.com and then access another of the bank's linked sites, the linked site has no idea who you are and you have to authenticate again, using completely different info.  

The same process is required when you want to register for the quarterly 5%/2% categories for the Cash+ card.

Tq5cH3b.png

The first "benefit" is sketchy.  

You can use 35,000 points (worth 35,000 x $0.015 = $525) to pay the $400 annual fee, a self-induced devaluation that makes the points worth 24% less.

r6Fv4wY.png

This benefit has $120 in value to me.

1vFTWOC.png

Current Gogo pricing on AA flights is:

$49.95 monthly (1 device)

$59.95 monthly (2 devices)

$19.00 for a day pass (unlimited flights in a 24 hour period)

$10.00 for a single flight (most common price on the routes I fly, but variable)

I purchase the monthly pass for one device any time I travel more than three days in a 30-day period, otherwise I generally buy day passes.

Throughout the year I have itineraries where there is one long flight and one very short flight (often on a regional jet). 

It doesn't always make sense to buy a day pass on itineraries like this, so I'll use the complimentary flight passes on the longer segment, and then go without wifi on the short segment (voluntarily or because it's not available).

Example:

SAN-ORD-MLI

I would skip buying a day pass on this trip and use a complimentary single-flight pass for SAN-ORD

ORD-MLI either won't have wifi or is short enough where I really don't care if I can get online.

Edited by cv91915

The 12 Gogo flight passes expire 12 months from the benefit activation date.

As such, it makes no sense to activate this until the first day I want to use one of the passes.

ChRGbfh.jpg

I've updated my travel calendar with reminders on upcoming travel days to decide how I'm going to procure wifi access for that day.

Right now a likely candidate for activation is 10/13, which will take me from MUD-PHX-SAN. 

The PHX-SAN flight is only above 10,000 feet (this is when wifi is available) for ~30 minutes, so I could easily forego wifi and spend that time with my nose in the New York Times Crossword app on my iPad (no connectivity required). 

I'm also slogging my way through David Sedaris' Theft by Finding in the Kindle app, but while enjoyable, I can't spend more than 15 minutes at a time with this particular book.

Edited by cv91915

#$%&^%^

I activated the complimentary Gogo flight passes right before I boarded my ORD-SAN flight, starting the 12-month expiration clock.

Gogo isn't the wifi provider on this flight.

WTF?  I've never seen a provider other than Gogo on a domestic AA flight (and I'm currently on my 73rd AA segment this year).

There is a way to log into Gogo and use your monthly subscription, but I couldn't log into Gogo to access flight or day passes.

So I bought a $16 flight pass.  

D4H4wSA.jpg

I just ran into the same surprise.  American PIT-DFW and DFW-LAS both had Viasat as their provider instead of Gogo, and I had never seen that before.  The service was a little faster but still just as unreliable.

12 hours ago, nemo said:

I just ran into the same surprise.  American PIT-DFW and DFW-LAS both had Viasat as their provider instead of Gogo, and I had never seen that before.  The service was a little faster but still just as unreliable.

Seemed faster to me too, but now I have all of these Gogo passes.  😛 

According to this, the conversion to Viasat by AA is supposed to be complete by the middle of 2019.  

Looks like my plans have changed.  I need to burn all of these Gogo passes ASAP while they can still be used on AA.  

If these become worthless and aren't replaced by some other benefit I won't be able to justify the AF on the Altitude card in year two/beyond.

Do the travel credits cancel out the amount of the corresponding purchases when calculating spending for the SUB?  I know the AF doesn't count toward spending...

The original plan was to pay property taxes with the Altitude card and pick up the SUB that way, but I'm past the required spending amount without doing that.  

I'm almost done with the Amex Gold spending also.  I'm using TAD's new TYP and the Plastiq offer (net 50% off fees through 10/31, targeted) to make an extra principal payment on our mortgage.  That'll kill the SUB for that one. 

Looks like it's time to pick up a Falgship (stop me if you know of a current SUB > $500 that doesn't involve a disposable CU card) for the property tax payment in December, then I need 1-3 more new cards with SUBs before the end of the year.   

Edited by cv91915

If the Priority Pass benefit is important to you, make sure you're aware that the benefit on this card isn't good for unlimited visits like it is with some other premium credit cards, and opting in for the Priority Pass benefit at www.usbankaltitude.com is required.  

Upon activation you get a temporary membership card that you can print, and you can access most PP lounges by signing into the Priority Pass app on your mobile device and displaying your electronic membership info at the reception desk. 

Some lounges require either the temporary card or the permanent plastic card you receive in the mail.

With the Altitude Reserve you get 4 visits per year for you, and up to four guest per year.  Additional visits/guests get billed automatically to the card at $27 each (additional visits and guests).

4bbzZOX.png

I get very little use out of Priority Pass relative to the amount I travel, but if you are a frequent traveler AND have a participating lounge/restaurant in your home airport AND the lounge/restaurant is in the terminal from which you depart most frequently, you will likely get more benefit than I do. 

With that said, I believe that most people dramatically overestimate how much they will use the Priority Pass benefit.

Why?  Well...

Here are my 2018 YTD travel and Priority Pass usage stats:

Miles flown:              78,582

Segments flown:      77

Unique airports:       21 airports in 14 states, and in 3 countries (including USA)

Priority Pass visits:   3*

* I had convenient access to Priority Pass lounges a total of 6 times YTD, however in 3 of those cases I accessed more convenient/better lounge options through other means.  2018 Priority Pass memberships were through other cards.

Ongoing detail of my lounge usage is chronicled in my Chase Sapphire Reserve thread.

Edited by cv91915

On 10/13/2018 at 10:26 AM, cv91915 said:

#$%&^%^

I activated the complimentary Gogo flight passes right before I boarded my ORD-SAN flight, starting the 12-month expiration clock.

Gogo isn't the wifi provider on this flight.

WTF?  I've never seen a provider other than Gogo on a domestic AA flight (and I'm currently on my 73rd AA segment this year).

There is a way to log into Gogo and use your monthly subscription, but I couldn't log into Gogo to access flight or day passes.

So I bought a $16 flight pass.  

On 10/21/2018 at 5:18 PM, nemo said:

On 10/25/2018 at 11:31 AM, cv91915 said:

SAN-ORD this morning had Gogo.  Used my first wifi pass.

SAN-ORD is Viasat again.  🥀

And I was #1 on the upgrade list but the upgrade didn't clear.  🐁  

So here I am in 15C using my $16 Internet connection.

On 12/27/2018 at 12:40 PM, cv91915 said:

SAN-ORD is Viasat again.  🥀

And I was #1 on the upgrade list but the upgrade didn't clear.  🐁  

So here I am in 15C using my $16 Internet connection.

Internet connection didn't work for approximately the middle 1/3 of this flight.  

I contacted Viasat this morning for a partial refund, but they preferred to comp me a flight pass for a future flight.  

Works for me.

Remind me who AA's wifi provider is on international flights.  I have Dallas-Hong Kong coming up in February, which would be the highest and best use of this comp if Viasat provides service.

US Bank activated two-factor authentication on my account without asking/prompting me.

I now have to receive a text message and enter a security code every time I log in to usbank.com.

That doesn't work very well for someone who spent more than four standard US work weeks in flight in 2018, and this is supposed to be a premium travel card.

I couldn't figure out  how to switch to the email 2FA option, so I called the number on the back of the Altitude Reserve card for help.  The agent who answered didn't know where to locate the setting either, but she transferred me over to Web Support for assistance.

After being transferred I had to re-authenticate using their automated system, and then the recorded greeting announced that it would be 15-30 minutes before someone would be on the line to help.

They can FOAD if they think I'm waiting that long for assistance with a problem they created.

Details like this are what separate premium cards from the poseurs.  

2 hours ago, cv91915 said:

US Bank activated two-factor authentication on my account without asking/prompting me.

I now have to receive a text message and enter a security code every time I log in to usbank.com.

That doesn't work very well for someone who spent more than four standard US work weeks in flight in 2018, and this is supposed to be a premium travel card.

I hate banks' security attitudes with a passion.  Wells Fargo did the same thing to me, leaving me unable to access my account while I was in Russia, where my phone didn't work.  When I got back home and tried to add an e-mail option, they were surly about it and said they would never allow that.

Capital One normally has an e-mail option, but dropped it for one critical authentication while I was traveling and didn't have access to a phone.  The e-mail option has since reappeared for me.  The only time they don't have it is when I really need it!

The other day, a credit union tried to pull this nonsense and I decided to cancel my account there.  Sooner or later, I'm going to start canceling my accounts at the majors too if they don't wake up.

1 hour ago, nemo said:

I hate banks' security attitudes with a passion.  Wells Fargo did the same thing to me, leaving me unable to access my account while I was in Russia, where my phone didn't work.  When I got back home and tried to add an e-mail option, they were surly about it and said they would never allow that.

Capital One normally has an e-mail option, but dropped it for one critical authentication while I was traveling and didn't have access to a phone.  The e-mail option has since reappeared for me.  The only time they don't have it is when I really need it!

The other day, a credit union tried to pull this nonsense and I decided to cancel my account there.  Sooner or later, I'm going to start canceling my accounts at the majors too if they don't wake up.

Definitley aggravating.

I am going to Hong Kong in February, and this card won't be going along.

It it also may not get renewed.  

I am paying $2,700 a year in annual fees across all of my cards.  I don't think any of the other issuers would put me on hold for 30 minutes to resolve a simple problem.

Good for you for canceling.