Current List of Annual Fee Cards in My Portfolio (Post Yours)

8 hours ago, hdporter said:

Guess Tad is a real slacker on the AA front.  If he could boost to Plat Pro, you'd save a bundle on the upgrade certs!   ;)

That's ok.  Bev fell to Plat beginning with '19 (ending her free upgrades).  Fortunately I had a bank of 60+ certs in hand accumulated before I hit Plat Exec in '17.  Her limited travel beginning mid-'19 and covid in '20 still leaves me with 27 still banked.

He doesn't fly much, and has pretty low expectations for travel.  I've only recently convinced him to buy Premium Economy when he goes to Turkey, and he refuses to admit that he likes it better.  :lol: 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

People who don't do math complain about the unfairness of overdraft fees and sink thousands in negative equity into 84-month car loans.     I'm quite okay on the other side of that line.

Don't. Just don't. Annual Fees still stink no matter how fresh the rewards.   Peanut Gallery: Don't give me a bunch of carp about doing math.

That's the only AF card I have. With traveling a thing of the past, Platinum was transmutated into Gold. As I get older, it may revert full circle to Green. 

12 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

My List of Annual Fee Cards for 2021 .......

Same as last year, the year before, the year before that, etc.

No one ever accused you of being a math major.  😛 

9 hours ago, Krish said:

I might be leaving a lot on the table but I have 0 cards with annual fee and would like to keep it that way until Covid is complete gone (could only happen in my dreams)

I feel like there should be a punch line coming.

Q:  "What do annual fees and viruses have in common?"

A: "___________________________"

And then we'd all :rofl: .

I picked up another Altitude Reserve for TAD in December, so my updated list is below.

I also corrected the Aviator Silver AF from $195 to $199.

Current total: $2,284  $1,880 

American Express Platinum ($550)

• 25,000-MR upgrade bonus + $200 Uber credits + $100 Saks credits will cover the AF
  • $200 airline incidental credit (more limited usage opportunities than before, but still full value)
  • $30 monthly PayPal credits (Jan-Jun 2021)
  • Airspace Lounge access ($10 per person food/bev credit per visit, 12+ visits a year)
  • Amex spending offers
  • D* 1995

Citi AAdvantage Executive ($450)

• Admirals Club access (self + 3 AUs)

US Bank Altitude Reserve ($400) - Mine

• $325 travel credit per membership year
  • 4.5% back (3x) on mobile payment purchases
  • 4.5% back (3x) on travel purchases
  • 10,000-point retention bonus more than covers the $75 OOP cost for the card this year
  • More

US Bank Altitude Reserve ($400) - TAD's

• 50,000-point SUB (worth $750 in travel, which for me has been ongoing)
  • Same benefits as above

Barclays Aviator Silver ($199 $195)

American Express Blue Cash Preferred ($95)

• Upgrade offer: $150 statement credit for spending $1,000 in 3 months
  • 6% back at grocery stores

American Express Vonboy ($95)

• "Free" night up to 35,000 points
  • SPG Gold/Marriott Gold
  • Amex spending offers
  • D* 1995

Chase Marriott Premier Plus - Spouse's ($95 - upgraded from legacy card below)

• 50,000 point upgrade offer from legacy card (worth ~$400-500)
  • 6x on Marriott spending (old card was 5x)
  • 2x on general spending (old card was 1x)
  • "Free" anniversary night up to 35,000 points (old card was 25,000)
  • Elite benefits (Silver/path to Gold)
  • 4 weeks later...

A year ago Amex gave me a $250 bonus to upgrade BCE -> BCP.  

With constant spending over the next 12 months compared to the previous 12, I would expect a net 3.4% return on groceries after paying the AF, and I have at least two other better options.

As such, I downgraded the BCP back to a BCE, and I'll redirect grocery spending effective immediately.

Current total: $2,189 $2,284 

• 25,000-MR upgrade bonus + $200 Uber credits + $100 Saks credits will cover the AF
  • $200 airline incidental credit (more limited usage opportunities than before, but still full value)
  • Airspace Lounge access ($10 per person food/bev credit per visit, 12+ visits a year)
  • Amex spending offers
  • D* 1995

US Bank Altitude Reserve ($400) - Mine

• 10,000-point retention bonus more than covers the $75 OOP cost for the card this year
  • More

US Bank Altitude Reserve ($400) - TAD's

• 50,000-point SUB (worth $750 in travel, which for me has been ongoing)
  • Same benefits as above

Barclays Aviator Silver ($199 $195)

American Express Blue Cash Preferred ($95)

• Upgrade offer: $150 statement credit for spending $1,000 in 3 months
  • 6% back at grocery stores

• SPG Gold/Marriott Gold
  • Amex spending offers
  • D* 1995

• 3 weeks later...

On Monday when I left San Diego I was paged at the boarding gate, which was unusual since my upgrade had been processed electronically a couple of days earlier.

When I got to the counter I recognized one of the AAgents from the SAN Admirals Club as the one who paged me.  She informed me that AA has decided to "de-lounge" SAN and they're parting ways with Airspace Lounge (AA was subleasing space for its customer service agents inside Airspace).  The Airspace Lounge is supposedly remaining open.

Of my 62 flight segments in 2020, 15 of them departed from SAN, so it looks like I'll keep the Platinum for at least as long as it provides the only lounge option when I fly AA from one of my most-used airports.  

Airspace does sell single-visit passes, and I can always evaluate if that's a better option at the end of my current/already paid Platinum membership year.  Right now the day passes are discounted, which I expect to be reversed as passenger volume continues to increase.

Most of all I will miss the people that AA had in the Airspace Lounge.  Their efficiency and friendly demeanor was woven into the fabric that's been my travel routine/experience for the past 7 years.  

On 12/12/2020 at 5:03 AM, cv91915 said:

I also recently upgraded my Amex Greenie to a Platinum.  With the 25,000-MR upgrade offer it will be easier to recoup the AF on the Platinum than the Greenie, and this account is *D 1995 so I don't want to close it.

On 12/12/2020 at 5:03 AM, cv91915 said:

I managed to claw back the entire $550 AF on the Platinum in the first ~3 weeks, without considering the value of the meal (for two) we had at the DFW Centurion Lounge during a long layover on Thanksgiving weekend.

I didn't ascribe any incremental value to the two lounge visits (SAN Airspace Lounge and DFW Centurion Lounge) for two people that day, because we would have been just as content using my Admirals Club membership (same lounge at SAN, different at DFW), which we're paying for anyway with the Citi AA Executive card.  

I did count the two $10 food and beverage credit vouchers (one per person) we received and used at the SAN Airspace lounge, because that's a benefit which is exclusive to the Platinum card.  

I used a value of $0.01/MR for the upgrade bonus because I do not use MRs optimally.  These points have a lot more potential if you use them differently.

KU2LWBL.png 

• 1 month later...

Between my Amex Vonboy and TAD's Chase Vonboy, we have so many "free" night certificates stacked up (thanks to expiration date extensions) that it makes no sense to pay $95 to keep his Chase card open for another year.

Plus they cut his limit to $30,900 (-50%), so 🖕 .

Current total: $2,094 $2189 

• Amex spending offers
  • D* 1995

US Bank Altitude Reserve ($400) - Mine

• More

US Bank Altitude Reserve ($400) - TAD's

• 50,000-point SUB (worth $750 in travel, which for me has been ongoing)
  • Same benefits as above

Barclays Aviator Silver ($199)

• SPG Gold/Marriott Gold
  • Amex spending offers
  • D* 1995

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, althes said:

DId Chase give a reason for cutting the limit.

I don't recall what the letter said, but from the timing of similar reports it was general pandemic jitters.

Admittedly we used almost none of the line, but Chase is the only issuer that did a hatchet job on our limits.

We also have a much-larger-than-average HELOC with them (perpetual $0 balance), and I have two Chase cards with limits totaling ~$90,000 that don't get used very much.

Perhaps those were factors.  

Edited by cv91915