Sign in to follow this  
hits

How To Get Rid Of 24 Year Old Collection Agency?

Looking for a suggestion on how to get rid of this junk debt buyer/collection agency. They are apparently called DeKalb County Solutions, and they called me out of the blue trying to get me to pay a debt that they say is from about 1994. I had answered the phone because no creditors have my number. They told me they got my number from a creditor on my credit report. And said it's a service they pay to the CRAs.

They were trying to get me to agree to a payment arrangement. I told them to pound sand. So they sent a letter in the mail basically trying the same thing. That was last week.

Today, they left a message on my work phone!!! What the hell???

Of course they are not on my credit reports or anything, so what is the best way to get rid of them and have them quit calling me? They can't be sued or anything?

Did the letter they sent you say anything about them not being able to force you to pay due to the age of the debt?

First question is WHAT the debt is associated with. Some, such as taxes or student loans may not have the standard timelines associated with them like exist when someone walks consumer debt,

You indicate that you HAVE a letter from them now, so it will identify the matter.

Secondly, ensure that you send some manner of a written response, even if it is just a place-holder letter seeking validation of the matter and disputing the claim. The failure to dispute in a timely manner is what screws more people than just about anything else.

Third, be aware that there is a class-action suit filed earlier this year. It was filed in KY, but there could be others or it could be expanded. Depending on how closely your situation mirrors the suit, it may be worth a call to counsel for the Plaintiff in that case. https://www.classaction.org/news/class-action-claims-dekalb-county-solutions-tried-to-collect-on-time-barred-debt

Did the letter they sent you say anything about them not being able to force you to pay due to the age of the debt?

Yes, the letter did have that ON THE BACK of the letter. Specifically, it says:

Because of the age of this debt, we will not sue you for it, and we will not report it to any credit reporting agency. However, the law does not eliminate this debt obligation and allows us to seek payment for your debt obligation. Providing partial payment may revive the creditors ability to sue to collect the balance.

First question is WHAT the debt is associated with. Some, such as taxes or student loans may not have the standard timelines associated with them like exist when someone walks consumer debt,

You indicate that you HAVE a letter from them now, so it will identify the matter.

Secondly, ensure that you send some manner of a written response, even if it is just a place-holder letter seeking validation of the matter and disputing the claim. The failure to dispute in a timely manner is what screws more people than just about anything else.

Third, be aware that there is a class-action suit filed earlier this year. It was filed in KY, but there could be others or it could be expanded. Depending on how closely your situation mirrors the suit, it may be worth a call to counsel for the Plaintiff in that case. https://www.classaction.org/news/class-action-claims-dekalb-county-solutions-tried-to-collect-on-time-barred-debt

It says its from a Sears credit card.

Yup, FOAD and make sure you state they may NOT contact you over the phone at home or at your business. Send right away CM.

Adding to the others, and given the additional information, this calls for a simple FOAD that also includes language about the dispute (which helps solidify the case if they got stupid and tried to add it to the report).

I still believe it would be worth your while to see if there is a Sears class in the various class-actions filed against that company. The counsel in the Kentucky case might be able to give you some guidance if they are not involved in a Sears class. And if you WERE in Kentucky, then they might be willing to file a new action with you as a lead plaintiff (which means slightly more on the payout at the back-end than just being a regular member of the class).

FOAD letter.

Any sample FOAD letter exist? Ive never had to send one to any company, but sure would enjoy it!