cv91915

PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa: 5 Years Later and Still Not Enough Points for Hand Puppets

Approved in May 2013, points devalued soon after. 702 points earned so far.

nHlntTr.png

8biqXGg.png

nHlntTr.png

8biqXGg.png

But you do have enough for this puppet :grin:

IT6mZaX.jpg

BONUS: I'm never going to reach the hand puppet rewards threshold if my devalued points are on a rolling expiration schedule.

So good to know that when you belong to a credit union you aren't just a customer, you're an owner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fEFptdR.png

I may be soon be purchasing an extended warranty for the car I keep in California.

PenFed sells one that looks pretty good, but the only forms of payment they accept are cash transferred into my PenFed account, or a PenFed credit card.  

The bright side is that I could be 1,499 points closer to some hand puppets.

Edited by cv91915

5 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I may be soon be purchasing an extended warranty for the car I keep in California.

PenFed sells one that looks pretty good, but the only forms of payment they accept are cash transferred into my PenFed account, or a PenFed credit card.  

In related news I contacted the warranty company (www.route66warranty.com) and asked for a referral to a local financial institution that sells their products.  I'm fine with the $1,500 that PenFed wants (this will be a money loser for the warranty company after one repair at the dealer), but I wanted to pay with a different card.

The warranty company has one outlet in San Diego:  San Diego County Credit Union.  I called and spent 22 minutes on the phone with a frontline rep who was completely useless.  When he ran out of ways of making up answers to basic questions like "how much time and mileage is included and what does it cost" he kept offering to help me join. 

Finally he figured out where to transfer my call when I wouldn't give up.

The coverage was more expensive and offered less coverage than PenFed's offerings from the same warranty company, and SDCCU only accepts cash and debit cards for payment.

Technically they will accept a credit card, but they can only process the purchase as a cash advance.  :swoon: 

I've had my PenFed card longer than yours, and have 270 points. Not even enough for one used condom. :(

All my fault. I concentrate my spending on an airline miles card. I've done ok there.

On 9/12/2018 at 3:47 PM, Burgerwars said:

I've had my PenFed card longer than yours, and have 270 points. Not even enough for one used condom. :(

All my fault. I concentrate my spending on an airline miles card. I've done ok there.

I am curious how you know the cost for said item...have you tried to buy one recently, either with cash or points?

Nevermind, maybe I don't want to know...

On 9/11/2018 at 1:38 PM, cv91915 said:

I purchased the warranty from PenFed on Friday. 

As it turns out, even if I had paid with a PenFed credit card the transaction would have been treated as a cash advance.  :lol:  

So I ended up just ACHing money into my savings account for payment, and now I will never get those hand puppets.  :( 

On 9/17/2018 at 7:29 PM, cv91915 said:

As it turns out, even if I had paid with a PenFed credit card the transaction would have been treated as a cash advance.  :lol:  

So I ended up just ACHing money into my savings account for payment, and now I will never get those hand puppets.  :( 

8 days later and they still haven't taken the money out of my savings account.  

On 9/11/2018 at 4:38 PM, cv91915 said:

On 9/25/2018 at 5:50 AM, cv91915 said:

8 days later and they still haven't taken the money out of my savings account.  

PenFed took the money from my savings account the day after I posted this.

To date the policy documents that were supposed to arrive by US Mail within two weeks of my purchase are nowhere to be found.

I called last week to inquire, and the agent told me that I wouldn't be receiving anything by mail, but rather by email. 

She advised that I should check my spam folder, and if the email isn't there I should call back.  I was juggling a work call at the same time and couldn't check immediately, so I thanked her and hung up.

As of this morning, still no email with coverage details (spam folder or otherwise).

So I just called again.  This time the agent told me that I should expect the package by US Mail.  I asked her to confirm the address to which the package would have been mailed, since we have two homes and I've been at the Mud Hut for the past couple of weeks.

This opened up a can of worms.  She wanted to know when I moved.  I explained that I hadn't.  Then she wanted to know when  I changed the address on my account.  "Three years ago," I explained.

The conversation went back and forth like this for another couple of minutes.

I eventually had the opportunity to tell her that the previous agent advised that I should expect an email with coverage details, not a package via US Mail as she had just told me. 

She put me on hold to "check with that department."

After a short hold she came back and said that email was the delivery method I should expect.  She then confirmed my email address and told me that they would re-send the message and to call back if I haven't received the email in 24-48 hours.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTOLLTja-Ag496PZEp9E33

This warrants its own thread if it's not resolved by Wednesday, as the most recent agent suggested.

I recently received a "spend $500/get $25 back" offer on my PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa.  

I hit the spending threshold on the last statement cycle, and my purchases included a handful of transactions one of the lucrative bonus categories.

I'm now sitting on a mountain of nearly 1,500 points.  After just over five years I'm 37% of the way to hand puppets! :clapping:

PenFed took 12 days to deduct the cost of the policy from my savings account.

I was told it would take 1-2 weeks to receive the warranty info in the mail.

After two weeks I called and was told that the info will arrive by email, and that I should check my spam folder and call back if I hadn't received the welcome email from the warranty company within 48 hours.

No email arrived, so I called again.  This time I was told the package would arrive via USPS, and it should arrive any day.

No package arrived, so I called back again yesterday.  They're saying email again.  This time I had a supervisor call the warranty company, and they confirmed that they have my info but they are behind processing applications.  I should receive an email by the end of October.

!!!!!!I LOVE MY CREDIT UNION!!!!!!

Got this from PenFed today.  There must have been an illicit run on hand puppet redemptions from this extraordinary rewards program.

We are writing to let you know about an update that we have made to our Reward program rules, terms and conditions and wanted to share the details with you. 

What you need to know 

On November 1, 2018, the following important change will be effective for all PenFed reward credit card accounts. For your convenience, please review the summary below.

A new section has been added to the Reward program rules, terms and conditions named Account Abuse/Misuse and Fraud. This new section states as follows:

We may begin an investigation if evidence of account abuse/misuse or fraud is seen. Some examples of abuse/misuse and fraud include:

• Using your Account in an abusive manner for the primary purpose of acquiring Points
  • Using your Account other than primarily for personal, consumer or household purposes
  • Point redemptions that you didn't authorize

The foregoing examples of abuse/misuse and fraud are not exhaustive, and we maintain the right to investigate in the event we become aware of any other suspicious activity on or pertaining to the account.

If we see evidence of misuse/abuse or fraudulent activity, we may investigate or take any other action we deem appropriate including, without limitation, removing the Points you earned through abuse/misuse and/or fraud and suspending or closing your Account. If we determine that you perpetrated any account misuse/abuse or fraud, we may take actions against you. These actions may include, without limitation:

• Taking away the Points you earned through abuse/misuse and/or fraud
  • Stopping you from earning Points
  • Suspending or closing your Account
  • Taking legal action to recover Points redeemed because of such activity and to recover our monetary losses, including litigation costs and damages

On 10/13/2018 at 8:26 AM, cv91915 said:

PenFed took 12 days to deduct the cost of the policy from my savings account.

I was told it would take 1-2 weeks to receive the warranty info in the mail.

After two weeks I called and was told that the info will arrive by email, and that I should check my spam folder and call back if I hadn't received the welcome email from the warranty company within 48 hours.

No email arrived, so I called again.  This time I was told the package would arrive via USPS, and it should arrive any day.

No package arrived, so I called back again yesterday.  They're saying email again.  This time I had a supervisor call the warranty company, and they confirmed that they have my info but they are behind processing applications.  I should receive an email by the end of October.

!!!!!!I LOVE MY CREDIT UNION!!!!!!

*** NEW STORY FROM PENFED ON WHY I DON'T HAVE THE POLICY (is anyone counting? is this the fifth story?) ***

I called in because I did not receive the policy information by the end of October as promised.

The agent who answered told me that the notes on my account said 11/3 (which is a Saturday), not 10/31.

He told me to wait four more days and call back.  :rofl:  

Then he wanted to give me the warranty company's number and so I could start bugging them myself.

WRONG ANSWER.  I bought the policy from PenFed.

After getting sh!tty with him and refusing to call their vendor myself, the agent finally relented and called the warranty company.

I'm on hold now.

defaultLuvMyCreditUnion-600x300.jpg

I'M NOT JUST A CUSTOMER, I'M AN OWNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by cv91915

Policy arrived by email about 5 minutes after I hung up. 

It's pretty sad that it takes four polite calls and one not-so-polite one over 50 days to get this sucky company to deliver what I purchased from them. 

To recap:

1 - 9/14:  "It'll arrive by mail in 2-3 weeks."

2 - "It's coming by email.  Have you checked your spam folder?"

3 - "It's actually coming by mail."

4 - "It's arriving by email by the end of October."

5 - "It will arrive by email no later than 11/3. Call us back if you don't have it by then."

6 - "They're sending it today [11/1]."

After 4 years I used my card with the promotion they sent me. Use the card in oct to spend 500 and $25 will be credited to the account. Used it and saw the credit posted to the account.

Now this will go back to the sock drawer..

On 6/26/2018 at 11:01 AM, cv91915 said:

nHlntTr.png

8biqXGg.png

W****t has Melissa & Doug hand puppets starting at $12.77.

bwrn9u1.jpg

Alternately, you can put $3,990 in general spending on the PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa and get a set for free.

This works out to nearly 1/3 of a cent per point. 

23 minutes ago, shadekitty said:

Y'all aren't giving me any hope when my CU converts to Penfed at the end of the month... 

Keep in mind that many of us who are currently sanctimonious about these things haven't always had an infinite number of better options like we do today.

Generally speaking, credit products from credit unions are fine for the times when you don't have any appealing choices, and years later they're a great reminder of how bad things used to be.  

Some people forget to move on.  Don't be one of those people.

Edited by cv91915

I just got the packet in the mail today for the conversion. Just the bank accounts are converting, so folks who have the crappy CU credit card (serviced by a 3rd party company) don't get a  PenFed card automatically :) 

So far I'm not missing out on much. 

On 11/5/2018 at 9:37 AM, shadekitty said:

I just got the packet in the mail today for the conversion. Just the bank accounts are converting, so folks who have the crappy CU credit card (serviced by a 3rd party company) don't get a  PenFed card automatically :) 

So far I'm not missing out on much. 

Any word on your prospect for picking up some hand puppets?

Every year or so I look and see if there are points on all my cards/hotels/airfare etc to get amazon cards. Somehow, PenFed had me at a $25.00 dollar level for amazon.

All I can say is "Cha Ching". I truly have no idea when I have bought anything other than the sock drawer tank of gas now and then.