creditrepairguy

Getting rid of a Debt Collector calling on behalf of a relative

Hi, I really need to get rid of this debt collector that's been calling on behalf of deceased family member. They call and leave messages saying they are going to send a courier to deliver a letter at his place of employment and he needs a witness such as HR or supervisor when he signs it.. blah blah. The family member died recently, so the calls can be jarring. I am not responsible for the debt and have told them previously to remove my number from their list. They have told me their company name both is "Cohen and Shapiro" and "Processing and Receivables" at different times. Both may be fake. I tried to get an actual address to mail a letter to but they hung up when I asked. I am thinking about telling them I'm willing to pay the debt so I can at least get a mailing address to send them a letter. Are there any other/better options?

Thanks

Edited by creditrepairguy

Give them the name for the executor of the Estate. Probate is not required to have had someone designated as the independent executor (or executrix) of the estate. Hopefully the required notices were placed in the paper giving the notice required under many jurisdictional Probate provisions...that will be the added safety valve.

Or, if you really want to jack with them...give them the address to the cemetery and advise that the groundskeeper will be available to point them in the right direction.

First you have to find out exactly who is calling and where they are. They are allowed ONE call to a relative for location information. If you can find them sue them for the FDCPA violation. See section 804.

Probably just a scam. Block their number.

+1

It's a scam. I would not waste any time trying to report them or do anything.

FWIW these types of scammers get more aggressive when you engage them. The best way to get them to stop is to ignore them completely, not through engaging them in any way. Trying to report them or file a lawsuit is a waste of time since they are usually untrackable.

First you have to find out exactly who is calling and where they are. They are allowed ONE call to a relative for location information. If you can find them sue them for the FDCPA violation. See section 804.

It is usually impossible to track down a scammer, so that's a waste of time.

Give them the name for the executor of the Estate. Probate is not required to have had someone designated as the independent executor (or executrix) of the estate. Hopefully the required notices were placed in the paper giving the notice required under many jurisdictional Probate provisions...that will be the added safety valve.

Or, if you really want to jack with them...give them the address to the cemetery and advise that the groundskeeper will be available to point them in the right direction.

That would only ramp up their scamming efforts.

I disagree, but then my sample size of serving as Executrix consisted of two persons who never had defaulted debt and the only thing lingering had been the few insurance bills not covered by insurance. After the initial communication, the third-party was never heard from again, by phone or in writing.

I disagree, but then my sample size of serving as Executrix consisted of two persons who never had defaulted debt and the only thing lingering had been the few insurance bills not covered by insurance. After the initial communication, the third-party was never heard from again, by phone or in writing.

I have been harassed by scammers like this before several times. It almost always ramps up their collection efforts if you engage them. There is no reason to engage an untrackable scammer anyway.

I have been harassed by scammers like this before several times. It almost always ramps up their collection efforts if you engage them. There is no reason to engage an untrackable scammer anyway.

ANY estate issue should ALWAYS be directed to the Executor/Executrix. That is what they are being tasked with handling...estate issues. Further, once the salamander has been pointed to the person handling the estate, then it ALSO becomes a matter ripe for sanctions in Probate Court in the event that there were ANY future calls from the entity. Far easier to point to the right party than it is to engage in the playing of nonsensical games...

The person who could bring suit is no longer of this earth...

This isnt an estate issue. Its a scam.

Yes, actually it is based upon the OP's assertion that they are looking for a DECEASED family member.

If a legitimate business is owed money, they will gladly provide their mailing and physical address, as well as their verifiable telephone number. Anyone who hangs up when you ask for this information is a criminal scammer surfing the obituaries or Legacy.com for relatives of the departed.

The FDCPA says "any person" who has suffeered a violation may sue.

The FDCPA says "any person" who has suffeered a violation may sue.

And why would you bother trying with an untraceable scammer? Waste of time.

It matters not one iota what you want to call them. The reality is that, with a dead party in the mix, this IS an estate issue. As such, ALL matters go to the executor/executrix. It does not matter if it is for defaulted debt or something else. The ONLY person that should be having the discussions is the party named in the Will to serve as executor/executrix. I do not understand why people don't want to grasp this element of law...

It matters not one iota what you want to call them. The reality is that, with a dead party in the mix, this IS an estate issue. As such, ALL matters go to the executor/executrix. It does not matter if it is for defaulted debt or something else. The ONLY person that should be having the discussions is the party named in the Will to serve as executor/executrix. I do not understand why people don't want to grasp this element of law...

Because it is a waste of time that will actually enbolden the scammer to ramp up communications and efforts. If it's an obvious scam, there is no need to forward it to anyone. Not only that, it is impossible to forward it to the executor of the estate since there is NO CONTACT INFORMATION to forward. It's a waste of time to even think about it.

If you answer your phone, they know they have a valid number and will intensify, as mentioned.

Because it is a waste of time that will actually enbolden the scammer to ramp up communications and efforts. If it's an obvious scam, there is no need to forward it to anyone. Not only that, it is impossible to forward it to the executor of the estate since there is NO CONTACT INFORMATION to forward. It's a waste of time to even think about it.

It emboldens nobody. If anything, it stops it DEAD cold.

Put it this way...you give the third-party the name of the executor/executrix. That person then gets a call and advises of the death. Any further calls get a quick trip to the courthouse where a Probate Judge will be quick to grant the ex parte relief sought.

I don't get why people don't want to follow established probate practices. It makes no sense. I guess this is YET ANOTHER reason why I am glad I do not take on pissant cases, err I mean consumer debt claims.

If you answer your phone, they know they have a valid number and will intensify, as mentioned.

It is clear you have never practiced in the Probate realm...

What you dont understand is that they will keep calling you no matter what number you give them. Now they will be contacting more than 1 person nonstop. I have dealt with this enough to understand that there is absolutely no reason to engage a scammer because of the results. Should they also forward any emails from Nigeria?