butterflywings

Chargeback with Discover

I started the Chargeback process with Discover this week.

I ordered 14 trees from an online seller (not Ebay) and they arrived with a dastardly fungal infection. If it gets in your yard it will spread to any and all plants susceptible to it, and kill them. I tried calling them immediately, and left a message, and they never returned my call. I emailed them a ton of close up pictures and video. Still, they never got back to me.

I sent one last email offering to ship them back at MY expense. After a week of being ghosted, I called Discover. The guy was great; he said he credited my account immediately but that it would take 48 hours to show the credit.

I notified the seller that since they weren't responding to me, I began the chargeback process. That got their attention. They immediately wrote me back, and said the plants didn't have that particular fungal infection, and that the plants looked like that because of something that must've been in the air around my yard. <_<

I guess I'm just wondering if they dispute the charge back, how does Discover decide who wins?

In my experience, Amex and Discover have a more lenient CB process, which is along the lines of "return the money from seller to buyer, remove ourselves from the process, let them sort it." Unlike Visa/MC, they don't seem to fine the seller. So technically, you "still owe" the seller, but Discover isn't going to process the payment.

Of course, you owing and them collecting are two different things. They'd have to prove fraud on your part. Your photos, your correspondence, and their lack of a response is enough that they have no change.

I started the Chargeback process with Discover this week.

I ordered 14 trees from an online seller (not Ebay) and they arrived with a dastardly fungal infection. If it gets in your yard it will spread to any and all plants susceptible to it, and kill them. I tried calling them immediately, and left a message, and they never returned my call. I emailed them a ton of close up pictures and video. Still, they never got back to me.

I sent one last email offering to ship them back at MY expense. After a week of being ghosted, I called Discover. The guy was great; he said he credited my account immediately but that it would take 48 hours to show the credit.

I notified the seller that since they weren't responding to me, I began the chargeback process. That got their attention. They immediately wrote me back, and said the plants didn't have that particular fungal infection, and that the plants looked like that because of something that must've been in the air around my yard. <_<

I guess I'm just wondering if they dispute the charge back, how does Discover decide who wins?

Discover will generally find in your favor. They may ask you to return the items to the seller at the seller's expense. Generally when the seller knows they are going to lose they will help you return the items.

Thank you for your responses.

I will gladly send back the trees, even at my expense like I mentioned. I made it clear to them that I was not trying to keep anything for free.

I took a long video, well my dh took it, of me holding each individual tree up close, and showing all the leaves that were infected. The trees are still all in the backyard, and if they want them back, I will ship them immediately.

In my experience, Amex and Discover have a more lenient CB process, which is along the lines of "return the money from seller to buyer, remove ourselves from the process, let them sort it." Unlike Visa/MC, they don't seem to fine the seller. So technically, you "still owe" the seller, but Discover isn't going to process the payment.

Of course, you owing and them collecting are two different things. They'd have to prove fraud on your part. Your photos, your correspondence, and their lack of a response is enough that they have no change.

I'm a little spooked by that. I guess I'll see how it all plays out. Look, I wanted these trees. This isn't a case where I had buyer's remorse or anything.

This isn't the first time I've received plants with a fungal infection. It happened to me back in 2009. I bought 3 red maple trees that were covered in anthracnose, and I didn't do anything about it. But $300 is more than I'm willing to take a loss on.

I hope it goes my way. I really did try to do the right thing here. I'll update if anything happens.

You have made repeated attempts to contact the seller, and they have been unresponsive. You have documented the problem with the merchandise. I would be extremely surprised if Discover does not find in your favor. I've never had a chargeback denied.

You have made repeated attempts to contact the seller, and they have been unresponsive. You have documented the problem with the merchandise. I would be extremely surprised if Discover does not find in your favor. I've never had a chargeback denied.

Have you ever done a chargeback with Discovery?

Question... Why did you not pursue action through eBays dispute resolution process? eBay likely would have found in your favor, eliminating the need to file a credit card chargeback. The seller wouldn't be able to come after you for payment in the future either as they're subject to eBay's seller guidelines.

Have you ever done a chargeback with Discovery?

No, but I've done chargebacks with Discover.

Question... Why did you not pursue action through eBays dispute resolution process? eBay likely would have found in your favor, eliminating the need to file a credit card chargeback. The seller wouldn't be able to come after you for payment in the future either as they're subject to eBay's seller guidelines.

The OP said it was not an eBay purchase.

Wow, do I have a huge (well, to me it's huge!) update to tell.

Okay, so I hadn't heard anything from Discover, and for some reason my intuition was telling me that the nursery fought the charge back. I didn't look at my account to see if the credit of the $330 had been removed, I just called Discover.

I got a woman on the phone who was professional, but she really frustrated me to no end. She told me you know that the credit we extended to you was only a provisional credit, right? Right then I knew I had lost the chargeback.

I said so, what you're telling me is that the nursery fought back, and Discover sided with them? She said the nursery provided a receipt of your purchase. I said so what! What does that have anything to do with my chargeback?! I'm not claiming fraud or identity theft.  I said these plants have a fungal infection, and she says I understand that, and I understand the infection too. I know what you're saying is true, because I took 2 years of biology. I agree with you the infection was already on your plant. But the nursery gave us a receipt that you paid for them.

I said so, bottom line, you aren't going to help me? She said there is nothing I can do, Discover is the middle man here, we don't make the decision. I feel bad for you, but there is nothing I can do.

I said cancel my account, right now. She said okay and transferred me to someone named Olivia in Salt Lake City. Olivia was great! She said I don't know the first thing about plants, (lol) but I am going to help you. She said I'm going to get the nursery on the phone, I said there is no way they're going to be open at this hour. It was Friday early evening. But a miracle occurred and the woman at the nursery answered the phone.

Olivia said this is Olivia at Discover, your call is being recorded, and I have so and so on the phone and I was wondering what you could do for her. The woman said "they don't have a fungal disease, I told her that", and I interjected and said they do too. Olivia said to the woman at the nursery look, these plants are not what BFW wanted so can you send her replacements and I jumped in and said I don't want replacements. Olivia said what amount are you willing to refund BFW? The woman at the nursery gave a long pause and then in the most venomous, ticked off angry tone she said "fine I will refund her!" Olivia said how much will you refund her and the woman said the full amount, the full $330! Olivia said thank you so and so. I have put the notes down that you are immediately refunding her is that correct, and the nursery woman said yes, I am doing it right now. A few minutes later I got an email from them notifying me they refunded me.

I was so happy I asked Olivia to put me through to her supervisor so I could tell him what a great job she did. I said I hope she gets some sort of recognition for it and he said she will, I am sitting right next to her and he laughed. He said the other girl you talked to could have done the same thing as Olivia so I am going to have a talk with her, and I said look she was completely professional with me, he said I understand that, but everyone around here needs to know that they should do a 3-way to help negotiate in these situations.

All's well that ends well, I guess.

I think the lesson here is that Discovery is horrible with chargebacks, which is well documented.  

I'm glad you got your money back, but good lord.  A reputable credit card company would have found in your favor and not forced you to confront the merchant directly over the phone.

You should still close your Discovery.  It's an awful card from an awful company when it really matters.

On 7/1/2018 at 1:58 PM, cv91915 said:

I think the lesson here is that Discovery is horrible with chargebacks, which is well documented.  

I'm glad you got your money back, but good lord.  A reputable credit card company would have found in your favor and not forced you to confront the merchant directly over the phone.

You should still close your Discovery.  It's an awful card from an awful company when it really matters.

Thank you!

I have to admit, it was very uncomfortable doing that 3 way, even though I defended my position and the end result was found in my favor. Olivia had a lot of swagger. You would've thought she was my personal attorney the way she took over and helped me. I will never forget her.

I am spooked now, though, about shopping with Discover. Now that I know  they don't defend their customers at all when it comes to charge-backs. If this had been American Express, I am guessing my 3 way would've never been needed. Thank you for giving me a heads up on Discover. I don't know what bad experiences you had with them, but they must've been really bad.

On 7/1/2018 at 2:19 PM, hegemony said:

congrats! let's hope we call get Olivia when we call.

Definitely. I hope you all do, too. I put her on blast on Twitter on Friday as well, thanking her.  When someone goes out of their way to help me, I make sure everyone knows.