Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

How do I get "hard copy" / Paper credit reports?

The last post in this topic was posted 865 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I searched the site, I promise. This subject really needs to be a PINNED topic!

Question: How does one go about getting a hard copy/paper copy of their credit reports (all 3 bureaus) mailed to them? Is there only one way to do it (phone, online, etc)? Paying for it isn't the issue, getting it is.

Thanks!

I searched the site, I promise. This subject really needs to be a PINNED topic!

Question: How does one go about getting a hard copy/paper copy of their credit reports (all 3 bureaus) mailed to them? Is there only one way to do it (phone, online, etc)? Paying for it isn't the issue, getting it is.

Thanks!

you can send a written request for a free annual report from any of the reporting agencies listed on the PDF in this link;

https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=500241

if you utilize a free annual report from they can add another 15 days to the reinvestigation / dispute process,

but then again, you save serious $$$ if you are paying for multiple reports

do not use a combined report ( TU , EX and EQ combined ) for disputes

2nd; if you file a dispute with one CRA , it has to notify the other CRA's that the debt is disputed.

If you have been denied credit, you can use the denial as recourse to get a free report from that agency.

Some have been known to app for a card for this express purpose.

As noted, using the annualcreditreport.com will get you your Big Three reports for free, once a year if nothing else - and can be useful if starting out for the first time, or starting over, from the basics... but not the best to dispute from, since 30 days becomes 45 days under it. Generally, they have 30 days to investigate and that also is synonymous with reply, don't quote me on that, there was some major confusion earlier on and the letter that contained the 30 day verbage for when YOU write THEM does seem to have been removed from all Internets... but there are other actions 30 days pertains to. All that comes later.

But yes, if disputing, you want them to have as little time as possible (30 days, not 45 days)

As thus, disputing online or off the free through annualcreditreport.com is not recommended.

If you are going to dispute anything on your credit reports, DO NOT get the free annual report. Although it may cost you some money, starting the dispute process while giving the CRAs 45 days to complete disputes can be the difference between getting negatives deleted or having them stuck to your reports for the entire reporting period.

If you have been denied credit, you can use the denial as recourse to get a free report from that agency.

As noted, using the annualcreditreport.com will get you your Big Three reports for free, once a year if nothing else - and can be useful if starting out for the first time, or starting over, from the basics... but not the best to dispute from, since 30 days becomes 45 days under it. Generally, they have 30 days to investigate and that also is synonymous with reply, don't quote me on that, there was some major confusion earlier on and the letter that contained the 30 day verbage for when YOU write THEM does seem to have been removed from all Internets... but there are other actions 30 days pertains to. All that comes later.

But yes, if disputing, you want them to have as little time as possible (30 days, not 45 days)

As thus, disputing online or off the free through annualcreditreport.com is not recommended.

I wouldn't waste an inquiry just to get a copy of my credit file for free. That seems a bit immature.

I wouldn't waste an inquiry just to get a copy of my credit file for free. That seems a bit immature.

I agree.

I would also suggest that if the cost of credit reports seems to be a financial burden, that the primary focus should first be financial stability and not credit repair.

https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=542925

if your goal is just checking out all your bank, rental and employment history, use the links

also LN full file disclosure is helpful for sorting out any mix ups

I agree.

I would also suggest that if the cost of credit reports seems to be a financial burden, that the primary focus should first be financial stability and not credit repair.

That's a great thread, and a great statement.

I agree.

That's a great thread, and a great statement.

Moriarty: thank you for endorsing my and mendelssohn's comments. I looked up several of your posts throughout the day and notice your writing style seems very familiar to me. By chance did you forget your member name and just start another account here? Breeze and I can always help you out with that if you did. My curiosity begs to be confirmed. Did you know bears are curious animals?

What does this mean?

Lexis Nexus Full file Disclosure

all your public records, employment history, addresses, insurance claims , going back since whenever

https://personalreports.lexisnexis.com/access_your_full_file_disclosure.jsp

Mine went back to like my second apt rental in the 80's

since they are just a data base and sell information to the CRA's , they can keep these records on file

HOWEVER,

there are cases of Mixed files , wrong person, same name, wrong addresses, etc etc.

so it's best to get a copy and make sure it's clean ( mine was, but horror stories exist)

LN States it's non disputable- but that's not true if the information is factually incorrect / wrong person etc.

What does this mean?

all your public records, employment history, addresses, insurance claims , going back since whenever

since they are just a data base and sell information to the CRA's , they can keep these records on file

HOWEVER,

there are cases of Mixed files , wrong person, same name, wrong addresses, etc etc.

so it's best to get a copy and make sure it's clean ( mine was, but horror stories exist)

LN States it's non disputable- but that's not true if the information is factually incorrect / wrong person etc.

What does this mean?

HOWEVER,

+1000. I'm cleaning up a horror show right now. 500+ pages of information, much of which belongs to someone else of the same name with different SSN, some of which is derogatory. I have a dispute in progress which they claimed will be completed within 30 days.

Edited by ivymike

Can you just freeze LN instead?

Freezing has it limits - might stop pulls for Credit or insurance applications, BUT

if you have been mixed up with others in the " Public Records" part as in civil judgments, committing felonies or serving jail time - it's best to get those cleaned up

and you won't know unless you pull the full file disclosure.

And Yeah, it's an outlier, but known to have happened.

The last post in this topic was posted 865 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.