Sign in to follow this  
Innocent_Kiss

CA "verified" via email?

Is this a thing now? TrueAccord sent an email with a "Your Request for Verification" as the subject.

We've finished processing your request, and we have confirmed that you owe a balance of $XX with PNC Bank.

You can print your debt validation document here. We will now continue to collect on this verified debt balance.

If you have additional questions, please contact us at (866) 611-2731 or reply to this email.

Best,
TrueAccord

Should I download it? Does this count as validation? I've never received validation via email. How do they know I read it? There's no return receipt.

I am guessing the 'print validation document here' had HERE as a link. And since it is a bank, am guessing it is a statement copy or an image of a returned item.

Without knowing what else there was and whether it was a link OR how you wrote your request, it might pass muster in litigation or it might not.

That case is a little off point. She requested verification, which is not subject to the 5 day rule discussed in Lavallee. There is no time frame for verification, since it is assumed the information will have to come from a third party the DC has no control over. The only restriction is that they have to stop collection efforts until they provide verification., which they appear to have done.

It looks like they complied with the FDCPA. They can prove the email was sent and received. Almost everything is done by email now, and courts generally accept it as a valid means.

Nope, this came directly to my inbox. The print validation document here is a link. I sent a validation request via postal mail.

My question was not looking at the form in which you sent your original communication but rather what specifically was in the content. Generic crap begets generic crap.

The case linked in this thread speaks to an original notification, not the reply. As such, it would take some serious bootstrapping to get where you needed with that case. But without even knowing WHAT they have provided, there may not even BE a case.

Is this the beginning of a trend? CAs responding to DV letters via what they believe is an e-mail?

My question would be, how they got the e-mail address, and how they verified that.

If there is some kind of precedent that a reply to something sent (either by regular or USPS CM-RRR) can be in electronic form, then what is next.. text messages? :dntknw: - and how would they verify those numbers?

These could be dangerous new waters. If a C&D demand was made, then the e-mail should be out of bounds......

Is this the beginning of a trend? CAs responding to DV letters via what they believe is an e-mail?

My question would be, how they got the e-mail address, and how they verified that.

If there is some kind of precedent that a reply to something sent (either by regular or USPS CM-RRR) can be in electronic form, then what is next.. text messages? :dntknw: - and how would they verify those numbers?

These could be dangerous new waters. If a C&D demand was made, then the e-mail should be out of bounds......

Without knowing what OP does for THEIR letterhead, it is entirely possible that it was either included in the materials from the original creditor OR it is in the letterhead used by the individual. If you got email from the OC, then you HAVE to presume the information was forwarded to the third-party with whom the matter was placed or sold.

Personally, i have no issue with a move to email given the ability to include delivery and read receipts with the outgoing email. Admittedly, I tend to be more inclined to fax with a hard copy being sent by regular mail run through my meter in those rare instances I do a letter for someone. But there is nothing that makes this 'dangerous new waters.'

The risks of using email are minimal, but they do exist. They run the risk of third party disclosure. When the FDCPA was passed in the 70s, there was no such thing as email. They haven't updated the statute, so it's a gray area.